TDPRI = GAS

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by superbadj, Aug 27, 2019.

Tags:
  1. superbadj

superbadj Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah I know I'm not the first to discover this, but man what a difference it makes to take a break from the ole TDPRI.

Since 1/1/2018, I've posted a total of 15 posts. I have like 5,200+ overall so obviously that's way less than normal.

But since effectively leaving, I haven't wanted to buy guitars left and right. It's actually kinda amazing how the GAS subsided relatively quickly when I stopped looking at all the cool stuff others are buying/selling/showing off.

Not ragging on the forum at all--this is a great forum, and has been super helpful to me in many, many ways, including refinishing advice, electronics, gear, recording, etc. It's great! But it definitely fed my gear desires.

Like any aspect of life, keeping up with the Joneses is a curse, and I guess I needed to leave the TDPRI or stop visiting soo much to avoid temptation.

Have you guys found the same? Yeah I'm posting to people ON the forum so probably not the best group for this particular topic (lol) but that's OK.

Attached Files:

2. Bluetelecaster

Bluetelecaster Tele-Holic

Your spot on. I've been a member on Banjo hangout for years and it the same way. I had the same banjo for 20 years then after joining BHO I went through about 15 in no time. Having said that, I better go pick up my new Strat! :twisted:

3. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I can understand how this is true, but I am perfectly able to work up a GAS crises without tdpri. my problem is not tdpri, but a friend I have who buys and sells/trades gear constantly. he has had 2 or 3 59 reissue LPs, 3 56 reissues, 3 david grissom PRS, and any number of high end, custom shop strats. and also, many fine boutique amps. I would have never have even put my hands on this stuff if not for him. those 59 Lp's really broke my heart.

4. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Very true, and the herd mentality that I myself fall victim to has led me to buy many of the sacred cows of this forum and found out that they were not for me…

5. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

I don t think TDPRI made me buy a guitar, but it made me buy a few books. Probably because i m broke.;)

Greggorios, verb boten and nojazzhere like this.
  6. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

TheGearPage is 10x worse!

Greggorios, Scott57, NewKid and 4 others like this.
  7. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I have been to the sacred cow market, it has been a long time since I had a fix, but if I bought ONE, the flood gates would open. I started looking at the new Fender 64 Deluxe Reverb, then looking at video reviews, I thought I can pedal my DRRI, then put that money toward the 64, I've got enough money in my secret former sacred cow fund from selling off sacred cows. THEN I realized I'm 76 years old, and I'd be lucky to live long enough for the damned thing to get here.

Never mind.

8. Toto'sDad

I'm talking about the new 64 hand wired Deluxe Reverb, only 2500 bucks delivered right to your door. Probably have to set out there on the porch with a 12 gauge to take delivery. I just know it would make me sound... Never mind again.

9. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

At first, reading TDPRI exacerbated my GAS and I probably did buy some things just so I could shout NGD! Then something flipped in the other direction and I've really whittled down the collection. Two electrics in active rotation and two others sitting there, not knowing what will happen. But I'm finding more in the familiarity instead of discovering things which may or may not be there in a new guitar, if that makes any sense (it doesn't).

I fought the urge to upgrade my modeler recently. That felt good.

I am thinking of changing around my recording setup again though!

Greggorios likes this.
  10. Toto'sDad

If I did buy the 64, then I'd have to do something about the crappy wide range pickup in my AV 72 Tele Custom. I'd buy a genuine original one of the CUNIFE pickups, it would be one more SACRED COW REVELATION. Then I'd put the whole damned thing on craigslist because I still sounded like crap. Never mind, never mind, never mind.

[​IMG]

11. Volktar

Volktar TDPRI Member

OK, help me out here. I quite understand GAS, but have no actual clue what the acryonm is.
    Can someone educate a brother?

Greggorios likes this.
  12. Ducerro

Ducerro Tele-Meister

Guitar Acquisition Syndrome

Greggorios and nojazzhere like this.
  13. Volktar

Volktar TDPRI Member

Ah, see now that makes sense. Think I can have that added to a military disability rating? :D

14. Ducerro

Ducerro Tele-Meister

I agree with the OP 100%. If it wasn't for the forums I'm on I'd have far less of whatever the forum I'm on is all about - be it motorcycles, guns, guitars, or whatever! I've stopped riding motorcycles, so I haven't been hanging out on those forums for awhile and strangely enough the number of bikes I own has slowly dwindled down. I never found a gun forum I liked, so any GAS I get for guns is just a phase I'm going through. But guitars - oh my! Like most I get a kick out of NGD posts (look at me look at me), but I've had a new American Special in the house for a week now and I still haven't posted as such. However I did have a post going on the color of said guitar for a week before I ordered it - so that probably satisfied the itch to post. And now I've mentioned it here, so yea - I'm cheating! :oops:

Greggorios and Toto'sDad like this.
  15. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

When I joined four years ago, I had three guitars. Now I have twelve.

And after reading the recent Firefly '338' thread, I saved $139 not buying one—only because I didn't have the money! :lol::cry:

It's on my list...something to look forward to. :)

Greggorios and Toto'sDad like this.
  16. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I had 4 guitars and one amp when I joined, now I have 10 and 4. Must be coincidence, because I still need a Gretsch and a Tweed Super, and a third tele....in....orange!

Greggorios, NewKid and Telecaster88 like this.
  17. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

Makes perfect sense. If we don't know it exists we won't covet it. Of course some aren't as afflicted as others. I've played the same guitar since 1986 and shot the same Glock since 2003.:)

18. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Oh yeah, Magazines this place, TGP is the absolute worst, then chasing down YouTube videos of the jewel of your eye, takes it to a new level!!

Greggorios likes this.
  19. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I'm kinda the opposite of many of the replies here.....I think I exorcise my GAS by living vicariously through you guys. I've been exposed to guitars and amps here that I might never have known about, but after I check them out, and have a bit of a think, I realize I JUST DON'T NEED any of them. Now, I hope I never sound like I'm ridiculing or mocking those who do succumb to their GAS, but I merely speak for myself.
    While I began divesting myself of gear BEFORE I ever came here, I can honestly say being on TDPRI has done me no harm.
    As Shakespeare might have said.....c'est la vie! ;)

Greggorios and Shuster like this.
  20. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I'm immune, I've never suffered from GAS. I've only bought one new guitar in all my time here and that was 7 months ago.

But it is a Tele.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.