Teaching how to solo

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Bergy, May 1, 2019.

1. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Meister

Anyone use strategies that worked either really well or really poorly? I’ve been soloing for a long time and feel like I am overlooking some things. I’ve been pretty good at training up rhythm guitarists, now a few of em are chomping at the bit to dive into lead guitar player skills. I have been less effective at communicating those skills.

2. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Holic

Remember to tell a story, and build tension as you go.

3. picknfool

picknfool Tele-Holic

Some tools soloists need: scales, arpeggios,and awareness of phrasing all important. You don't have to have the whole neck under control- just a couple of positions.

4. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Friend of Leo's

I like to try and teach students a guitar solo from a famous recording- something simple (or appropriate for the student's ability level). The solo from Folsom Prison Blues is a pretty good beginner one. JUST THE FIRST SOLO from Sweet Child O' Mine is a pretty easy one too.
    I really push my students to learn how to spell chords, so we can analyze these solos and explain why those solos sound so good to our ears.
    Good luck!

AAT65 likes this.
  5. Zercado

Zercado TDPRI Member

What has helped me is learning triads and then connecting them with scales. It allows you to follow the changes and to sound melodic.(I got this same tip here about 1 1/2 years ago and it made a huge difference in my playing). Best of luck!

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    McGlamRock likes this.
  6. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

I started using kind of a modified CAGED method about 18 months ago and I think it really improved my lead playing.

7. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

1) Learn the minor pentatonic scale.
    2) Use your ear to learn which notes can be played at certain parts of the progression.
    3) Memorize a handful of repeating patterns or "licks" that you can jump to in the event that you draw a blank while soloing (I got this from an old Doug Marks Metal Method lesson).
    4) After all of this, then start finding your own voice. That will come naturally.

TeleAnthony likes this.
  8. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Holic

I wrote up a page about it on my little site, HERE. Basically, I think in terms of it as a combination of improvisation and composition.

Bob

Harry Styron likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.