1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

TDPRI family... Please tell me if I'm being a jerk with Sweetwater.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by gitold, Jul 22, 2013.

1. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/G100CEBK/ Here's the story. A month ago I got the bug for a Archtop guitar. I've been eyeing Godins for a while and then I saw the Gretsch G100E while browsing through a ad that Sweetwater had emailed me. It looked great and had good reviews so I pulled the trigger. I'm usually a MF guy but I thought I'd give Sweetwater a try. The next day I called MF and they told me they would give me the same guitar for $112 less. I called Sweetwater and asked if they would match that price and was informed that they don't match prices. They then offered me $50 off and since I had already ordered the guitar I figured that was fair and took the deal. I also ordered the case for the guitar that was in Recommended Accessories on the same page. Might as well get the official case.
    The guitar and case came in 5 days, well packed. The guitar was a real keeper but the guitar wouldn't fit in the case. Not even. I called them and they immediately sent me a FedEx sticker and back the case went. All's well that ends well.
    I get a email 4 days later telling me they got the case back and I would be credited $84. The case cost $99. I called and they said that their policy was since they had free shipping if you send something back they charge you for it. The fact that they made the mistake didn't matter. I asked if they had sent me the wrong guitar would the policy be the same and they hemmed and hawed. Rather than get upset I wished them a good day and jumped right on the TDPRI. I don't think I'll order from them again. Am I right here?
    Check the ad out by the way. The wrong case is still there.

2. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

It's their mistake they should eat it. IF you exchanged the case for the right one instead of returning it, they probably would have paid the shipping. Also, IMHO you should do all your negotiating before purchasing, not order something and then try to shake them down by trying for a price match after the fact.

3. Teletubbi

Teletubbi Tele-Holic

You should have escalated the call to as many levels as it takes to make it right
    In fact you should get back on the phone -only- in a dispassionate frame of mind and at every refusal ask to speak to their supervisor, the phrase is " we need to escalate this call, may I speak to your supervisor please? When the super comes on say " joe blow was polite and tried to help but seems to lack the authority needed to resolve my problem. Then if necessary escalate to the supers super etc on up the line. Dont accept any end of line of command until you reach a fair agreement.
    Always keep the conversation unemotional and factual and use the same level of professional conduct as you expect from them. Good luck you can do it.

4. gitold

Actually I didn't try to shake them down, just asked and then agreed with their offer which I said I thought was fair. They don't have a hard shell case for that guitar. Gretsch doesn't make one.

5. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

Congrats on your new guitar! I'm looking forward to reading more about it.

Before ordering any HSC in the future, make sure from your own research if a case will be the right size. Don't rely on one source for that kind of information if possible (confirming from multiple sources is best-after all-it's the Internet).

Relying on a guitar rep. on the phone at Sweetwater (MF or other) to get everything 100% right (on any and all orders) is an unrealistic expectation on your part. Caveat emptor!

If you order on the web by pressing buttons, and not involving humans, there's always a risk with that method, too. Plus, having to return any wrong size gear is no fun, and takes away from guitar practice. :D

6. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If it's their mistake they should eat it. +1

I had an ebayer send me the wrong item with free shipping. I said I would return it but I'd want a refund for the shipping back, because I selected him as a seller in order to get the right item and free shipping. He said having to pay return shipping wouldnt be fair to him, I didn't understand that

7. 6Shotsdown

6Shotsdown Tele-Meister

Unfortunately the shipping things seems to be the norm with this online shopping.

Retroactive price matching is also pretty standard.

8. OtherTom

OtherTom Tele-Afflicted

99-84.....So you are out $15 ?

9. Bones

But somehow it's fair for you to pay for shipping of an item you didn't want? Sometimes in business you have to eat your mistakes and take the loss, that's how you make sure not to make that same mistake.

10. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Call them back.

They can do something about it.

We can't.

:)

11. wildkat-bob

wildkat-bob Tele-Afflicted

You were eyeing a Godin and you bought a gretsch...now thats where your problem realy started.when you got gas for a Godin you dont try to ease it with a gretsch.:lol:

12. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have no association with MF, except that they have been great with my purchases, and although I've never had a return situation with them, would expect they'd be more cooperative in dealing with THEIR mistake than Sweetwater was with you. Next time, MF.

13. gitold

I've already emailed and talked to them. It's such a small amount of money that I'm just going to eat it. But since I belong to a guitar forum I thought I'd get my TDPRI friends opinion. That's what TDRPI friends are for I think???

14. gitold

I really like the Gretsch more then the Godin but the Godin is a fine guitar. Maybe one of each?

15. gitold

16. stratofortress

stratofortress Tele-Afflicted

Its certainly is not trying to shake them down by asking them if they price match.IMHO you were more than gracious by accepting the 50.00 and being happy with that.Them selling a case that doesn't even fit the guitar is entirely on them and they should have been happy to eat the shipping.
    That is one mean looking guitar too

17. Bones

My point is, once you place the order, you have entered into a contract with them for the agreed upon price. To continue shopping for lower prices after that and then come back to them and ask them to lower the price is odd to me. I do realize that a lot of these places offer 30 day price protection and stuff, so that's their business to do as they please. I just prefer to do my research before "pulling the trigger" that's all I'm saying.

They definitely should have test fit the guitar into the case or better yet, shipped the guitar in the case. then they would know it fit. Even though it's just $15, $15 is a lot less to Sweetwater than it is to someone who got the wrong item through no fault of their own. And frankly, after reading the glowing reviews here about SW all the time I'm surprised. It seems like all these guys are slipping off their game a bit lately.

18. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Contacting them is what you should and have done.

You should not "eat it." They sent you a case that does not fit the guitar.

That is the latest advice from a TDPRI friend.

:)

19. gitold

I bought 3 mike stands from Mf a few years ago. ( I've spent $1000's of dollars with them over the years). I was going to Detroit for a one week Jam with 3 of my brothers and I wanted to have great equipment. I got the stands 3 days before I was leaving. One of them was broken in shipping. MF told me to throw the stand away and they would send me a new one. I asked how much would it cost for overnight shiping as I was willing to pay for it and told him my story. He sent it to me the next day for free. That's customer service.

20. gitold

Thanks Buck!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.