1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Teach your kids to play golf.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dented, Mar 28, 2021.

1. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Can't have a golf thread without a Caddyshack video...

SRHmusic, BobbyZ, dented and 3 others like this.
  2. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

yes teach them to play golf..its money in da bank!!

dented and Toto'sDad like this.
  3. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

golf is a great teaching tool
    your opponents are unrelenting: the golf course.....and your mind
    and the player calls penalties when appropriate

Stubee likes this.
  4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

golf has devolved to be among the worst of the elitist "sports"

let's bring golf back to it's drunken, murderous roots, and then you're talking :cool:

Really King James II had the right idea, regarding golf.

He outlawed it.

5. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

In college we used to all get together and drink beer and watch Caddyshack.
    I’m saving golf for when I get old.

dented and getbent like this.
  6. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

@W.L.Weller, that article hits the nail on the thumb! And except for the few who get product-endorsement deals, the big-purse elites don't get contracts the way ballplayers do. . . .

My son was playing with another long-hitter like himself. They teed off on a long par five that had a rise 300 yards down the fairway, which obscured the view of the green. Ordinarily a good long drive would lay up high on the slope, where a good long-hitter could see the green, and reach it for a birdie opportunity, maybe even an eagle. My son's buddy really stood on his tee shot, and actually flew the rise. They hurried to my son's ball laid up near the crest, anxious to see how far his buddy's ball had gone.

Their enthusiasm faded when they reached the crest, because there on the other side of the rise was a golfer, laid out cold on the ground, with my son's buddy's ball lying close by him. Panicked, they ran up to him, the friend yelling, "Omigosh, are you all right?"

The man began to stir. In obvious pain, he said, "You hit me right in the head!"

My son's buddy said, "Oh, man, I'm sorry! You okay?"

The guy was awake now, and he was pissed. "Mister, I'll have you know that I am a licensed attorney, and I'm going to sue you for five million dollars!"

"But I yelled, 'fore!'" my son's friend protested.

The lawyer seemed to settle down a bit, rubbing his head and thinking for a moment. "I'll take it," he said.

7. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Or we could teach our kids math, probability and statistics. 37m people play golf in this country every year.

SRHmusic, dented, Stubee and 3 others like this.
  8. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Afflicted

I'd have a little more compassion for golf if the people who were into it would just drive to the edge of cities and not try to turn every available square foot of public park into their private clubs. It just kills me when I see 200 people crammed into a little green space trying to picnic with their families while four dudes in a cart enjoy acre upon acre. If you have time for 18 holes you have time to drive an extra 20 minutes each way.

SRHmusic, Toto'sDad and MilwMark like this.
  9. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

.... don't forget too that most of those players would also get a big fat check from various golf related entities - just for showing up!
    (Which is one reason why golf balls and clubs are so expensive for us mere mortals to buy!)

dented likes this.
  10. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Afflicted

I agree that exposure to and encouragement for any worthwhile interest at a young age is a great gift to a child.

But speaking of learning golf, there are college golf scholarships available to women athletes, as well as men. It might be easier for a female to earn a golf scholarship than for a male since there are fewer woman playing golf.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
    dented likes this.
  11. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

12. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

my take is if I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it.

My kids did learn to play golf, the girls are better than the boy, and one of my daughters is really good.

I told them the reason to learn and be pretty good at it is business. Lots of business gets done on the golf course.

I told them learning to ski is similar. If you can ski, you open up financial opportunity in ways non skiiers and non golfers do not have.

Not saying it is right, but it is true.

dented, Mad Kiwi, Stubee and 2 others like this.
  13. tbp0701

tbp0701 Tele-Afflicted

I used to want to learn golf, but it was out of my price range. But I spent some time on courses, taking photos and writing copy for a tourism board. Being on the greens was nice but overheard conversations badly soured the experience. I'm socially awkward, anyway, so I'd prefer a hike or bikeride.

SRHmusic, dented and electrichead like this.
  14. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Those "skins" games on TV would be worth watching if the players were actually putting up their own money. As it is, they have nothing to lose.

15. horsespatoot

horsespatoot Tele-Holic

Played quite a bit of golf throughout my life. In all of the rounds I played over the years, I had a chance at three Eagle putts.
    I three putt every single one of them.
    Nope, don’t think I had the right stuff to go on tour.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  16. Toto'sDad

It's definitely a headspace thing. At my age now, I'm not capable of reaching a five in two shots. Whenever I was younger though, clear up into my early sixties, I could still do it. I made a ton of eagles, but first I had to learn to just treat the putt like any other. I had my share of pars on fives after being on, but one day, I made an eagle, and that was that. I used to keep all of my eagle balls in a plastic bucket, one day I realized that there were now so many of them, I honestly had lost thought of where I had made them, so I just dumped 'em in my shag bag. I do have two of the balls I made a hole in one with, but the third I have no idea where it went, probably hit it out of bounds on the next hole! :lol:

dented and Stubee like this.
  17. Mjea80

Mjea80 Tele-Meister

Im a firm believer that Tiger Woods paved the way for that kind of prize money.

horsespatoot likes this.
  18. Toto'sDad

That's me, MR. ELITISTS! I actually feel sorry for you that you not only don't play golf, but that you don't even know what you are missing. I've made lifelong friends on the golf course, had days where I was down more money than I had in my pocket, where I pulled it together and walked away a winner instead of a loser. I was down four hundred bucks once, and managed to jack the bet around to where I birdied a very difficult par 3 of some 235 yards to win enough to scrub my deficit and walk away a winner! I've captained teams where we all won seven hundred and fifty bucks apiece and had a great story to tell. My son and I had a match with one of his co-workers and his father in law. We won on the last hole on a beautiful golf course at the coast! My son said afterwards, I had such a great time it didn't really matter whether we won or lost. I said well it makes a much better story when you WIN!

edhead, dented and Stubee like this.
  19. Informal

Informal Tele-Afflicted

So many good points..

2 of the 3 different Pro's I took lessons from years ago, told me to watch women's golf, not men's for tips, tempo etc...

And knowing how to play golf, helped my outside sales job tremendously, half of my working life back then, was schmoozing company Owners or Managers, at $150+ a round Golf courses, all on the Corporate Credit card.

Mjea80, dented, getbent and 1 other person like this.
  20. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

I grew up with relatives who play golf but never got the bug. Compared to other sports, golf requires a ton of time upfront to achieve even a basic level of competency.

My brother played competitive golf through college and was a teaching pro at a country club for years before taking a more traditional job with better pay and benefits when he and his wife started having kids. My only point here is that it's exceptionally hard to make a living playing golf let alone make it on a pro tour.

dented likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.