TC spark boost....pre or post tube screamer?

fender4life

Friend of Leo's
Yes, i COULD just do what works best but thing is I have treid both ways and i'm not sure. So rather than wait for several band jams to get a better idea of which way works best i thought i'd see what others think Never been much of a pedal guy either so those wo are probably know better then I. It will just be a board with those 2 pedals and nothing else, but the way they will be mounted will not be easily swapped for reasons too long winded to go into. In any case the point is i wanna see what others with the spark boost and a tube screamer that use them like i do think regarding the best position to run the, The park will be an always on to just bump the gain and tone a slight bit for models that have too little gain or need tonal adjustments the amp doesn't accomplish well on it's own. The tube screamer will be used with the drive on zero and level up for a clean boost to drive the amp harder for liquid solos. Amp and spark set for classic rock degree of gain. My thought is spark first and screamer last. Just wanna see what others thing before i mount them on a board. No other effects on the board.

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Boost before TS9..
You want a fat signal pre...imho
Boost is better as always on anyways in most applications.

mjcyates

Tele-Holic
Ad Free Member
Since you are using the Tube Screamer for a lead boost I would put it after the Spark. This will allow more control over the volume of your solos.

El Tele Lobo

Poster Extraordinaire
If you want to increase drive/saturation when you step on your second pedal, put the tube screamer after the spark. If you want to simply increase volume, put the spark after the tube screamer.

fender4life

Friend of Leo's
It won't increase volume, as gain will he high enough that any extra boost from the screamer will just add gain. So thats not a concern. The only concern is whether the screamer or spark would be the one that best handles a big signal at their input.

loopfinding

Poster Extraordinaire
It won't increase volume, as gain will he high enough that any extra boost from the screamer will just add gain. So thats not a concern. The only concern is whether the screamer or spark would be the one that best handles a big signal at their input.

This. But assuming both can take substantial or equal amount of signal, if you are using the spark as an amp EQ it’s going to have less of an effect before the TS than after.

fender4life

Friend of Leo's
This. But assuming both can take substantial or equal amount of signal, if you are using the spark as an amp EQ it’s going to have less of an effect before the TS than after.
Makes sense. Best that the always on device is hitting the input directly rather then the TS which might squash or otherwise change the signal from the always on device, who's effect is more important than the TS thats only used for liquid solos which are a fraction of the time. So yeah, i think that's it thanks.