TDPRI history

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 57fenderstrat, Oct 13, 2019.

1. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Meister

howdy folks ,

I was just wondering when TDP started ? How fast it grew ? Why was it reissued ? How long some of you guys have been here ? Things like that.

I can’t remember when I started to become aware of the site but I feel like I have lurked for info for at least ten years, which I know isn’t that long at all.

BeatlesAreMyJam likes this.
  2. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I joined in 2006, and by then the page was already "reissued" and lots of members had been around for many years.

The TDPRI (taken for its entire history) is probably the oldest corner of the internet that I use regularly. I'm glad it's around.

3. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

I remember posting to the TDPRI while the family was headed west on the Wagon Train ...

4. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

There’s a great history behind this place. There used to be a link in the resources here but it appears broken now.

I’ll let one of the more senior members tell the story; I’m still new here lol.

Teaser is that it involved a high school kid who started TDP. He’s gone on to be a successful musician.

5. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I did to.

I was on Harmony Central starting way back in the mid-90's. When it went downhill, people split off and went different ways. TDPRI was one destination. Over the years, this forum ended up being one of the least pretentious, best moderated and most active guitar forums.

6. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Holic

I seem to recall the original telecaster discussion page no longer being able to be run by its original founder and the reissue taking what existed before and continuing it.

It's been a long time and I can't remember all the details. I do know I was a member at TDP before it was TDPRI

P Thought likes this.
  7. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Well, I go back to the 'pre-reissue' era... Here's my Reader's Digest historical account.

A young lad called Noam Pikelny started it up in the late 90s, and later succumbed to the ever increasing demands of the growing website and his growing (non-Tele) career (check this out: ) , and one day it was no more... Given the devastation this caused to many (including me!), another devotee -- Paul Green -- stepped up and created the reissue version. Paul recently rode into the sunset; fortunately he passed the torch to what I understand is a consortium of musical and commercial interests, and it continues today.

Others may have a more detailed/accurate version of reality on this history.

Now a quiz for the membership: who remembers Ol' Fuzzy and his 'cornfuser'?? That will date the elders of this tribe!

8. 41144

41144 Tele-Holic

In a far off galaxy a long time ago ....

zammie, BeatlesAreMyJam and Zepfan like this.
  9. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

I can't remember when I joined up. I know that I went to a TDPRI Jam Session in Alameda CA back in 1998 or so, before I moved to Holland. It was a small community then, and very agreeable. We were all friends, and we all got along well.

zammie likes this.
  10. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

I havent been around here since the beginning or even close to it but I have read and remember some of what was in that resources link.

A guy (and maybe a son or friend) created the telecaster discussion page. It did well and gained a large user base for a forum. But some people wanted it to be a place purely for discussing telecasters and didnt want to see or discuss your gibson or jazzmaster and wanted to keep it a telecaster forum. But others didnt see an issue and apparently people argued about it and the owner of the site got fed up of putting out fires and maintaining the site and shut it down.

The site was missed by its devoted users and someone else picked up the site labeled it the reissue due to the popularity in the reissue tele models at the time.

Now its owned by some company that owns lots of other forums just after the ad revenue and probably doesnt care about the history. Probably why the the page on the site history has been lost.

Bodean likes this.
  11. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire

I started with The Reissue Gang when I bought my first Tele a MIJ Telecaster Deluxe. I didn't know what it was. It's really a Strat in a Tele body so I had to buy another one and so on...and here I am. I don't even know how many Teles I have. This place started it.....lol. 2006

12. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yep, another member here from the previous millennium. Ole Fuzzy helped me verify my ‘52 Tele.

13. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

Fuzzy was a great contributor. At some point after I moved to Holland he bailed out; I never knew why. His knowledge was intense. His collection of Telecasters was extensive to the point of insanity! His language was amusing. His devotion to some kind of pop-'painter-of-light' was bizarre. But he was such a fundamental founder of the TDPRI... I wish he was still here.

14. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

first the earth cooled...then the dinosaurs came...etc

Fiesta Red, GuitarKid and Dacious like this.
  15. O- Fender

O- Fender Tele-Afflicted

Someone mentioned Ol' Fuzzy and his cornfuser?

I do remember pics of the Tele Shack.

I vaguely remember "The Z Chord" that required five fingers and a thumb to play. Don't remember any more about it.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  16. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

That video is A+++ funny.

Have any of you heard the story about how Chris Mars views his time in The Replacements? He apparently considers it a thing he did as a kid - like having a paper route or something. I’d imagine Noam might feel the same way about this place.

17. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

I joined in late ‘08. Wife #1 had passed and couldn’t say no to my hobbies. I’d just bought a Squire Std and an FM25R. Still have them and a few more. This place is the cause of GAS.
    I seem to remember posts from Ol Fuzzy, and Keef Zen. About this time was when the Classic Vibes came out and I just had to have a CVC. The beginnings of GAS.

BeatlesAreMyJam likes this.
  18. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Holic

I now recall Ole Fuzzy and Noam. Hope they're well.

O- Fender likes this.
  19. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I was invited to come here and check out the page by Buckocaster. I don't remember the context of that, but it was sometime back in the late 90s I think.

I didn't start hanging out here regular though until I was kicked off the FDP by the prom queen who runs that page.
    He said it was "for awhile", but he's never invited me back. That was many years back now

thunderbyrd likes this.
  20. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Stopped at Scottsbluff and carved your post on the sandstone bluffs did you?:rolleyes::)

Hard not to miss Mark Davis, Ol' Fuzzy and Fezz.

rand z, BB, TeleTex82 and 3 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.