TC MojoMojo

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by mcentee2, Sep 3, 2016.

1. mcentee2

mcentee2 Tele-Meister

Does anyone know what flavour of circuit OD the Mojo is?

Google isn't helping much in this one!

Is it a tweaked Tube Screamer, or Bluesbreaker, Timmy etc ?

Am I looking at MOSFET, opamp, BJT or something unique ?

I am GASsing for a Spark booster as a light OD and wondering if these two are in the same family (opamp but not TS voiced), the Mojo just being "more", and if they overlap at all.

I also realise that all the types of circuit can overlap in sound/tonality and not all 4558s are TSs etc

Connected to the above, I notice 11Gauge hasn't been around, I hope all is OK there :(

Staypuft1652 likes this.
  2. themandolinguy

themandolinguy Tele-Meister

I'd be interested in knowing.

3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't know about the circuit but I felt it sounded good and certainly the price is right; I was quite tempted for awhile, but then after some time of listening to clips my ears found the narrow spectrum of sound colouring of the Mojomojo a bit tedious. Hearing a few owners of it say the same kept me from picking one up

Staypuft1652 and tele-bastard like this.
  4. DannyStereo

DannyStereo Poster Extraordinaire

It's a relatively flat response, with maybe some emphasis in the low mids.

I believe it's meant to sound like a cranked vintage amp. In other words, there's a good amount of 'sag' quality in the bass, and you won't be able to coax tight 'preamp' drive out of it. My buddy has one I borrowed for a while.

I found it a little dark for my tastes, but it's a great sounding overdrive.

Staypuft1652 likes this.
  5. Stingfan73

Stingfan73 Tele-Afflicted

At $50, TC Electronic Mojomojos are so inexpensive, well-built, and easy to find (generally speaking), that the best advice I can give, is: FIND ONE AND TRY IT. See if you like the sound. If so, buy it. If not, don't buy it. Also there's tons of demos on YouTube of the pedal. A hint here is that you may want to pay attention to see what pedal that Mojomojo is compared to, and those will be informative videos too.

6. mcentee2

mcentee2 Tele-Meister

All true no doubt, but being a pedantic sod it's bugging me there is no info about the circuit family it is from :)

All I have found are the references to voltage doubling....

Sound wise I am happy to get a Spark, and I know what that is based on and how it does it's stuff.....

Tele56 likes this.
  7. DannyStereo

It may not be based on a popular circuit at all. It's a very unique sound

Staypuft1652 likes this.
  8. mcentee2

mcentee2 Tele-Meister

Indeed, welcome to my world - except I am going a bit further and wondering if anyone knows what that may be.

Like biological phyla it is rare a new one crops up! . :)

Staypuft1652 likes this.
  9. DannyStereo

Do you need a sound sample? I can see about borrowing my friend's MojoMojo?

10. mcentee2

mcentee2 Tele-Meister

Hiya - thanks, but no need, it isn't the "sound" I am after - I am intrigued as to the circuit and if it is a "new" variation on how to get overdrive compared to the main ones already known that nearly all ODs are derived from in some way.

I can usually work it out from google and others' investigations and or clones - but the Mojomojo seems to have gone under the usual radars.

(Possibly my phrasing, but like a lot of TDPRI threads things tend to get slightly off topic :) )

11. TmyBmore

TmyBmore Tele-Meister

I have one. Bought it because its inexpensive. I don't know if it's a clone of anything. I've seen videos of it against everything from a Klon to a Boss SD1. It's a low to med gain overdrive. I don't think its dark sounding and it's not muddy.

12. Cosmicdancer

Cosmicdancer Tele-Meister

I have one, but it's not currently on my board. It's not a bad pedal, especially considering the price, but it's a bit dark for my tastes. I used it more as a fat boost to go along with other pedals until I got the real deal in the better (for that purpose, at least) Fulltone Fat Boost 3. I still have the pedal as a decent backup OD if I ever need one. Certainly worth the $50 they cost new.

I don't think it's a clone of any particular pedal.

13. CAAD8N8

CAAD8N8 Tele-Holic

I have one and can't figure out what it's based off of. I would love to know. The closest thing I could think of would be an OCD. I bought it for high gain and ended up using it for lower gain. Good pedal, especially for the price!

14. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

I love this pedal! I use is for low gain, jazz with a little bit of hair on it. It just takes my tone and fattens it really nicely, and it's really dynamically sensitive. Ive never been much of a pedal guy--mostly they make me feeling like I'm playing through some kind of filter,--but lately I've been running through a bunch or pedals looking of a way to add a little dirt and funk to jazz. This really hits the sweet spot sonically and more important, it feels good--it feels like Im playing through an amp, not a screen.

I'd love to know what they did with this pedal and if the basic difference is my imagination

15. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

I was thinking about buying a MojoMojo but then chose the Dark Matter after trying out both. But it was a very close race, I only went for the Dark Matter as it does both low gain, as well as higher gain settings, whereas the MojoMojo is definitely a (great) lowgain pedal. The "muddyness" some here claimed only came with higher gain-settings.
    Both pedals have in common that they keep the basic amp (and guitar) sound, they're not completely tweaking the sound into something new. You won't change a Twin Reverb/Tele setup into some sort of modded high gain Marshall/Flying V or vice versa.
    But if you're satisfied with the basic tone of your amp and guitar (which I am) and are looking for some variety with low noise and good dynamics, you should try it out!

16. rockhopper

rockhopper NEW MEMBER!

I like the Mojomojo because of its low gain abilities. Nice earthy bluesy sound. The only thing I don't like is the foot switch. It is so clicky and loud, unlike my other TC pedals. Definitely not soft touch momentary. Is there anything can be done about that? Put some WD40 in or what?

Staypuft1652 likes this.
  17. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Afflicted

I own both. They're quite different IMO. I wouldn't call the Mojomojo dark, but it certainly has lots of bass on tap. I usually keep the bass at 9:00ish. As others have said, it's a low gain pedal and, to my ears, very tweedy. I can see why Maxvintage likes it for jazz. It has a real Kenny Burrell vibe and a real amplike feel.

The Spark is a whole other thing. I like to think of it as an equalizer with lots of boost on tap and some very usable presets. It has a Gain knob, but, honestly, I don't hear any added dirt when I engage it, just more boost. If I could have only one, I'd keep the Spark. Wonderful pedal.

Staypuft1652 likes this.
  18. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I dont know what kind of circuit but I love mine. I own my share of boutique pedals but use this one a lot. I bought it on a whim due its low price. Dont be fooled, its a great pedal. I use it for darker distortion sounds. Ive heard people say they dont think its dark. I would say its highly configurable. However, to my tastes, dark sounding distortion that doesnt get muddy is what I like it for.

I am curious about the circuit, however, it might be better not to know as right now it runs on magic!

Staypuft1652 and CAAD8N8 like this.
  19. tele-bastard

tele-bastard Friend of Leo's

I don't think they make a bad TC pedal in this line Hammerhead design. I think a spark booster is great to hit a tube amp with. When I went back to solid state I got rid of it but even then it did a good mild Overdrive. A lot of people like the Mojo

Staypuft1652 likes this.
  20. dave_b

dave_b TDPRI Member

Very late to that party on this thread. Definitely do not add WD40 to the switch. If it's anything like the Dark Matter pedal, the switch is unfortunately soldered directly to the board, so there's not much to do about it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.