TC Electronics Dark Matter Distortion, My higher gain dirt!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Platefire, May 24, 2018.

1. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

I like three stages of dirt. Light OD, Strong OD and Distortion. Got tube screamers and tube screamer clones that fulfill my OD needs but I haven't really found a distortion I was really happy with until the Dark Matter. People seem to mistake it for the name and think it's a metal pedal, but it isn't. It is just a great hard Rock distortion. I've had medal pedals before and they were too high gain but the DM is not over the top gain. With the tone controls you can dial in just the right amount of treble and Bottom/Bass. For my purposes it's like the perfect distortion pedal. I had to get that off my chest, now I feel better! Platefire

2. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

I have the mojo mojo.. Maybe I need this one too

jannodude and lugnut111 like this.
  3. NWinther

NWinther Tele-Afflicted

Heh I use mine for lower gain stuff, nice and open!
    I got in a trade, and was pleasently surprised by it!

emisilly likes this.
  4. Platefire

I found mine in like new condition with box for $30 in a pawn shop. So I decided to give it a try. Another great thing about it is that is operational noise is very low. I've been using a P-90 guitar lately and no annoying noise with it's operation. Platefire

5. xjazzy

xjazzy Friend of Leo's

It's a very nice pedal, specially for the price.
    I let mine go cause it was a little flat compared to my KoT clone that has a slight but pleasent mid bump.

6. Platefire

I tried a DS-1 never could warm up to that. I then tired a Joyo Ultimate Drive and it was almost there but the DM was a home run IMHO. I now use the Ultimate Drive for my low gain pedal. Sold the DS-1. My mid-range OD is an old first generation VS Route 66. Platefire

7. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's

duh, I own one I never really thought of it as a distortion pedal, double duh. but o.k. it's distortion pedal to controls do a good job of making different flavors of grindage that are quite usable for my purposes. I can not compare it to anything that I know of, it sounds like.....augh... not my old RAT.
    I like it. can cheap be cool. :cool:

8. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I picked up TC Dark Matter pedal last year, and it's my "always on" low-gain overdrive (I stack a modded Boss DS-1 that I turn on for solos). I think the guy who traded it to me was also under the impression, because of the name, that it's a super-high gain death metal pedal. It's actually a moderate gain distortion with terrific note clarity, even cranked all the way up.

I too had a Joyo Ultimate Drive that I gave to a friend after I got the Dark Matter pedal. Don't get me wrong - the Ultimate Drive is a great pedal, but I was thinning the herd and so it went.

9. Serenity23

Serenity23 Tele-Holic

I like the Dark Matter, it's a good MIAB. If they'd named it better it would probably be a lot more popular.

10. lugnut111

lugnut111 NEW MEMBER!

Stack the Mojo Mojo with the Dark Matter. A myriad of tonal options with these two. They were designed to compliment each other. There's an older video in which Tore from TC Electronic discusses this, when they were first released.

11. the tool

the tool Tele-Holic

DM is great, very underestimated pedal... TC did a bad job marketing it although it got some attention alongside the Mojo Mojo. Those two are a great pair.

12. Platefire

Glad some other folks are liking the DM. Also mention the harmonics just flow out and I love to use it for slide also. Platefire

13. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

The DM is a very versatile overdrive. The EQ-section works fine - even extreme setting are useable. And it also keeps the basic sounds of both guitar and amp.
    My only beef is the Voice switch, that's rather....subtle.
    It's a great pedal 'though and I usually switch between the DM and my Fulltone OCD once a month on my main pedalboard.

14. javiermiy

javiermiy NEW MEMBER!

Hey guys! I am between Dark Matter and Suhr Riot (Mooer/Joyo clones) since what I need is a mid/high gain distortion. For low/mid I use a Mod Guvnor 2 + Tube Screamer, but I'd like to have a pure high gain choice in my pedalboard (Guvnor itself doesn't have so much gain, and I boost it with TS mainly for solos). Also, I would like to have a slightly diferentt sound from what I already have (not so far, since I love Marshall tone).
    Hope anyone can help me!

15. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

Well, the Dark Matter is sold for around 45,- Euro over here - you can't really doi anything wrong for that price......even if it isn't what you were looking for, you get a fine pedal for a session-board or jamming at home.
    Ypou can even run a bass through it for some grit...

kevsonic likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.