TDPRI $100 Telecaster Challenge -- Are you in?

Discussion in '2009 TDPRI Tele Build Challenge' started by TDPRI, Feb 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skrik

Skrik Tele-Holic

The ultimate Esquire: no neck pickup, and no neck. It'll save money on machine heads, too.

2. ajgus

ajgus Friend of Leo's

Paul, define "pre-made body". Do I have to cut the body or can someone else do it for me? After all, they are all pre-made when you think about it...Not trying to be a smartass, just asking...

3. martyb1

martyb1 Tele-Afflicted

Hmmm,this could be interesting:eek:

4. TDPRI

TDPRI Retired

Admin Post
    You have to make the body, not purchase it.

5. martyb1

martyb1 Tele-Afflicted

So,I managed to get a tele standard bridge pickup off evilbay for 99 cents
    Can I use that price or do I have to put a realistic price on it?
    Just curious ;)

6. TDPRI

TDPRI Retired

Admin Post
    Sounds like a 99 Cent pickup to me.

7. telescope

telescope TDPRI Member

sound like a crime has to be committed in order to build a guitar for $100, no less a tele, you would have to go to the junk yard or dumps every day looking for parts, but then again my diesel truck gets about 4 miles per dollar and the nearest dump is over 12 miles away or $3 each way, so one week at the dump is going to cost me $42 in travel expenses, that leaves not much for buying parts, even if i built a guitar out of fallen branches and a chunk of firewood i'm sure it still needs to look like a tele to qualify for this nonsense, sounds like a promo for stealing from others

8. Tele-Dave

Tele-Dave Tele-Holic

How are you going to determine who will get the guitar? Do you have to enter or sign up or is it going to be random of all current members?

9. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Not necessarily... Last night I went through my boxes of parts and pulled out everything I need. Add in an Eden neck which you can find for as low as $30 and I had a total of $120.60 and that includes the wood for the body. This is using all brand new parts. If I do some digging I can easily shed $25 from that total. So it is doable. You just have to be resourceful. ;)

10. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Don't forget that reasonable EDEN shipping cost. ;)

11. TDPRI

TDPRI Retired

Admin Post
    I haven't determined how the guitar will be award exactly. But unlike the Fundraiser there will be no donation to enter the contest.

I may have people register for it by signing up -- or I may just do it randomly out of ACTIVE members. I'll have until May to work all that out.

12. TDPRI

TDPRI Retired

Admin Post
    And don't forget that shipping costs are not included in the budget.

13. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

It sez that up there, don't it ??:oops:

14. BlueRob

BlueRob Tele-Meister

What a cool idea! I´m not entering but for the ones that do GOOD LUCK!
    Can wait to see the results!

15. Tom S

Tom S Friend of Leo's

Hmmm...on my last build, I totaled up the following:

Control plate and associated parts: $42.50
    Bridge, neck plate, ferrules, jack components: $34

I already had the control plate in my parts box, but a new one costs about $15. The pots cost me $14, the three-way switch was $12, and the bridge cost me $8. The cap cost $1.50. I already had the ferrules, but some new ones I just bought cost $6. I also had a neck plate in my box, but that would have cost $8 for a plain one. The electrosocket jack plate was about $9, and the output jack itself would have cost $3, but I used one I had.

Grand total: $76.50, give or take a few bucks, without pickups. No pickguard or screws included either. Or neck. Now I guess one could scrounge around for a better price on some of these components, but it's going to be awfully tough, even with the cheapest pickups, to build something for $100. And if you can do it, you've then done all that work in order to build a tele with the cheapest components you can find? Seems a bit weird to me.

Well, I won't be attempting it for another reason: the timing is awful...it's just too cold for those of us without dedicated, heated shops in the northeast and elsewhere. I guess this challenge would get a lot more takers in the spring, summer, or even fall months in the USA.

16. TDPRI

TDPRI Retired

Admin Post
    OK, now you've got the spirit of the enterprise -- that's exactly what's going on with this Challenge. But not just the cheapest parts -- the very best parts you can scrounge for the least amount of money. Using any new parts would be antithetical to the whole endeavor. It would seem to me.

I'm just saying.

17. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Well, because of the timing, I can't be involved in this. Seems to me that wood costs should be a factor. While the rules have been set for this contest, I suggest wood costs be included in any future contests. If you're going to have a $100 guitar contest, it seems you should include all components including the wood. This would show just how resourceful contestants can be. Also it wouldn't give an advantage to someone who purchased a StewMac swamp ash body blank for $96.88.

Include the wood costs and you'll really have a challenge.

18. TDPRI

TDPRI Retired

Admin Post
    I hear you Jack. I am not including wood because it would be difficult to determine the exact value and what if they messed up and wanted to start over. I think those are more compelling reasons than just to make the list complete.

Stew Mac Sells a uncut body blank? A plain piece of uncut wood for $96? If they do then I'm getting into that business.

Lastly, if someone wants to use $120 worth of uncut wood to build a guitar they might have to swap for $100 then heaven help them.

Besides, this is all just for FUN. At least that's the intention.

19. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Don't know if they actually sell them but they do list them.

......[​IMG]

20. martyb1

martyb1 Tele-Afflicted

The only reason I decided to use swamp ash was because I have it here and it cost me nothing.It was given to me from a guy that just had it sitting in his garage and he was going to try to build a guitar.That and the fact I have used up all my scrap on my other builds:eek:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.