1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

TC Flashback X4

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Jonloder, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Jonloder

Jonloder TDPRI Member

I posted this in the other pedal forum but there doesn't seem to be much traffic over there:

I just picked up a used TC Flashback X4 because:
    - I'm a fan of TC in general (except for their repackaged Behringer line)
    - The reviews on this particular pedal were all very good
    - My basic analog pedal is starting to show signs of failing.
    - It was at GC for $149 and they have a 45-day return policy

That means I have 44 days left to determine if I really want this thing.

The issue:
    There may be a defect in this one. The Delay Level knob (I assume that's the wet/dry mix) goes from zero to about the 10 o'clock position with no effect. At that point, I get a little more than I want. It seems like the knob is dead below that. From 10 o'clock up to max, it seems to make a smooth transition to wet.

I'm hoping maybe someone who is familiar with this one can tell me if it's normal or maybe there's some setting that I'm missing.

4pickupguy likes this.
  2. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I had one but it didn't have that issue

Phrygian77 likes this.
  3. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

I've gone off TC since I had two of their pedals fail in the same week. Their customer service is abysmal. Really loved both of those pedals before they s--- the bed but never again!

4. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

There is nothing wrong with it. You can set the sweep curve of every knob. In fact you can have each knob assigned to as many as 3 parameters. Try all the factory presets and see if you still have the issue. Then try downloading a TonePrint in one of the TonePrint slots and if the issue persist. I’m betting it’s just set with a ‘suddenly on’ curve.

Excellent delay choice. They are killer! Congrats!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    Jonloder and PigBoy like this.
  5. PigBoy

PigBoy Tele-Meister

You should do a factory reset and driver update.
    There’s no way to know how the previous owner set things

E5RSY and Jonloder like this.
  6. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

Does it do it consistently, over different delay/toneprint choices?

Jonloder likes this.
  7. Jonloder

Jonloder TDPRI Member

I spent some time with it last night. The transmission of Toneprint settings by pickup doesn't seem to work for me. Perhaps it doesn't like Black Dove pups.

I downloaded the Toneprint for PC last night. It's not easy to use and I can't find any instructions for it. I did manage to figure out that the sensitivity of the knobs can be non-linear. I also found that the physical knob has a full range so my issue is definitely software.

Now I'm trying to figure out Toneprint. That is not a simple program. Any suggestions for learning it?

8. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Afflicted

Odd. I had no trouble with the toneprint app. It sounds like a dial-up modem in a blender, but it works.

9. Lies&Distortion

I haven't spent much time with it on a PC. Didn't have one at home until recently.

I put my phone or iPad directly over the pickups. Has worked with my guitars. Standard pickups, SC and HB.

Maybe it has issues.

I have an Alter Ego x4. I have been using the looper more this year. I think I am putting some wear on the footswitches. Starting to not trigger as well as when it was new.

Can you directly wire into them for loading TPs? I have wondered about that. Aren't there USB & midi ports? Never tried.

10. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Do this first. Do this first. Do this first.

Did I mention...do this first?

Also, no need to get bogged down in the TonePrint editor. 95% of people are satisfied with the TonePrints as downloaded. For now, focus on learning the pedal, itself.

Lies&Distortion and Jonloder like this.
  11. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Holic

I had one for awhile. Sounded great, loved the features, just one thing I couldn't abide...the tap tempo work on the release of the foot, not the attack. I couldn't consistently get the tempo right where I wanted it. Eventually sold it for a Boss DD-500.

12. Jonloder

Jonloder TDPRI Member

Yes I did, did, did. Good advice. I updated the firmware. Actually, I'm not sure if it updated or just installed the same version without warning. I'll never know.

It was interesting to see that you can change range and sensitivity for each button and even assign up to 3 functions on each. What I don't think I'll ever figure out is how that seemed to affect the stock (non-Toneprint) settings. It seems to be working much better now but I'm really liking the Toneprint editor. I suspect that I'll be spending most of my playing time on those 4 knob clicks.

E5RSY likes this.
  13. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

I think the delay TonePrints are among the most useful and fun. Those, and the reverbs.

14. Jonloder

Jonloder TDPRI Member

One more quick question...
    Can someone verify that the editor cannot change any of the knob settings outside of the Toneprint selections? or is it possible to edit the range and sensitivity of knobs on the Tape, Tube, etc settings?

15. 4pickupguy

You have to be in one of the 3 TonePrint slots. One of the reasons I bought my Egox4 all those years ago was TC’s promise to release periodic updates. They did one. It took the factory presets for some of the delays like the oil can, Memory man and dialed the modulation back from comical to merely ridiculous. If you have an older non-updated one it would be worth doing the firmware update. They all can be made to sound fantastic through the editor but I never wanted to use one of my 3 precious slots for oil can delay. Anymore, I only use the EP-3 and RE-201 sims.

That pedal is worth the money you paid for the EP-3 alone IMHO.

16. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I've wanted to get rid of mine for the last 4 years. It does what it does well, but it takes up too much real estate.

PXL_20201015_163207062.NIGHT.jpg

17. Tobias

Tobias Tele-Meister

Also try it with an expression pedal!

18. Lies&Distortion

I love one of the 'artist' toneprints that does a nice self oscillation thing, I think that's off the EP-3.

"comical to merely ridiculous":lol:

4pickupguy likes this.
  19. Lies&Distortion

How do you map what the exp controls?
    I spent way too long trying to figure that out on a weekend.

20. 4pickupguy

If you want to use an expression pedal, set-up your EXP like this:

The exp pedal works the TonePrint slots as well as the presets slots. You set it up just like you would one of the knob parameter assignments. You can set you exp to control 3 parameters at once like the knobs. That’s handy for things like rolling the feedback down while you raise the delay level to keep it from drowning everything with repeats etc,. Here’s a video to get you started in the TonePrint Editor.

Now that the app is loaded and you are up and running, here is a deeper dive into how to edit a TonePrint. It’s an old video and the sliders turned into “knobs” but its the same concept.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.