TC Mimiq mini for $35 new!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Festofish, Jun 15, 2021.

1. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Andertons is having a sale on the mini Mimiq from TC. $25 plus ten for shipping to the US. $35 for a new pedal you can’t get used for under $50!

2. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Friend of Leo's

I'm curious about this pedal, i don't really understand if it's useless to use it in mono or not, do you know that ?

Mad Kiwi and Festofish like this.
  3. JesterR

JesterR Tele-Afflicted

I do not want to be negative, but am I the only one, who think, that it sounds bad from the demos, and feel more like a bedroom gimmick?

If I want to thicken up mono sound, I would use analog delay, like Way Huge AP, which also gives a lot more versatility, and proofed to work great in live situation.
    And for stereo spread, good chorus, like CE-2W or any other also proved to gives a pleasant results.

I understand, that they do some "randomness' and other stuff, but it would not give you real double track, because key for a good double track, to have different sound also. And I doubt, if it would really sounds different live, other then some weird chorus.

Festofish and Seasicksailor like this.
  4. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

@Festofish where are you seeing this price? I'm seeing £29.99, and £9.99 shipping, which Google converts to $56.29 USD. Which is still not bad, but not as good as $35. :)

I think this would be useful for me. I'm in a "power trio" and it would be cool to have the random minor variations that makes the double track L/R sound so big.

Delay isn't the same. It's predictable, so you hear it as "single sound plus echo" rather than as two different sound sources. A "tight-but-not-exactly-the-same" doubled track sounds fatter, like the L/R guitar tracks on Walk This Way. Close enough to register as "the same" but with tiny variations that also register as "different."

Edit:

@Thin white duke I'd probably split the signal close to the end of the signal chain with something transparent like a tuner, then put this between the split and amp #2 set to 0% dry.

But if it can't do 0% dry then yeah, the mini seems kind of pointless. Which may be why they are on sale, lol

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    Festofish, PhredE and Doctorx33 like this.
  5. Chandlerman

Chandlerman Tele-Meister

My Mimiq pedal is always on. I'd be all over this if I didn't already have one.

Festofish likes this.
  6. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

Mono or stereo?

Festofish likes this.
  7. Chandlerman

Chandlerman Tele-Meister

The pedal is set up for mono but it's right in front of an ABY splitter because I love to play in stereo.

8. BackwaterJunction

BackwaterJunction Tele-Meister

I've got the stereo Mimiq, the fullsize one. I've barely even used it in stereo. I do love it as a "thickener" though, works great for adding an extra bit of life to a solo. It's a long way from the most necessary pedal but I do enjoy using it.

9. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

10. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

Thanks. I guess the question I and others are curious about is whether it’s worth it if you are only playing in mono.

Edited to say I went and watched a couple of demos and answered the question. Apparently this new miniature version doesn’t even have a stereo option, so clearly mono use is encouraged.

The thing I couldn’t tell from the demos is whether the effect sounds artificial at all. It seems like a cool sound but can you tell it is digital?

This seems like an effect where the line between cool and cheesy might be very fine.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  11. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

that's helpful.

Festofish likes this.
  12. Chandlerman

Chandlerman Tele-Meister

It doesn't sound artificial to me. It's very subtle, just a little thickening of your sound. Like I said before it's an always on pedal for me. All my guitars and amps sound just a little bit better with the Mimiq.

13. Festofish

I bought it via PayPal and it said $25 for the pedal and $10 for shipping. It only changed $$ at checkout.

14. Festofish

My mistake!!! $35 pounds not dollars!!! Ended up being $51.68 so my bad. Still cheaper than a used one!

thesamhill likes this.
  15. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

don't know about the mini, I use the full size one and run the outputs (2) through 2 different amps or amp sims. It works well at doubling and gives some amazing sounds with a piezo equipped acoustic. I use it for recording as i don't like having to play things over when the pedal can do it. I also use a wiretap often as the 1st element in the chain and that way I play it once and can replay from the wiretap and spend my time tweaking knobs and buttons that I can't when I've got a guitar in my hands playing it...

being a on one man producer,writer.engineer, musician, calls on being creative in how one creates a recording chain..

the wiretap does have its own quirks, but its cool, I own 2 of them

upload_2021-6-16_12-11-32.jpeg

not the mini, the full mimiq

upload_2021-6-16_12-12-37.jpeg

thesamhill and Festofish like this.
  16. Festofish

I thought so. I’ve been wanting one for a while and thought my fellow guitarists would like a heads up. I can describe it to you if that would help or you could Google it yourself. Yeah do that.

17. Festofish

Love my Ditto!

18. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

thats almost 'dirty'....

Festofish likes this.
  19. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

I used the mimiq TonePrint within my Plethorax5. I’m not even sure what is supposed to sound like but it was far too extreme and I didn’t like the sound. I occasionally use a very short single repeat delay (like 7ms) as a doubler for unison riffing with the bassist sometimes in conjunction with a lower octave. The Mimiq must use pitch shifting because it always sounded unnatural. I didn’t spent much time with it however, because it’s not my cup of tea...

20. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

No worries! Still seems like a good enough deal that I went ahead and ordered one. Thanks for the heads up!

From my understanding, doubling is supposed to be pretty subtle. Kind of like compression- I think the end result is supposed to be something you can't quite put your finger on.

My live music projects tend to be solos, duos, or trios as most of the people in my life are also parents with day jobs and scheduling can be tough.

I can get away with some pretty standard equipment- guitar, amp, and a decent multi fx pedal- but I'm always on the lookout for ways to add ”size" to the sound without adding additional tasks.

Cheers!

Festofish likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.