TAYLOR SWIFT - ARTIST OF THE DECADE

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by BeatlesAreMyJam, Nov 25, 2019.

1. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

When it comes to songwriting, I don't doubt for a minute that she comes in with at least the bones of a song, and that other writers, producers etc. have a hand in crafting the actual track we end up hearing. Hooks, production techniques/tricks/gimmicks, the sort of thing that makes pop songs stand apart from each other these days.

I also don't doubt for a minute that she comes in with very definite ideas on that front, as well.

chillybilly likes this.
  2. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Holic

Taylor Discussion Page RI

BorderRadio and BeatlesAreMyJam like this.
  3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Where every thread is eventually locked!

57fenderstrat and BorderRadio like this.
  4. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Meister

She's not my favorite artist by any means, but when I try and think about an artist who has been more popular/relevant and in the spotlight more than Taylor Swift over the last 10yrs, I can't really think of anyone else.

Sure other pop artists have had their moment in the spotlight, but as far as consistently being at the forefront, I think they got it correct.

And her popularity isn't waning either. Every album she releases is hugely popular, and I can't recall a time when she had an album released that was called a let-down or a miss.

These awards are absolutely meaningless to me, but I will say that I'm glad it didn't go to (fill in the latest one-hit-wonder hip-hop artist of the month).

JL_LI and 39martind18 like this.
  5. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Afflicted

Not my cup'o tea! A talent, to be certain, but "Artist of the DECADE?" Nah!

6. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

somewhere over a rainbow (Ex-L.A. resident)
    She appeals to a large section of the pop song buying public. She has a ton of female fans many of them teens or younger.
    She is also attractive to a lot of people and appears to be an entertainer rather than just a singer. Meaning she does choreography and dances. She doesn't just stand there and twitch (move to the groove).
    She appears to draw more fans to concerts, sell more songs and appear on TV music shows.

The end result is, she won.
    Why would anyone be surprised by that?

JL_LI and BeatlesAreMyJam like this.
  7. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Afflicted

Music's like a candy bar- much better without the (w)rapper!

8. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Ex- advertising professional here.

The simplest form of brainwashing is repetition. That's how "Top 40" radio used to work. Pound a tune into someone's head, it's gonna stick. That's just they way we're wired.

"The Music Biz" exploited that to their great financial advantage. Musicians possessing modest talent and a well oiled PR machine could go a long way. Lot of 'em filled stadiums, owned large jet aircraft... the whole Rock Star schtick.

Cue Taylor Swift...

I'm inclined to do my Kanye impersonation and hijack her moment. They tell me,

"You're part of the problem or part of the solution."

Way I figure it if there's no problem I'll cause one.

:D :D :D

Pink has everything Taylor has just more of it. Same could be said for Beyonce.

SPUDCASTER and Bendyha like this.
  9. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

She did really well. Nice to see that original pop music is still king over the super boring 12 bar bloozers regurgitating the same thing over and over.

Taylor Swift is more talented, more influential and more relevant than a lot of the “real musician” types that we hear so much about here.

For all the blaming of the music business if it’s so easy to write top ten hits I’m surprised that more forum types aren’t doing it.

Obsessed and Manual Slim like this.
  10. Cheap Trills

Cheap Trills Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

nothing against her, but there are artists who have dedicated everything of themselves toward their art. "art" has never been about mainstream, it's been about individualism, expression, innovating and pushing boundaries-- not messaging Kanye concerned about "overexposure". " Pop star of the decade", fine, but "Artist of the decade" is an joke to anyone who's truly pursued their art.

If you look at the times these award shows "got it wrong", apply the above logic and you'll see it holds-- the most memorable thing about taylor swift decades from now is not going to be how great an artist she was.

drlucky likes this.
  11. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

Overzealous marketing doesn’t at all negate the music of the past ten years.

12. BeatlesAreMyJam

BeatlesAreMyJam Tele-Afflicted

Agree 1000% but do not think TS benefits from repetition alone. Nor KANYE (whose new Gospel album is spose to be pretty great.)...

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  13. richbike

richbike Tele-Meister

Meh

14. Bendyha

Bendyha Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

upload_2019-11-26_0-13-58.png
    Evading something is not always easy, but if you are aware of it, then one can chose to ignore it as being irrelevant.
    I am aware of a popular fad known as K-pop, yet I profess to being totally ignorant of what it sounds like, or who the perpertraters are. I can not imagine that there is any "Cool" points to be achieved through my choice of not wishing to take the time to join the flocks of dedicated idolizers to mitigate my shortcommings of pop cultral knowledge..........Just so happens that TS (see, i've learnt a new cool moniker) falls into a parallel categorie for me.

Are Hipsters into TS?

BeatlesAreMyJam likes this.
  15. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Pop culture can be fun. I like fun. K-Pop, in particular, is a sugar high. What's to be gained? Nothing, but if I know someone is into K-Pop, too, I'll add some Korean words into the conversion -- "she's so aegyo!" (I also have this weakness for Asian chicks, but, shhh... no one on TDPRI knows.)

Hipsters are only into "things you've probably never heard of". They may also listen to something that's uncool, but they're doing it ironically.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    El Tele Lobo and Bendyha like this.
  16. BeatlesAreMyJam

BeatlesAreMyJam Tele-Afflicted

Ryan Adams for one. He made an entire record of her songs.

And, as far as KPOP, start with TWICE and BLACKPINK...

17. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I agree with her winning. Like her or not, her songwriting ability is outstanding and she never seems to rest or run out of good ideas. She changes things up and keeps a level of consistency that is beyond anyone else I can think of. Yes other artist might be more authentic or put more of themselves into their work but that does not make them better than her.

BeatlesAreMyJam likes this.
  18. scrimmer

scrimmer Tele-Afflicted

Hey, at least that didn't give it to THE FREAKIN' JONAS BROTHERS!

19. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

A few things, a lot of people have dedicated everything towards their “art” and it’s simply not that good even though they work hard at it. Also how do you know T Swift hasn’t?

Making money is art and working is art and good business is the best art. An artist is someone who produces things that people don't need to have but that he – for some reason – thinks it would be a good idea to give them. Why do people think artists are special? It's just another job.

20. DaveGo

DaveGo Tele-Meister

Not anymore outlandish than Neil and Devo I suppose. I rather think you are on to something.

rand z likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.