TDPRI = GAS

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by superbadj, Aug 27, 2019.

Tags:
  1. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have seen a few pieces of gear on line here that would be interesting to own , but I have every item known to musician that I could use , but I do find I need parts and pieces to indilge my very twisted imagination to create , build , recycle , unrelated objects into refunctional devices , this site helps with that, sometimes.

but the few times I have been sent to my corner for missbehaving and giving my opinions on the spelling/grammar police , I found it interesting to view this site from a distance it gives a different prospective, but an appreciation and respect to those with much more knowledge than me, in any given field.

2. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

My membership of the forum coincides with retirement from work and a significant increase in gigging activity. In the last few years of employment, I was buying stuff I thought I'd need in future- either because they aren't always available, or because I wasn't sure I'd want to spend the money, from a fixed income. TDPRI didn't really fuel my GAS- but it helped me focus on good value stuff that is durable enough for my purposes.

I'm not really interested in artfully reliced Nitro or tiger striping and I don't own many pedals- but I'm a sucker for a good pickup and a chunky guitar neck. Once the wisdom of the forum has pointed you in the right direction, you still need to make the final selection, with your own hands, eyes and ears.

If there's one thing I wouldn't have known about, before I started reading the forum, it's my regular portable gig amp, an old Peavey Classic 30. SF Fenders are hard to find here and my Marshalls have never been reliable. The Peavey has been to a great many shows and paid for itself, a dozen times over.
    As for Teles…..I didn't want to take my '76 to some of the places I play at and the Tele market is confusing. When I heeded the words of the brethren and bought a used Baja, that turned out to be a good recommendation and a smart purchase.

Someone posted news of the famous Thomann £250 Cabronita blowout- and I bought one. That was the nearest I have got to GAS for superfluous products: but at that price? Any more of a 'no-brainer' and it would have been a lobotomy.

Obsessed and beagle like this.
  3. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Meister

Just mulling over this same thought today. I'm fifty, and my midlife crisis has consisted of immersing myself back in the world of guitars. Last year I owned two electrics and one acoustic. The same three guitars I owned when I was twenty-one. A year later I own ten.

Chalk it up to sites like this, which allow me to pick the brains of hundreds of musicians, along with the internet making it possible to find anything you want instantly.

After my dog died a few weeks ago I staved off despair by hanging out in local guitar shops, with the result that I bought two used guitars and an amp. It made me realize I have to stop. I have every guitar a boy could want. Well, almost. But no reasonable need for more.

At some point I had to stop haunting bookstores and record shops, cuz I inevitably found something inside that I "needed." The piles of unread books and unlistened to music grew and grew, until I had to face facts. I'm there with music gear, now.

The internet is great for a lot of things. This site and the community I've found here is one of those things, but it comes at a price. This world is a desire machine! Time for me to step back, get smart, and appreciate what I got. No more!

4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I blame comfy couches, junk food, cable TV Amazon and Alexa for the mass consumerism that seems to have replaced doing stuff.

Before the TDPRI and even before the internet my home always looked like a music store/ rehearsal space/ museum.

Can't blame the TDPRI for that, and I suspect you posted less because your GAS subsided, as opposed to your GAS subsif=ding due to less TDPRI.
    My GAS subsides when I'm busy doing life stuff or playing music, or of course out of cash...

Telecaster88 likes this.
  5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I have had severe GAS since I was 14.
    Apparently, it’s not fatal.
    The good ol’ TDPRI has hipped me to a lot of cool stuff, but it neither exacerbates nor diminishes my condition.

telemnemonics likes this.
  6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If anything, stuff I learned on the TDPRI helped me target the right gear, as opposed to buying what was in local guitar shops and seemed pretty good.

Here I found the 18w Marshall and bought my first on in the classifieds.
    IME buying the right gear reduces buying the right-now gear!

7. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve been here since 2009 and I can’t think of a single thing I bought because of this site. Seriously. Reverb however is a different story!

8. psykobilly

psykobilly Tele-Meister

I'll have to say, bein here keeps me wanting, but the pocket book keeps me from gettin!!!!

9. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Holic

i've got all i need.maybe another guitar some time but,gas is not much of an issue any more.

10. superbadj

superbadj Poster Extraordinaire

It's kinda like a support group!

Seriously, good to hear others feeling the same way.

I still poke around here sometimes and again, have gleaned loads of good info. But I definitely have cut the GAS off with less frequent visits. I don't even know what all the new Fender models are these days, and a few years ago I could have told you virtually all of the key specs of any of them (even though I pretty much only buy used guitars). Ignorance is bliss I guess.

11. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

I got the GAS bug when I joined in 2014. I went from 1 Strat and 1 acoustic, to a dozen or so electrics and 3 acoustics, plus 4 or 5 amps. But I'm in remission now. I haven't bought a new guitar in about 2 years. Well, except for a sweet pawn shop Strat this year; (if it's under $100, it doesn't really count.)

I think I've reached saturation, I don't feel any desire to get anymore. I expect I'll have to sell a couple before I feel like getting another new one. Even NGD threads on TDPRI don't jazz the GAS for me anymore. It's a nice feeling.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  12. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

Ah,go ahead TD, you need that amp... I need you to need that amp so that I can hear about it and get GAS for one, which I already have (GAS, that is). But, if you get one, maybe I won't have to... maybe not

Toto'sDad likes this.
  13. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I've been off and on guitar forums for over 25 years now. GAS comes and goes. I've tried to keep stuff "affordable" (aka cheap) as much as possible and try to buy stuff I can actually use regularly. I usually am able to stick with the affordable part but I have bought a lot of pedals, pickups and parts that I don't have an excuse to buy.

I wish I could pull off being a YouTube shill and have free stuff sent to me but I don't have the charismatic video presence personality to do that.

14. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

Oh, and if you (TD) get it from Sweetwater, you will probably get some candy as well...

NewKid and Toto'sDad like this.
  15. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

All things come to he who waits!

16. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

If I buy a hand wired tube amp form Sweetwater, I'd expect them to send me a forty foot end dump full of candy!

teletimetx and DrPepper like this.
  17. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Absolutely TDPRI is a contributor to GAS.
    This site is one of Fender's biggest non-held "assets" but it benefits other makers as well.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  18. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

Even better... Wait, I don't eat candy anymore, darn it...

Toto'sDad likes this.
  19. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I can visit tdpri and I can choose not to visit tdpri.

It doesn't matter.

I'm a guitar addict to the BONE, and I cannot be trusted to walk into a guitar store, a pawn shop, or a flea market unsupervised.
    Because I will walk out with a guitar.

It's that bad.
    :(

20. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

TDPRI.... stop buying guitars and build them myself....:)...

no GAS here for the bright and shiny things other people have..:)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.