1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

TDPRI family... Please tell me if I'm being a jerk with Sweetwater.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by gitold, Jul 22, 2013.

1. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I can certainly see your point, but for $15.00 it's probably not worth too much stress. I would, however, find out who the sales manager is and write a polite, friendly email to him explaining what happened, and that you're disappointed. Chances are that thus far you have been dealing with front-line employees who have limits to what they can do, and if you get the attention of a manager he might be willing to do more to make the situation more palatable.

I had a similar problem recently with MF, and after a couple of emails the problem was settled in my favor. That makes a big difference when it comes time for me to decide who to buy from.

2. ch3360

ch3360 TDPRI Member

Do you have an assigned sales rep at Sweetwater? I've purchased 4 guitars from them and never had a problem. Additionally I ordered a gig bag that I decided to return, they credited me the full purchase price.

If you have a rep I would call and discuss it with them. I would say its their mistake and $15 in your pocket is better than $15 in theirs. Comes down to customer service but also customer loyalty.... Or future loyalty.

CJ

3. TelecasterSam

TelecasterSam Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, I'd just eat the $15 and be happy with the $50 price break.

A little off the subject, but I visited their store in Fort Wayne. I was disappointed that they didn't deal at all in used guitars. I was looking for a used American Standard Tele or Strat, but no luck there.

4. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

Yes I do and she was very helpful. I'm leaving some management stuff out of this to keep it brief and not be pessimistic but the higher ups were complete tool bags. My rep really tried. The money issue is insignificant. The fact of the matter is they implied that since there customer service was so wonderful that you should pay a little more....

5. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

Don't know what the consumer laws are in USA but here in Aus if the product is not fit for the purpose, fits a particular guitar, or does not do what it advertised as doing, again fits a particular guitar, it HAS to be replaced at vendors cost, that includes postage. What are the USA laws in regards to that?

6. deputydog

deputydog Tele-Holic

+1:p

7. Robus

Robus TDPRI Member

Surprised and disappointed that SW would sell you the wrong case then charge you for shipping. They've seemed very nice to deal with.

8. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

They should've eaten the price completely on the case since it doesn't fit. But don't know if it would prevent me from ever purchasing from the again. Maybe I'd bring it up on next order, see if they'd knock of $50 or whatever. Congrats on the guitar, sounds sweet.

9. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Now, why is it, again, that I won't buy instruments off the internet??? Oh, right...

10. Westerly Sunn

Westerly Sunn Poster Extraordinaire

+1000

11. Tommy B

Tommy B Tele-Meister

Once upon a time there lived people that drove and sometimes walked to this now mythical place called a local guitar shop and even spoke to real people and touched and played a guitar before they bought it. Sometimes if these people called guitar players were polite to the folks called shop keepers they would get a great deal on the guitar and not have to pay the full a**hole price that was on the tag.

Many times these people got to know each other and became friends. The guitar player would come by the guitar shop and spend many hours admiring the shop keeper's wares and keep him company and sometimes would even buy a guitar. In exchange for the kindness and business the shop keeper would fix problems, exchange defective items no questions asked, match prices if he could afford to, and keep the guitar players happy.

Once upon a time.

What ever happened to those places? I miss them.

12. neocaster

neocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I don't think you're being a jerk. Remind them that the deal MF offered you still puts you on top, even after paying for return shipping of both items. You went with them because you wanted to give them your business, even though they weren't the cheapest. This is the kind of attitude, and the kind of customer, they need to protect.

13. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Question: Sweetwater and Guitar Centre (Musicians Friend, Music123 etc...) are the two big boys in US music retailing. Why does Sweetwater have a better reputation (at least around here)? What's being done right, versus done wrong?

14. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

See 7-8 seconds in:

I would call or email and let them know deal breaker, last time they will see your money!

15. EricS76

EricS76 Tele-Meister

Every time I've purchased an item from Sweetwater that was over a couple hundred $$, they call a few days after I've received it to make sure I'm satisfied with the purchase. That would be the perfect time to bring this up to them. I don't know what they'll do for you since you didn't ask an actual Sweetwater salesman if the case would fit. I always double check things like that when buying on the net.

I've bought quite a few things from Sweetwater and have been satisfied and even a little surprised with their amount of customer service. I bought a Fender Super Champ X2 amp that was DOA. I called my rep, he transferred me to a tech, and after a few questions to make sure it really was dead, they sent a new one out with a return label for the dead one within 30 minutes. Great service. I try to buy from them over Musicians friend when I can.

Sent from my iPad using TDPRI

16. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

When you buy something, QUIT SHOPPING FOR THAT ITEM. Then you won't be in this situation.

17. stratofortress

stratofortress Tele-Afflicted

that's like trying to stop after eating just one potato chip..impossible:p

18. superbadj

superbadj Poster Extraordinaire

I see that "recommended accessories" lists a Gretsch case for a 5122. That's a somewhat thinline hollowbody, so it's not gonna fit the Gretsch you bought for sure.

They should have noticed that. And they should have paid for return shipping--agreed.

But a little research probably could have saved you that headache.

19. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

A little annoying when you have to do the job of the vendor though. Such is the nature of the internet ordering beast I am afraid.

20. superbadj

superbadj Poster Extraordinaire

Totally agree--they shouldn't really list an "accessory" that doesn't fit. But honestly...I guess I don't expect too much from a website like that. I don't expect to have it properly curated. So I always do my own research to ensure that stuff fits.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.