1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Teach your kids to play golf.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dented, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Texicaster

Texicaster Friend of Leo's

What about a golfing guitarist?

[​IMG]

dented likes this.
  2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I think maybe I remember hearing that those guys never actually played their instruments :)

1955 and Texicaster like this.
  3. Texicaster

I think the Monkees did their studio work!

D

dented likes this.
  4. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Golf? Hrrrrmph!

As a kid growing up in England I was a pretty decent soccer player. I read on the BBC website just today that only 180 of the 1.5m boys playing organized youth football in England will ever play a single minute at the highest professional level. I guess I was one of the 1,499,820.

dented likes this.
  5. Fredhead59

Fredhead59 TDPRI Member

Golf courses are a waste of real estate.
    Like ALL sports the players are WAY overplayed.
    Golf is a snob elitist game. Why? It's boring as hell.
    One last thought-archery is the best all around sport. It's harder than golf and can be played anywhere.
    GsOuLxF

SRHmusic likes this.
  6. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

I'll take my chances with golf balls over arrows in most spaces.

KevinB and dented like this.
  7. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

Thanks for sharing your point.

Chip likes this.
  8. Texicaster

Bottom line is Golf is THE coolest sport!

No other sport is more rock and roll. Being at the golf course instead of a meeting is the ultimate disdain for responsibility! Alice Cooper golfs! Willie Nelson Golfs!

No other sport can absolutely defeat a man. You get pulled from every other sport but in golf you HAVE to play all 18 even when choking hard! No time outs! No do overs! Ask Jordan Spieth! Guys can go from the top to out of the sport with one bad round......

US Open is THE coolest sporting event as an amateur can and while it's been a while, DO win!

Once you strike a ball properly; it's an addiction!

dented, Chip and sax4blues like this.
  9. KevinB

No do overs? What's this Mulligan thing then? :)

No addiction here, although I do live on a community built around a golf course with a lovely view of the 13th fairway from my back yard, from where I can watch fat old white guys playing poor golf every day!

dented, Texicaster and Toto'sDad like this.
  10. hnryclay

hnryclay Tele-Meister

I spend way more on guitars, amps, and beer in a year than I do on golf, and I play three times a week if the weather cooperates. Golf stopped being an elite sport a long time ago in the USA. I think the most elite sport/hobby in my area is equestrian. Next up would be bass fishing, I have no idea how people afford that hobby. 80000 dollar boat that coats 100 dollars to fill up with gas loaded with thousands of dollars in gear.

dented likes this.
  11. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Beeep, da beeed, beeeeep:

This just in, fat old white guys also frequent Walmart, Harbor Freight, AutoZone and Carl's junior quite frequently! They're everywhere I tells ya, everywhere!

dented, KevinB and Chip like this.
  12. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Afflicted

Lee Trevino said that pressure is a $100 bet when you only have 20 bucks in your pocket. A lot of money changing hands on the golf course.

dented and Chip like this.
  13. dazzaman

dazzaman Tele-Afflicted

I lived in Scotland for the best part of 30 years, so I did play golf. It seems everyone there plays it, so it isn’t seen as particularly elitist. I haven’t played for a few years, but would certainly have a round if I got a chance.

I had a customer who had been a professional golfer in the late sixties. He was pretty good - played in the British Open a few times, and nearly got selected for the Ryder Cup. When he left the tour he tooI a job as a golf pro at a club near where he lived. And he was probably financially better off over all due to that than playing on the tour. He certainly wasn’t short a pound or two. Nor is his son who is also a golf pro at a club.

But for him it was a job and that was it. When he retired from the club he basically packed it in - I think he played two rounds in the last ten or so years of his life following retirement. I asked him why, and he said “well, if I worked in an office I would go back there after I retired”.

The moral I took from that story is that you you are passionate about something, don’t do it as a living, because it will take all the passion out of it for you. That is obviously a simplistic view, of course.

dented and Toto'sDad like this.
  14. Toto'sDad

Rory Mcillroy has been quoted, in fact I saw him on a David Feherty's show say that unless the money was there, he's really not interested in playing golf anymore. Rory is sometimes brilliant, more so than just about anyone in golf, then he can in an instant turn into Jerry Lewis on the golf course, last week he hit his drive out of bounds into someone's SWIMMING POOL! Losing 6 and 5 to Ian Poulter for Pete's sake. I like Ian, but he's no where near in the same class as Rory, well when Rory is being Rory, but when he's being Jerry?

dented likes this.
  15. KevinB

Well, I do qualify for 2 of those 3 adjectives.

But while I do go to Autozone once in a while I avoid those other places like the plague.

dented and Toto'sDad like this.
  16. Toto'sDad

But, but, you'll never get to see!

[​IMG]

KevinB and dented like this.
  17. Chip

Chip Friend of Leo's

Here’s my son’s story....

When he was three years old he taught himself how to throw a ball in the air and hit it with a plastic bat. By the time he was four he was hitting a bucket of tennis balls over our two story house. He’d hit them from the backyard to the front yard and back again for hours at a time. As soon as he was old enough for tee ball his baseball career began. He was always the best hitter on every recreation team he played on and then tried out and made an elite travel team. He was tremendously successful at the plate and in the field playing second base. Unfortunately his coach was a total jackass and some of the parents took it waaaay to seriously. You’d think these 10 year olds were playing in Major League Baseball. It’s sad when adults suck the fun out of it for the kids. Needless to say my son had had enough and didn’t want to play on that team anymore.
    So, I suggested a sport that you still hit a ball and you don’t have to rely on teammates. It’s just you and the ball. He took to golf like a fish to water!
    After only playing a few times with myself and his mother he joined the middle school team. He was the best on the team both years. He also played in a Saturday morning league and has been one of the best for his age every year. He’s been on the high school team for two years lettering in his first. He’s held the third position on the team both years behind seniors and he’s lead the team in putting both years. Next year, his junior year, I expect he’ll be number one on the team.
    I’m so proud of him and what he’s done and his attitude on the course. Everyone loves to play with him. I’ve had players from other schools tell me just that.

Here are a couple of videos of him staying way after practice was over to hit more balls. The driving range was empty and closed but there was Max...

dented likes this.
  18. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

I found a golf ball under a bunch of compacted leaves running a tractor today.

I’ve played music at a lot of country clubs over the years.

For the members who were comfortable with the discrepancy between our respective accumulated wealth, I’ve had some good conversations. I was surprised at how envious many said they were that all I did (at the time) was music, nursing amber demons in neat gaze glasses.

I reckon I’m rich with experience and confidence from doing what everybody said couldn’t be done.

I could enjoy golf if the priorities were taken care of.

Went to the driving range with my coworkers a year ago. It was only the second time I’d ever done that in my lifetime. Never actually played a game besides putt-putt.

It is a difficult game to master, and I don’t like to play games I’m not good at. My competitive side would have me spending money I don’t have.

dented likes this.
  19. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

I was messing with a receptionists head at a Doctors office one day. She seemed gullible & I went for the throat. She had recently married. I asked if he played golf, she said yes. I asked if she noticed you can't talk to golfers. Like for 3-4 hours if they played 18. Then I told her many golfers love golf cause of the excuse to get away. Be with the Boys & who knows what else. I told here the game is a blessing for guys who want to be alone or a great vehicle for cheaters. Her eyes were buggin out when I was done. And, I enjoyed it and had fun. I'm sick, I know.

20. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

Golf is not great for an ADD guy like me. I would and have twisted & turned. I have been on a real course three times. And, on an easy course in Studio City, I had a hole in one. At 66, I have the feeling that one good golf swing, should throw my back out for a few days.

dented likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.