1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

TDPRI Spam

Discussion in 'Forum Problems & Issues' started by suave eddie, Oct 27, 2020.

1. suave eddie

suave eddie Friend of Leo's

Anyone else get spam email from TDPRI?
    Got an email this morning with a list of suggested threads to read. The email was not even directly from TDPRI but some other outfit on behalf of them. First time I've seen this. I've never signed up for any newsletter or anything else.

2. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I get emails from TDPRI and several other forums periodically. I do believe they come directly from the forums. No big deal. Sometimes I’ll click on the featured threads. No complaints.

getbent and ChickenKiller like this.
  3. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It's a relatively new thing. It's not spam just because you don't expect or want it. You have the option to unsubscribe. And most companies/groups/entities that send the email equivalent of mass mailers don't do it themselves these days, it's done via a third-party service dedicated to and equipped for just such a thing.

ChickenKiller likes this.
  4. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Thing about unwanted email--two clicks and it's gone. I got more to worry about, like just exactly how far apart I should put my feet during weedly-weedly-weedly-rooaawwrrrrr-weedly-roooowwwwrrrr ...

5. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Try going bowling and right before you let 'er roll, the thought hits you, "do i lead with my left foot or my right foot?" Gutter ball!

6. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

sheesh, when Karen meets Karen.

E5RSY and johnny7 like this.
  7. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

Maybe you should check your contact details before making that statement

8. suave eddie

I've been a member for over 10 years and this is the first time I've seen this. It was just a question to see if other members have experienced it and if it is something new and to be expected on a regular basis.

"It's not spam just because you don't expect or want it. You have the option to unsubscribe."

Uh, isn't that the definition of spam? Yes, I can unsubscribe, but I never knowingly subscribed in the first place.

I'm not sure where "entitlement" comes into this discussion? Pitiful? Lighten up Francis.

And no, this did not come directly from TDPRI, but a third party that I can't name now since I permanently deleted the email as spam. So apparently TDPRI has given our email addresses to a third party.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  9. suave eddie

Not sure what you mean by that. Please enlighten me.

10. SixStringSlinger

Fair enough, but your receiving it is not at all inexplicable or shady, either. You're a TDPRI member and you got a TDPRI email. If you were not a member of TDPRI or anything related, then such an email would be spam. The equivalent of junk mail you literally only get because you have an address.

I've never taken a close look at the TDPRI emails, but like I said, third-party companies exist for the purposes of managing an entities mailing list. The content comes from the entity (in this case TDPRI, if they are using such a service), as well as the list of emails to send it to. The third-party company just manages the sending, and unsubscribing, etc. And perhaps the design of the email itself.

It's like when you receive ads for a particular political candidate. The candidate and their campaign office didn't go through the phone book individually addressing each ad. They simply designed it and sent it off for someone else to mail, with perhaps some instruction like "Send it to members of X party" or "Send it to people in this district".

11. suave eddie

So do you regularly receive emails from this site?
    I was only surprised since this is the first time in over 10 years here that I have receive such an email. The only other times I have received email from here is the annual guitar giveaway contests which is to be expected.
    I'm a bit surprised at some of the negative responses to a simple question.
    Can I assume that everyone here but me has received these emails in the past?

12. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I receive them, and often find them informative. I don't post or read anything on the site other than the Bad Dog, so yeah, I like getting them. Once in a while I'll follow a suggested article or post and wonder why I don't look at the other rooms on the site more. I used to, then I just wound up on here most all of the time.

13. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

https://www.tdpri.com/account/contact-details

upload_2020-10-27_13-17-53.png

Probably, Check your spam folder :)

BTW the third party is https://www.threadloom.com/

and if you had read the email before posting you would have noticed this:
    upload_2020-10-27_13-22-40.png

14. suave eddie

None of those messaging preferences relate to third party emails. I have no issue with emails related to those preferences. Those relate only to communications directly from this site.

This was something new to me and I was just wondering if others were receiving them. I'm surprised how this simple question has blown up into what is has become.

"USE AND SHARING OF INFORMATION

We may use Information and share it with third parties in many ways and for many purposes including the following:
    For site operation; To provide users with information and/or offers for products or services from us or third parties; To track online behavior for behavioral advertising and other marketing purposes. Behavioral advertising enables us and our third party marketing partners to deliver to users what is hoped to be more relevant information and/or offers for products or services. We may share this and other Information we collect with our third party marketing partners who compensate us. If we are acquired by or merged with another company, we may transfer our users’ information to the acquirer; To respond to subpoenas, court orders, or legal process, or to establish or exercise our legal rights or defend against legal claims or when we determine it is necessary to comply with applicable laws or regulations; To assist with site operation and other communication services, we may share Information with third parties, including vendors and contractors who provide services to us. We will use commercially reasonable efforts to limit use of the Information by these third parties as necessary for the purposes set forth above."

I didn't realize that the above meant that TDPRI was actually sharing my email address with marketers.

Mods can delete this thread if they want since it seems to have upset many people.

15. suave eddie

16. SixStringSlinger

Again, I've never really paid attention to them, but I think I've been getting them for the last year or so, at most, on a weekly basis. I don't recall seeing one for a few weeks, so in all likelihood I unsubscribed and don't even remember it.

I spend enough time here that I don't miss out by not getting the email.

suave eddie likes this.
  17. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

It's not a third party email It was sent on behalf of the administrators by a third party. It's covered under the first box.

Are you getting marketing emails? Threadloom is a company that is used to create user engagement.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

18. suave eddie

No marketing emails yet. As I said, I've received emails directly from the site regarding the annual contests. These also go to my site inbox. This is the first time I've received an email like this purportedly from the site, but actually via a third party which was why I was surprised. It appears that everyone else is used to this.
    I don't know why TDPRI thinks it needs to create more user engagement from me as I visit the site every day.

19. ChickenKiller

ChickenKiller Tele-Holic

I had a Great Great Great Grandpa named Francis he was a MEAN MAN from what I was told.

I figured you may be some late 20’s Mid 30’s new guy fussing about privacy issues and such entitled to not have anyone crash your space.

But I see you have been a member 10 years, ya just a grumpy older dude who’s not tech savvy or something haha, my bad :rolleyes:.

Seriously check the settings for emails buddy maybe opt out.

Sorry I misjudged Ya

20. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I wonder if he was the true origin of the term 'lighten up Francis'?

suave eddie likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.