TDPRI'ers who sell online...what is this scam?

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
That is one of the most common text messages you get from scammers. Text him back and say call me....he never will.
One of them did call me on a something I had on Market Place back when I had Facebook. He said that I should trust him, and just go ahead and get the ap so he could send me the money. I told him, I trust you, if you trusted me you could send me a U.S. Postal money order, and as soon as I cashed it, I'd send the "item" right along that very day! He didn't call me anymore.

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
At least he didn't say he was an oil prince and his son wants to give you 6 million. Glad you reognized the scam. They always have some multi-step process, that doesn't involve a straight exchange of item for cash.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
If it's an out of the area call, it's probably a scam. I've had calls as from far away as Maine on "items" fifteen minutes after putting an ad up, that clearly stated, "local only, cash only." All of them had one thing in common, they were trying to scam me.

PhoenixBill

Tele-Holic
Scammers seem to have all sorts of tricks up their sleeve. If I get a message asking “let me send you a confirmation code to confirm you are a real person” I instantly delete it. Or they’ll email me via Craigslist but want me to email them back directly at some gmail address. Right, then you will have both my email address and the phone number associated with it…instant delete. Or the generic “is it still available? I want to buy it”…often with a direct quote from the ad title. Again, instant delete.

Look, I am here in Phoenix. If you want to buy it, text me and ask when you can look at it and I’ll give you a place (in public) where we can meet. You give me cash, I give you the “item”. I do have a little friend that comes along. He resides inside my waistband, tucked away unseen under my shirt. So far after a whole bunch of transactions both selling and buying I have never had to think about introducing someone to my little friend.

fretWalkr

Tele-Holic
I was told this years ago and it stuck with me. You have to watch out because there are people out there that would rather steal 5 bucks from you than make 10 bucks honestly.

The mindset is foreign to me but it was a good bit of advice. It must be the thrill of successfully conning somebody.

joe.attaboy

Tele-Meister
The simple solution here is a one line response to the "buyer":

What part of "cash only" did you not understand?

Doubtful you're going to hear back, so done and done.

MelodicBend

Tele-Meister
I've seen it all and have bounced, baited, ridiculed, and stalled many scammers in my long internet career.

Stealing an item is only one possible outcome. Scammers usually work in teams and are well resourced. Very rarely these days will you be lucky enough to only get a single stream scam attempt for money or an item. Scammers are now after your identity, profiles, phone numbers, accounts, etc. with huge implications.

Never count on reporting tools, law enforcement, customer service bots, or any fake safeguards. YOU are your only defense. Stay vigilant and educate your friends and loved ones. You never know who can fall victim. A scam that might seem ridiculous or impossible to you might be believable to someone else.

Junkyard Dog

Friend of Leo's
Generally I am VERY reluctant to use any app or system that requires access to my bank account. My employer requires me to use direct deposit for my paycheck, and I even set up a separate bank account (with a different bank) just for that so that they are unable to withdraw anything other than the amount of my paycheck, and even then they would have to be quick about it because I withdraw that myself very quickly and deposit it to another bank.

Last edited:

dogmeat

Friend of Leo's
Even Paypal seems to side with the buyer more often than not.

yeah.... I used to sell a lot on evilbay. PP let me get hosed a couple times so I switched my account so that they get paid only through my credit card. the next tie it happened.... credit card to the rescue. they looked at my dispute and I got the money back. this happened a couple times over about 20 years, not often but still.... and one item was kina a lot of $$$$

dogmeat

Friend of Leo's
How so? Just wondering.
couple small things I bought like a book that never came, a part I sold that was "never delivered" (except someone signed for it?), the main one I remember was buying an expensive motorcycle part and it was junk, rusty junk with no hope. that was one of the ones that card saved me on. another similar was a piece of test equipment billed as functional. and I don't know if it is any different now but there is nobody you can talk to at PP

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
I've even seen this as a business scam: Hey, I want to hire you to do "this". Comes complete with a detailed proposal. "I'll even pay you in advance because I need the work done quickly.".

Then the scam: "Oh, and could you do me a favor... we'll need this other contractor to do that' as part of the job: I'll send you the money via this obscure payment service I use and you can send his part on to him by Paypal. I'd do it myself but I'm in the hospital for a week and he doesn't have an account with my payment service and I can't use Paypal.".

What surprised me was not the scam, but the amount of time they'd put into creating a fake proposal/details to make it look like a legit business deal. They were also smart enough to make the contract favorable, but not ridiculously overpaid.

fretknot

Tele-Meister
It is for this reason that I discontinued selling on Craigslist, and rarely will I post on FB marketplace, with the exception of lower priced items, like pedals or pickups. I'd rather pay the commission to Reverb or eBay, and ship things than deal with meet-ups, no-shows, and hokey lowball offers at the time of transaction. Meet-ups are time consuming where I live.

Even Reverb is subject to scammers these days. They are easy to spot, usually they try to get an off-site email reply, rather than communicating through the message feature. I ignore them. I used to report them as suspicious, but it takes time to do so. I just disregard anything that seems off.

emptyminded42

TDPRI Member
My wife has successfully sold a bunch of stuff on FB Marketplace (typically baby stuff, furniture, some small appliances) and got about half of buyers paying through Venmo. Never had an issue with fake payments. I also bought like $2k worth of furniture from a guy and paid by Venmo. I guess we've been lucky.

That said, we're always sold in-person and they paid via Venmo before we gave them the stuff. And my wife ignored any messages that seemed fishy.

Papanate

Tele-Meister
Ad Free Member
I've bought and sold on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace - I almost always use Venmo or Zelle and have never had a problem - I think one time I got one those 'out of state' but my friend can pick it up' but I just said no and that was the end of it - Of course Venmo and Zelle are done in person - the guy/gal does the transfer when I'm there - and I check to make sure it transferred.