TDPRI history

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 57fenderstrat, Oct 13, 2019.

1. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Does it involve any getus changing hands?

Kingpin, O- Fender and jhundt like this.
  2. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

It was stumbling across TDPRI at the local library that got me to reconnect to the internet after about a 10 year hiatus.

Of course, I have spent a bloody fortune on gear since then.:cry:

3. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

some of the great ones of the past! There are, unfortunately, far too many of the great ones who have passed. I'm not a sentimental guy, but a post like this sure does get my memory working.

4. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

ha ha! I have taken over that bit of terminology, and introduced it in any number of far-flung fora.

5. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

What happened to Mark Davis? he was a poster extraordinaire. His love of CV's was legendary.

Chip and Alamo like this.
  6. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Noam is doing great. Kind of a circuitous route from Tele through banjo (even the reso tub) but the old reason for playing electric guitar - to get chicks - bore fruit.

Great singer, killer choice in old flat tops , and beautiful .

Noam is doing great.

EsquireBoy, Alamo and nojazzhere like this.
  7. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

I remember Fezz and a few others from the old days.

daddyplaysbass likes this.
  8. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Holic

I joined TDPRI and TGP in 2006 after I bought a Fender Muddy Waters, my first tele.
    Prior to this I had been active at the Martin forum (UMGF) for a number of years.
    I've mostly been content reading other's posts. I've totaled roughly 800 posts at TDPRI and TGP combined since joining.
    Early on I was very interested in guitar builds. I've build some very nice partscasters, some of which I would love to own again.
    I also have built a number of amps, both kits from Allen and scratch built.
    These days I no longer own a tele and no longer build amps. Actually, I was was going to build either a 6g2 or a 5f11 when I ran across a good deal on a Mojotone 5f11 built by Mojotone.
    I've been extremely pleased with the 5f11.
    I've gone back to my first love from 50 years ago. I now am really enjoying my 2004 LPDC faded. It reminds me soooooo much of an old LP, Jr my best friend owned back in the 60s.
    I guess these days I am among the grumpy old men brigade.
    I still enjoying playing after all these years.

Mark

iajeopsu4hhmaesi220l.jpg

p5_uvzy5hbbm_so.jpg

BB, Mike Eskimo and El Tele Lobo like this.
  9. daddyplaysbass

daddyplaysbass Tele-Holic

I remember Ol' Fuzzy, reminded my of Waylon Jennings

10. skunqesh

skunqesh Tele-Holic

I think it was pics of Fuzzy's Tele Shack that first lured me to this site - fwiw

I first came across TDPRI around 2007, looking for info/specs on old teles because I wanted to fix a few.
    I believe it was pics of Fuzzy's Tele Shack that first popped up on the search radar - and the sight of it kinda melted a few transistors in my brain pan - in a good way.

11. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yep. That’s a good summary.

In the mid to late 90s (1990s to be clear) Noam launched and managed the TDP - the Telecaster Discussion Page and it was a little more ‘inclusive’ than the Webers Telecaster page which 0l’ Fuzzy ran dedicated ONLY to vintage Telecasters. The TDP was a source of info about Teles in general; Webers, vintage only - or face the wrath of Fuzzy himself.

I was a born again guitarist and Tele player and would marvel at the knowledge of both boards and forged some great (real) friendships.

I don’t recall the exact details, but I seem to recall Noam heading to college and announcing the demise of the TDP with the board (the software back then was crude bulletin board applications) being revived (reissued) by Paul Green who took over the membership and day-to-day running of the TDP-RI.

I joined the community around this time and I’m guessing 1999 or 2000.

Paul ran the board/page with a set of strict rules: no sex or politics and that’s what made a TDPRI the global success.

Paul took it through a number of format changes with the current software/format introduced in 2003, the reason why the ‘oldest’ members originate from 2003 and not earlier.

A few notable greats have come and gone. Fuzzy, who made a grand exit when the ‘Other guitars’ forum was added and Paul started the Les Paul Forum, Mark Davis, an extraordinary poster, make more remarkable as he was visually impaired and many others.

A few scandals along the way: a poster called ‘Chet’ who made 10,000 posts, none about Telecasters and many stretching the patience of Paul Green leading to him being banned for life and one marriage: Mandy Marie Luke to the late, great John Stannard, one of greatest Tele players I’ve had the pleasure to play alongside.

The UK has held a regular/annual jam and the TDPRI stretches around the world with a pool of knowledge regarded as the best on the planet.

Long may it continue.

:) Peter

12. graybeard65

graybeard65 Tele-Meister

I remember Fuzzy and Fezz and a few others - I was a member from sometime in ‘05 or early ‘06 and active for a couple of years, and went away for a long while while dealing with a divorce/career change etc -

I read and learn, and like keeping things positive - so I don’t always have much to say - but I log on and read nearly every day

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  13. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I joined here in 2005 after someone told me they'd done a Google search of my name and saw that I was being discussed here.
    I felt very special.

graybeard65, 2 Headed Goat and Chip like this.
  14. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Some of us here met in the Flatpick-L listserv and migrated here to talk about plug-in guitars

I met Noam in 95 or 96 when we played a few bluegrass shows in the same “family band”.

When he heard that I also play Telecaster, he invited me to sign up

15. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I've apparently been here since November 2003, which would be just after I bought my white MIM Telecaster, used, off of eBay for $300 from a private party in NYC.

It's the only Telecaster I've ever owned, and still have it. I've owned it longer than any other guitar I've had.

It just so happens that it's on the couch right next to me as I type this...
    IMG_20191013_162322040.jpg

16. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Thanks for filling in some of the details PeterUK!! Yeah my profile only lists 2003 so I can't accurately pinpoint the true origin date; mid-late 90s sounds right...

PeterUK likes this.
  17. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    There was once a TDPRI Page that had the history. It seems be gone

Maybe if somebody is good with the internet way back machine it can be found

PeterUK likes this.
  18. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Me great great great greatgrandpappy was told about TDP by a Redcoat guarding the docks in Charlestown, SC when he arrived over here.

His 13 year old wife said she would never give up her fiddle.

Scottish bloke said he had heard of a thing from Africa called a Ban-Joe and he was looking for one of them to go with his pipes.

And so the story goes.

stuffinplays likes this.
  19. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

I joined in either 2006 or 2007 and remember all of the names of the GREAT contributors. I probably lurked here for a year or so before joining.
    A great place, great people, great advise, and outlooks
    It reminds me of the credo of a marine store here - “Love, beer, boat stuff, and questionable advise from drunken sailors”

20. Don Mare

Don Mare Tele-Afflicted

just read Ole Fuzzy "Owen" turned 90 this year in Apr,

PeterUK likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.