TCM amazes me once gain!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DougM, Oct 27, 2021.

1. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

We're just finishing a documentary about Carl Laemmle, an early film pioneer who took on the monpoly that Edison had, winning almost 300 lawsuits against Edison's strangling monopoly over film makers, and being the first filmaker to name his stars (creating the star system), making the first full length feature films, when others were only making shorts to be viewed at the Nickleodeons, which Edison also had a strangle hold over, the first to create a consortium of idependent filmakers, calling it Universal, moving to California, in part to further fight Edison, building one of the first, if not first, major studios in California, hiring many unknown producers, directors, and actors, who later became extremely famous. He also took on subject matter that was controversial and unheard of at that time, and hired many women directors, which was also very rare then. After selling Universal, he became a staunch acrivist against the Nazis in Germany, and for the rights of Jewish people worldwide.
    If anyone is interested in this amazing story, it airs again at 145 am Eastern time

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
    uriah1, richiek65, 1guy and 8 others like this.
  2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Darn.....I saw this scheduled and meant to watch. :(

DougM and Buckocaster51 like this.
  3. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Poster Extraordinaire

There's still a Laemmle movie theatre chain in the LA area which focuses on foreign, indie and art films.

DougM likes this.
  4. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

I love this kind of thing.

DougM likes this.
  5. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

There was a saying about his nepotistic tendencies: "Carl Laemmle has a very large family." (I rhymes if you say his name correctly.)

nojazzhere and DougM like this.
  6. pbenn

pbenn Tele-Afflicted

Just saw it. Very interesting. Especially the clash between nascent '30s unions and immigration.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.