TCE TonePrint - how quick & reliable to update?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by telel6s, Nov 6, 2019.

1. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

I'm interested in a couple of the TC Electronic pedals with Tone Print. How quickly & reliable can they be updated via cell phone and guitar pickup? I'm not thinking of doing it several times during a set, but possibly between sets. For example with reverb, first set is big airy hall with mod. Second set is more rocking so switch to a spring reverb. Or first set is acoustic and second set I play electric so want a different sound.

I'm looking at the mini versions - I know the full-sized have several slots for TonePrints but I'm working on a budget here.

Thanks.

2. Suproman

Suproman Tele-Meister

I don't currently have a TC Electronic toneprint pedal, but from what I remember it only takes a few seconds to update, I never had any problems.

3. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

2-3 Seconds after you have selected it in the app. It makes a noise you will have to mute for the audience not to hear.

I’ve never changed a TonePrint in a gig though. I have HOF mini which can store one.

If I really thought I might need to change TonePrints, I’d save and avoid the mini pedals which don’t store several onboard.

My serious reverbs and delays comes from a Lexicon MX200 in my fx loop. Same price as a pedal and a quantum leap better in terms of sound. Got memories. No phone/app needed.

4. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Afflicted

It's rather fast but i would never do it in a live situation, why don't you buy a pedal where you can store presets ?
    For example the Nova Reverb, the quality is great and now also the price.....

4pickupguy likes this.
  5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I always worry about those techno musos that use a laptop for their performances. What if a Windows update gets forced on them?!

6. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

There is about $25 difference between the minis and regular pedals, but that’s not the reason you want the regular pedal! Let me explain. Not only do the full size pedal have slots to store presets, they have four knobs you can assign parameters to. For example, you can have one knob all the way up to give you a big lush reverb. Turn the same knob all the way down, it’s a short gated ‘slap ‘. I would not rely on the phone thing at a gig. Not because TC but because the reception or wifi issues. The minis are good for single sound ‘set and forget’ applications.
    The TonePrint thing is genius.

Shuster and telel6s like this.
  7. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

Thanks. Sounds like it's not reliable or quick enough to do that (switch toneprint between sets).

As for why the minis, HoF and Flashback mini's show up for $50-$60 on eBay and Reverb vs. $90+ for the full size. I'm not looking to tapdance through settings in the middle of songs or sets; just wondering about switching for different sets. More money saved is more money saved.

HoF vs other pedals - I want something with pre-delay to use with acoustic guitar and on vocals the FX loop of a small mixer. HoF is just about the least expensive I've found. No doubt the Nova NR-1 is good, but it's way out of my budget. Flashback would replace a Carbon Copy which I love for what it does but I could also use a little more flexibility.

As for putting rackmout effects in the loop of my amp, an FX send & return is something that Leo seems to have left out of the design of my NR Princeton and he only thought to include a one knob spring tank on my Super Reverb. That stupid Leo; what was he thinking? :D

4pickupguy likes this.
  8. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I saw a gig where the guitar player kept changing the "toneprint" settings on his pedal. Embarassing, unprofessional mess, really a ridiculous waste of time. With any normal pedal you can just crank the level control up and down, that is plenty of control for any live show.

9. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

You could probably do that between sets, the tech works pretty well.

But I wouldn't. Just another distraction and potential for drama. Are the default settings on the new toneprint where they work best for you and the room? How do you test that live?

My Alter Ego 4x can have multiple tone prints installed that are accesed by the selection knob. The mini's can't do this? Even then, who wants to turn knobs live? I'd be using different pedals if the sound mattered that much.

^and I agree with above, I think it would be horrible to endure as an audience. It would drive me crazy to sit through.

10. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic

I have the Flashback x3, the big boy. It has plenty of storage capacity. And, unless they’ve changed things, I’m fairly certain that I can actually store presets from other effects in my pedal

I should probably experiment more with that, but I don’t really use modulation type effects.

Can anyone else confirm the “storing other effects” thing?

4pickupguy likes this.
  11. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

I mean we're talking about like a $20 dollar difference here right? Just buy the full sized one and don't worry about fussing with things between sets.

Take if from someone who has done the 1.) Buy the cheaper thing. 2.) Wasn't happy because it wasn't what I really wanted. 3.) Sold the cheaper thing for probably less than I paid for it. 4.) Bought the thing that I really wanted anyway.

In the long run, you'll come out way cheaper just saving up and getting what you really want. I can't count the number of times that the cheap route turned out to be the way more expensive route by the time the dust settled.

Apologies if that sounds preachy, I really don't intend it to be, that's just the advice that I wish someone would have given me years ago. Meant with love.

12. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

On the used markets I've checked it's more like a $40 difference. Ain't nothin' wrong with saving a little money. Buying the more expensive model isn't necessarily better if the cheaper model does what you need (my S trim car gives me everything I need; paying for the SL or SLX would have been a waste in my case). Between sets I'm already fussing with a beer, talking to friends, updating social media, tuning guitars, etc - updating a pedal via a phone doesn't sound like that big of a deal if it works quickly and correctly.

But I was asking here before spending any money to find these things out. Sounds like I would find the mini versions, especially HoF, too limiting for several reasons.

13. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Holic

You'll need a way to mute your signal chain after the TC pedal, but before the amp. Otherwise a good samaritan from the audience will jump onstage and beat you deservedly with 8 lbs of maple and basswood.

I thought I had escaped that sound in 2007 when I switched from dial-up to DSL. Thanks TC!

14. Lies&Distortion

Ha, very true! Forgot about that. Could be an interesting effect for the right song...

15. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

Interesting. Back in the late 1990s/early 2000s I worked with troubleshooting modem communications (we had customers in locations where it would be another decade before even DSL showed up). Does TonePrint do a handshake (all that static with a couple beeps)? Or does it pretty much just start sending the data for a new setting? No reason why they couldn't mute the output as soon as connection is made then turn output back on once the update is completed. I think all these pedals send the original signal as straight analog even when the pedal is on, but they also have a mix control and can be used as all-wet. OK, I'm geeking out over antiquated technologies. :rolleyes:

The Hotone XTOMP pedals use a bluetooth connection for their updates.

16. Mexitele Blues

I couldn't tell you exactly what's happening inside a toneprint pedal, but they would need some sort of handshake before the data, or you might accidentally reprogram your pedal with a raunchy pickslide.

17. BigDaddyLH

You could also have multiple toneprint pedals on your board. The signal must identify which is to be reprogrammed. I wonder... if you have two identical pedals, like two delays, would both be programmed?

18. Mexitele Blues

I imagine they would, as the sound makes it through the first pedal.

19. Lies&Distortion

The one you are plugged into? I send the signal to the pedal through the pick ups, from the phone speaker. Using USB and a computer would be different.

20. BigDaddyLH

Yes, I was imagining it with a phone thru the signal chain.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.