TC Electronic MojoMojo...

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Jakedog, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The honeymoon has begun.

Used it at a rehearsal the other night. When I tried it out at the store, I bought it because it was "close" to being what I wanted, and the price was definitely right. I figured with my amps, and some more time spent with the knobs, I could get it where I wanted it.

First impressions with a real amp and my own guitars-

Smooth, very warm, but still capable of superb clarity with the separate, active, bass and treble controls.

More gain and slightly more volume than a TS.

I'll have to gig it a few times to really get a real-world opinion on it, but so far, to say I'm impressed would be an understatement.

These things are on clearance at GC for $49. If you like good ODs for cheap, go pick one up. It's a really fun little unit, and at this price, really doesn't have any competition.

2. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

What do you think of the switch? I found that the switch required too much pressure to activate on my tc chorus pedal. Compared to the usual 3pdt that are on tons of pedals these days. I often would fail to engage the effect during a song when I needed to. I like the sound of the mojomojo in demos I've listened to, but I'm probably not going to get one.

Have you played an Xotic BB? From your description, higher gain TS with bass and treble controls, it sounds similar.

3. Jakedog

I have tried the BB. I found it brighter and edgier than I liked. I couldn't get it to smooth out the way I wanted it to. Admittedly, this was at a jam, and not with my own amp. But it didn't seem like it wanted to play nice, for what I wanted.

I will say, the Mojo, at the store, through a PRRI and a Supersonic would not do what I wanted it to do either. But it was close enough, I figured with my amps I could get it there. It looks like I figured right, I'll find out for sure when I gig it this weekend. Every time I give one another chance I'm reminded more strongly of why I really dislike Fender amps.

I don't have any issues with the switch at all. The switches on my Supa Trem are stiffer.

4. mrboson

mrboson Tele-Afflicted

I've had this on my "check it out sometime" list, but I haven't been in a store recently to try one.

But I think I'll pull the trigger and order one. My daughter is just getting started on electric (recently bought her a fun little white Squier strat, which I like to borrow :twisted:) and let her use my loose pedals. She needs an OD to play with, so I think I'll add the MojoJojo to the stash.

OK, just typing this talked me into it. Ordered. Less than $50? Hard to pass up.

5. Jakedog

I don't think you'll regret it. I'm running it into a custom 18 watter, that's already slightly dirty when I dig in. This OD gives me that really warm, fat, smoothness I dig. The active tone controls are really super useable and very responsive. It's a great OD. I passed up even trying it when it was full priced, because of the name. Just seemed super silly to me.

Now it seems like a silly reason to almost miss it. But hey, at least I got the clearance price!

I'm really looking forward to gigging it this weekend. If it does as well as I think it will, I'm gonna be a very happy camper. I was half thinking about ordering a Love Pedal Dover Drive. Even though I seriously don't have the cash right now. As of right now, I no longer feel the need.

6. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

When I had mine, I was playing through a Blues Deluxe and it didnt seem to get along with it very well. It was Very fizzy and couldn't get it to ever sound right. I ended up sending it right back. Good to know that it likes Marshalls though. Cheers!

7. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

You should get another Jet Driver, Jakedog.
    :twisted:
    I'm sorry, I couldn't resist. :lol:
    Thanks again for reminding me about the JD-9 the other day. It's back on my board. :cool:
    I'm glad you're digging the mojo of the Mojomojo.

8. Jakedog

If they'd had one at GC the day I needed an OD "right now", I'd have bought it. For sure. This is working out nicely though.

9. Jakedog

That's exactly how it sounded through the Fenders at the store. I could pull down the treble and tame most of the fizz, and get it "almost" there. I thought it would sound better with my Brit amps, and I was right. Smooth as satin panties!

10. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Tks for update..I was curious......TS makes good products..
    How much darker is it than the spark booster?

11. Jakedog

Do not know. Sorry. Never tried one.

I'll say though, it doesn't have to be dark at all. Plenty of top end on tap.

12. thecornman

thecornman Tele-Meister

Picked this one and the Dark Matter up a while ago, because of the low price they are going for! Killer pair of dirt pedals for about 100 together.

13. JReazor

JReazor Tele-Holic

Thanks for the tip Jakedog. I just ran out to the GC on my lunch break and came back with one.

14. RetroTeleRod

Isn't it odd that we musicians can go out to lunch with GAS and return to work without any, and for everyone else it works out the opposite way. :lol:

15. Catawompus

Catawompus Tele-Meister

I have one. I love it.

16. A.B.Negative

A.B.Negative Friend of Leo's

I didn't think I needed another OD but when I saw the MojoMojo was being sold so cheaply I couldn't resist. It's replaced the Mad Professor Little Green Wonder on my board.

17. mrboson

mrboson Tele-Afflicted

Well, as I wrote before I went ahead and ordered one, and it came in last week. I've just messed with it a bit at home. But I'm gonna break it out tonight in my weekly Wednesday night trio. We are typically bluesy sometimes country-ish sounding, and usually for these I leave the big pedal board at home and just play a Tele straight into a Blues Junior set to be either dirty or clean based on my guitar volume. Tonight I'll add the MojoMojo and see what sticks!

18. RetroTeleRod

Hope you enjoy it mrboson!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.