TCL Roku TV vs. Toshiba Fire TV

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tele-rain, Feb 18, 2020.

1. tele-rain

tele-rain Friend of Leo's

My TV is about 10 years old, I got it 10 years ago, but not sure how long the model was around at that time, as it was a gift. It works fine, but I want an upgrade. I've been putting this off for a good year or so now, so finally ready to just pull the plug.

So the other day at a friends house, I asked what TV she had, it was nice enough to me. She said it was a decently priced Toshiba "Fire TV". She said she loved it and a friend of hers has the same one, next day she sent me a link to one at $299 on Amazon. So I followed her link and started to research it. Just about every review I came upon mentioned that these level of TVs are known to be budget friendly. But they kept comparing it to a TCL Roku TV, which comes in at $269, for the same size, 50 inch. TCL had better reviews in all the articles I dug up, but I've never heard of TCL. Since I'm not super techy, I tend to just stick with brands I know. My TV now is Samsung and it's lasted 10 years with zero issues. So I do some research on TCL and learn it's a Chinese based company that's been competing with the more widely known Japanese brands for a while now, and kind of kicking ass at it. So I mention this to my friend and say I think I'm gonna go with that TCL, but she's like, hmm personally I'd go with Toshiba since you know people who have it and the other you don't. So now I'm torn, do I go for the cheaper, unheard of brand, that's gotten better reviews around the web, or a friend's advice who's not all that techy either?

As for streaming, I have a Roku box attached to this TV. I totally understand that with either of these "smart" TVs, I will no longer need the box, as they're built in. WIth the Toshiba Fire TV, I'd have to switch to that method, which I guess is just the same once you get used to it. I'm guessing they're all a matter of just signing into the accounts once it's all set up? Or are there other differences between Roku and Fire TV? I mostly watch Netflix and Amazon Prime for streamed stuff. I'm assuming both are available on either platform.

Decisions, decisions.

2. jprizz

jprizz TDPRI Member

At Christmas I converted to a Roku box and love it. Then a month later I bought the 50" TCL Roku TV and absolutely love it! My brother has one too and they like it. I would highly recommend it, granted it's brand new, so take it for what it is... It replaces a Samsung smart TV, lets just say I will NEVER buy a Samsung TV again. Also, my brother tells me its made in the USA too. If it is, I would suspect its the "Assembled in the USA from globally sourced components" Either way great TV, I'm sure you cant go wrong with either choice.

tele-rain likes this.
  3. modavis99

modavis99 Tele-Meister

I don’t understand - why not plug your Roku box into the HDMI port of any TV? Then the built-in software/apps of that TV don’t matter.

Alamo likes this.
  4. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I thought Roku was a widget for the back of a TV to get wifi tv streams,
    not TV?

Interesting..they sell TVs now. too

5. tele-rain

Thank you! That's pretty much what a lot of the reviews were saying. Tech wise for the price, it was better at contrast than the Toshiba. And while my friend's TV looked awesome to me when I was there, I wasn't paying THAT much attention. When I'm on my own, watching many things, I'd be more nitpicky.

Glad to hear the brand lives up to the the reviews I've seen so far.

6. tele-rain

Because I want to upgrade the TV itself with the newer technologies, and screen size

7. tele-rain

The ”Smart”’ TV technology has changed the need for an external box to stream. Now they are built into the TV itself.

uriah1 and Greggorios like this.
  8. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

I had a 37” TCL Roku Tv when the first came out about five years ago.
    Then about two years ago my kids bought me a 42” TCL Roku TV. Both were presents from my kids.
    Both TV’s have performed flawlessly and I don’t believe you could ask for more.
    The TV signs me into any app without me having to even think about it.
    The Roku app will update itself at least once a day so that every app I have a absolutely current.
    I love the TV and if I ever need something bigger I’ll but a TCL Roku without giving it a second thought.

tele-rain likes this.
  9. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

I've purchased three TCL TVs in the past year -- three if you count one I bought for my mother. I have 43-inch 4 series models in my garage and a daughter's room and a 75-inch 6 series in the living room, and I'm very happy with all of them.

I've been streaming since the first Roku box came out and I've stayed away from smart TVs, but these have a great UI and audio pass-through. I have a Fire Stick, and the UI is a mess.

TCL 6-Series (2019 Roku TV) review: The best TV picture quality for the money

tele-rain likes this.
  10. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

...which means that when Roku/Amazon/Whoever stops supporting that hardware, you're going to have to buy a newer version and plug it into the back.

Isn't this the same reason that digital amps are bad?

11. Skully

Your TV should last so long.

tele-rain likes this.
  12. Deepblankspace

Deepblankspace TDPRI Member

I have a visio smart tv and its reached the end of its lifespan. The apps are painfully slow and hulu is almost unusable now.
    Going to switch to running my ps4 through the tv, the ps4 updates.

So in short, do you want to buy a tv every 3 yeara? For some guys its a yes, they come out with novel tvs, 8k, curved screen, ect.
    For someone like me who just wants the tv to work, ide rather keep it for 10+ years and know its ganna be just fine

13. Skully

It's different with a Roku TV. Keeping the apps updated is a priority for Roku, because that's what they're selling, that's their brand. Also, an increasingly large portion of their income is ad revenue.

tele-rain likes this.
  14. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

I bought a TCL roku tv around xmas ... the innards don't quite have the oomph to run the Spectrum tv app so I still ended up getting a standalone roku ultra. picture quality was better than the junky tv with burn-in I had before so I can't complain. unless you're running your local cable company's streaming app on your tv instead of their hardware box you should be fine

15. tele-rain

Awesome, I am feeling way more confident about the TCL now! And I do like the idea of sticking with Roku in its updated form. I’ve had no issues with that little box either over the years.

As for wanting a new TV every 3 years, no that’s not super practical to me. But I have given into the concept that technology moves super fast these days. It’s not practical to try and hold on to things for a longer amount of time, unless you’re into keeping those things running by older means. So I am fine with upgrading when the device no longer works. A lot can happen in 3 years, the technology may be vastly differently. Or the world could could explode by then. Either way, I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    boredguy6060 likes this.
  16. GeneB

GeneB TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Any new tv bought now will be obsolete by year-end. HOLD OFF buying, as 4k OTA with HDR and 120mhz refresh is on its way. As it will be on a new frequency range any tv sold now will not receive it. Basically today's tv will be repurposed for 5G, and new frequencies assigned for 4K. New frequencies require a new receiver which is only going to be in the next-gen tvs all the major tv manufacturers have ready to roll out. You can read about it below ... but every tv in the US today will need to be replaced to receive the new transmissions.

https://www.cnet.com/news/next-gen-tv-is-free-4k-tv-with-an-antenna-and-its-coming-this-year/

17. tele-rain

Whoa...this is A LOT to consider now. I have to read the link more closely later on at home. But I’m going to be a bit cynical for the moment. I doubt that everyone is going to jump on this by year end. There got to be some benefit to still buying a decent 4K TV now. I’ll have to do more research.

Georox likes this.
  18. Skully

At a reunion of the people who lived in my cul de sac in the 1970s, some neighbors complained that their parents refused to buy a color TV "because the technology hasn't been perfected."

Georox, tele-rain and Toto'sDad like this.
  19. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

We have an almost nine year old fifty five inch Phillips TV that plays just as well as it ever did. We also have a forty three inch Samsung TV in the bedroom that's a little over a year old. We bought a $49 Roku Streaming Stick + for each of them, they work perfectly! I'll cross the road of new technology when I come to it. The only thing I do with a TV is watch it. I don't care if it has the latest technology, if the pic is good, I'm good.

boredguy6060 and Deepblankspace like this.
  20. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

We bought our first color tv in 1968, a Phico round screen 21"! I could look at it even when it wasn't turned on and just be blown away by the very concept of color tv! I can still remember the thrill of watching programs that were broadcast in COLOR! I don't remember much about the classic books I've read, but I'll never forget watching the 1968 Elvis comeback specie in COLOR!

Skully likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.