TDPRI 2010 $210 Tele build challenge - Sheoakaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Wells

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I like your daughter's expression ............. as if she's saying " My dad can built a better guitar than your dad. "

47665d1272198852-tdpri-2010-%24210-tele-build-challenge-sheoakaster-img_3491_2-jpg

guityak

Tele-Meister
Try this for sound.

Not very happy with either my playing in this or the overall sound. I will try again soon. But I now know how to do it.

guityak

Tele-Meister
Here is another sound clip.

My apologies if my playing is plain and you were expecting more.
I should mention though that the first piece on the first clip is not me. I had a friend over who I recorded while he was fiddling about with the guitar.

Last edited:

guityak

Tele-Meister
For those who were wondering how I recorded the sound clips the process is as follows:

1- Plug new guitar into Fender blues junior amp.
2- Mic amp using Shure SM58
3- Plug mic into MBox 2
4- Start Pro tools on my MAC.(Over many years of using a PC I developed a distinct dislike for it, especially after buying a MAC for my wife. So I went and got me one aswell. ;))
5- Record various sound clips in Pro Tools and choose those that make me cringe the least. I basically chose some clean tones then cranked the volume on my BJ up to 11 and turned the master back down to overdrive the valves without blowing out my eardrums.
6- Bounce clip to the desktop as a WAV file.
7- Start iMovie.
8- Drag sound file into iMovie.
9- Drag various pics into iMovie to give listeners something to look at while listening.
10- Export straight to youtube.
11- Embed video into post on TDPRI.

As simple as that.

guityak

Tele-Meister
What does it weigh?

I just realised I forgot to tell people what the final weight is.

3.8kg which is equivalent to 8.4lbs.

I think that is quite reasonable.

iansmitchell

Tele-Afflicted
Sheoak is Allocasuarina. The "casuarina" part is the giveaway.

It's actually a "softwood" being a conifer - probably the hardest softwood out there!

Floridians know all about Casuarinas, I think they call them Australian Pines (they do in Stephen King books that I read :D).

Looking spectacular BTW :cool:.

Actually, it's not a conifer, it's pretty far removed.
Kingdom: Plantae
Division: Magnoliophyta
Class: Magnoliopsida
Order: Fagales
Family: Casuarinaceae
Genus: Allocasuarina
Versus
Kingdom: Plantae
Division: Pinophyta
Class: Pinopsida
Order: Pinales
Family: Pinaceae
Genus: Pinus
If I'm not mistaken, and I've seen some "australian pines" around here myself, and the biggest giveaway(other than the fact the needles don't smell pine-y) is that they flower(little inconspicuous yellow flowers) as opposed to pines, which don't.

And yeah, they're a mixed blessing. On the good side, they can stabilize areas quickly and prevent erosion. On the bad side, unlike native saw pines or easter redcedars, they don't support much undergrowth or native species, might even be allelopathic.

But the wood is incredible looking.
As far as actual softwoods, I believe yew is the hardest.

Nick JD

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Actually, it's not a conifer, it's pretty far removed.

Right you are. I pick up the "cones" when I'm down at the beach for the Galah in my avatar - he loves to eat them.

I've never seen a flower on one. They are the most conifer looking non-conifer out! Nice catch. :D

iansmitchell

Tele-Afflicted
Right you are. I pick up the "cones" when I'm down at the beach for the Galah in my avatar - he loves to eat them.

I've never seen a flower on one. They are the most conifer looking non-conifer out! Nice catch. :D

Convergent evolution is by far my favorite thing about nature.
For example:
whale-shark-with-fish.jpg

and
sperm-whale.jpg

One's a shark, one's a whale.
Same life strategy, so they become extremely similar, physically.
Life is beautiful.

guityak

Tele-Meister
I feel a bit strange having finished my build with a few days to go. I keep re-reading the rules just to check I haven't forgotten anything and therefore get disqualified. Having said that, it is nice though to sit back and watch the other builds come together without having to worry about my own. So to all those hard at it burning the candle at both ends (and those timing their run perfectly), all the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.