Teal & orange colour grading in films - will it ever stop?

RoyBGood

Doctor of Teleocity
I was watching a 'Top 10 at the movies' programme last night and due to the annoying practice of digitally tweaking the colours in modern films, the programme basically looked like one long trailer for the same film! This obnoxious and pointless trend drives me crazy to the point of simply avoiding new films now. This fad has started to creep into TV productions (the recent 'Cold War' episodes of the otherwise superb 'Foyle's War' have been given an artificial-looking 'washed-out' look to emphasise the austerity of the period in England). It's even spreading to TV adverts, FFS!

The link below shows I'm not alone in my dislike of this distracting trend and I wondered how others here felt about it.

http://theabyssgazes.blogspot.co.uk/2010/03/teal-and-orange-hollywood-please-stop.html

Bill

Poster Extraordinaire
Some years ago blue was the in color, especially in cop shows wanting to look sincere. That was coupled with intentionally shaky handheld camera work. I remember one of the Bourne movies being nearly unwatchable because of that.

RoyBGood

Doctor of Teleocity
Some years ago blue was the in color, especially in cop shows wanting to look sincere. That was coupled with intentionally shaky handheld camera work. I remember one of the Bourne movies being nearly unwatchable because of that.

'nearly unwatchable'? :mad:

ricknbaker

Tele-Afflicted
Didn't it all start back in 1971 with Le Mans?

GulfPorsche.jpg

falcon5romeo

Tele-Holic
It's not nearly as annoying as the typical male tough-guy hero character who needs to sound tough and rough so he always speaks in a quiet voice using vocal fry. Even when he's 'yelling' at people during explosions....ugh. Use your big boy voice.

TMMC

Tele-Afflicted
The 2000s were the WORST with this. Late 90s too. Alien Ressurection, Serenity...even good movies were affected! Ha ha ha. Hollywood trends, that's all. Over contrast, tinting, camera shake, quick zoom, all kinds of things that are "now" until they aren't.

But this has probably been my least favorite trend in the past twenty years.

soulgeezer

Poster Extraordinaire
I blame Zack Snyder.

(That position may actually be defensible, but it doesn't change the fact that I blame Zack Snyder for everything wrong in all movies, always. Who keeps hiring this guy? He made one good movie [Watchmen] and one passable movie [300], then proceeded to make the single worst movie in the history of film [Sucker Punch] and ruin Superman, Batman, and the entire DC universe - all of which exhibit the color wash effect to an unacceptably, overwhelmingly annoying degree - and he is probably responsible for the entire trend. Even if he's not, I'm still going to blame him! Somebody, please, revoke this moron's DGA card!)

kkfaudio

TDPRI Member
Screw the color
Let's stone the sound guys who think a dialog you can't hear and/or a loud high pitch whine is great in a movie
Gotta stick up for sound guys here: we do what the director/producer wants. We may try to steer things one way or another, but ultimately, it's not our decision (and likely not our choice...)

soulgeezer

Poster Extraordinaire
Gotta stick up for sound guys here: we do what the director/producer wants. We may try to steer things one way or another, but ultimately, it's not our decision (and likely not our choice...)

DING DING DING DING DING DING DING!!!!!!!!!! NO MORE CALLS PLEASE; WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!!!!!!

This is exactly why I never blame an actor for a bad performance. Whatever ends up on the screen is what the director wanted there. Actors and other crew members are tools used by the director to "achieve his vision." So, unless a director's work has been screwed with by the studio and he has disavowed it by removing his name and substituting "Allen Smithee," it's the director's fault. Every. Single. Time.

Fun list of bad movies: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Smithee

Musekatcher

Friend of Leo's
DING DING DING DING DING DING DING!!!!!!!!!! NO MORE CALLS PLEASE; WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!!!!!!

This is exactly why I never blame an actor for a bad performance. Whatever ends up on the screen is what the director wanted there. Actors and other crew members are tools used by the director to "achieve his vision." So, unless a director's work has been screwed with by the studio and he has disavowed it by removing his name and substituting "Allen Smithee," it's the director's fault. Every. Single. Time.

Never use your power for evil. Take the high road, or destroy the profession for all.

TMMC

Tele-Afflicted

I've worked in the biz some. I've done some writing, some acting, some producing. Actors can absolutely be a part of the yuck-factor, but a director and even the editor have a huge amount of responsibility. That said, those who feel like they can simply throw a canned wash over something (in this case the over-contrast, orange/blue saturation, but it could be autotune or whatever) are really missing the point of creating something.

24 track

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I hate laugh tracks, I cant watch a show that tells me when something is funny, it started with 3 & 1/2 Men ,I listened to an episode while doing some thing else and it hit me , now I cant watch sit coms and have a limited viewing of TV, all reality shows are garbage 300 channels and nothing on, its as anoying as the color saturation issue.

soulgeezer

Poster Extraordinaire
I hate laugh tracks, I cant watch a show that tells me when something is funny, it started with 3 & 1/2 Men ,I listened to an episode while doing some thing else and it hit me , now I cant watch sit coms and have a limited viewing of TV, all reality shows are garbage 300 channels and nothing on, its as anoying as the color saturation issue.

I actually prefer laugh tracks on sitcoms. I've been watching sitcoms for 50 years and for all that time, they've included laugh tracks. Now, when I watch a show without a laugh track, it just seems awkward to me, as the actors pause for the expected laugh that never comes. Eliminating the laugh track throws the timing off and just leaves you with characters staring at each other, while they wait for the imaginary audience to stop laughing.

Laugh tracks aren't there to tell you when to laugh; they're there to fill in the empty spaces where the audience is anticipated to laugh. That's a very different thing!