Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
Tonight on tcm

Is the the buddy holly story at 9:45 pm eastern

Followed by

Great balls of fire

Hail hail rock and roll

And a couple more

Figured I’d let those who care know if they haven’t seen that these movies are on

I’ll be taping a couple

Jailhouse rock was just on

Slip Kid

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I haven’t seen “Hail, Hail…” in years and am recording it. I was watching “Jailhouse Rock” earlier. I thought parts of it weren’t that good but it was still enjoyable. Was that Scotty Moore and the rest of Elvis’ band playing his band in the movie?

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
I haven’t seen “Hail, Hail…” in years and am recording it. I was watching “Jailhouse Rock” earlier. I thought parts of it weren’t that good but it was still enjoyable. Was that Scotty Moore and the rest of Elvis’ band playing his band in the movie?
Yea Scotty Moore was there they even had his famous echosonic amp built by Ray Butts in the film

For those who don’t know Ray Butts also invented the filtertron pickup

I’m not familiar enough with the rest of his band to tell if that was Bill Black on bass or not I assume it was

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Gary Busey was great in the Buddy Holly
I agree. However, I just dialed away from the movie because I see no reason to watch it again. It bothers me that there is no time at all given to what was created in Norman Petty’s studio in Clovis, NM. One might wonder if there was a legal or financial reason why Petty and his studio are never mentioned in the film??.

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
I agree. However, I just dialed away from the movie because I see no reason to watch it again. It bothers me that there is no time at all given to what was created in Norman Petty’s studio in Clovis, NM. One might wonder if there was a legal or financial reason why Petty and his studio are never mentioned in the film??.
I don’t know enough about Holly to spot the historical inaccuracies

I know enough about gear though to spot that everything (guitars/amps) used in the movie so far are post Holly’s death
yes, I took note of that Butts amp. I owned #28 for a while. I was the third owner.
That is so ffff freaking awesome!

Was it the same as Scotty’s an echo model?

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Yes. As far as I know, all 68 were built in the same manner save for #1, which was bought by Chet Atkins. When sold to Atkins, #1 had a cruder cabinet. #1 was later retrofitted by Ray Butts into the type of cab that we see for Scotty Moore’s amp, which was maybe #2. #3 might have been owned by Carl Perkins. As I understand it, Butts built all 68 amps by himself…cabs, chassis etc.

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Tonight on tcm

Is the the buddy holly story at 9:45 pm eastern

Followed by

Great balls of fire

Hail hail rock and roll

And a couple more

Figured I’d let those who care know if they haven’t seen that these movies are on

I’ll be taping a couple

Jailhouse rock was just on

Yep. Before I got into the shower I was watching Buddy play a 70s Fender Bronco. Seems like a good movie, overall.

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
Yep. Before I got into the shower I was watching Buddy play a 70s Fender Bronco. Seems like a good movie, overall.

I love broncos, still affordable too

I’m trying to figure out what the tele he’s playing is

I can’t tell if it’s a partscaster or not

It’s a late 67-early 69 neck but the body looks like it has a post 72 shape, although I guess it could be the original body it looks like maybe a refin with a new black guard