Taylor Big Baby TBB ?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Brett Fuzz, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Brett Fuzz

Brett Fuzz Tele-Holic

Ok,

So I'm still trying to find the right acoustic for around $700-$1000AUS

Looked at Maton, Yamaha FG720, Lag Tramontane.

Now I'm considering a Taylor Big Baby.

Anyone got one ? Thoughts ?

I'm just a home player so don't want or need anything really extravagant.

Just a nice tone with low action and playability.

Any info greatly appreciated.

2. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I've been looking for another acoustic for a couple of years and in a guitar store (a quiet one), I put the TBB down after playing it and my wife came from 40 feet away and commented that it had the best sound of all the ones I played ... ever of all my A/B testing (all in the same price range). There is something special about the projection of sound that makes it stand out. I'm personally put off by the bolt-on neck (especially the exposed screw heads on the fretboard), yet, it is the neck and fret board that I love about it.
    Anyway, FWIW, it is my standard for tone in my search right now.

Good luck and I'll be interested in what you end up with.

3. Brett Fuzz

Brett Fuzz Tele-Holic

Thanks Obsessed,

I think I'm going to pick one up. Just read through pages of reviews and seems 99% of players are more than happy with the Taylor BB.

I think the bolt on neck is a great idea, I have struggled with, (and had to junk) a few acoustics over the years as the action went way high with no way to fix it short of re-seating the neck. Major surgery !

I like what TBB players are saying about the neck being more like a electric ? Playability is important to me and I never could get really comfortable with those fat chunky necks on many acoustics I've played.

I'll head up to the guitar store & try one.

Thanks again for the info.

4. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

Great guitars, I have a 2003 model and it is awesome... The neck is really comfortable, I was worried about the screw on neck until I realized my Telecaster only had two more screws (a recent neck reset was a breeze, no different than setting up a Tele) The sound is really good too. There is a 2001 on CL for about $250 in my city.

The only negative thing I have to say about them is that they are so good it will cost you when you want to upgrade (I went with a Taylor 312).

Solid spruce top (Mines Englemann with lots of silking), Ebony fretboard and bridge...

5. Brett Fuzz

Brett Fuzz Tele-Holic

Thanks teleamp,

I think I'm on my way to becoming a Taylor fan.

I was thinking of the GS Mini too but a bit put off by the small scale & overall size.

The BB appears to be very close to a full size dreadnaught.

If this sounds and plays as good as all the reviews, I can see a larger Taylor in the works!

Finances permitting !

6. Tarnisher

Tarnisher Friend of Leo's

Tone is subjective, but anything with a solid top will likely sound better to you than those without.

As for low action and playability, those have less to do with the brand or model guitar than they do with the setup.

I used to go guitar shopping by picking something up and testing its playability. I turned down anything with buzzing or action that was too high for my taste.

Finally I learned that ANY guitar that doesn't have major defects (e.g.: completely worn down frets, shoddy workmanship, stripped truss rod, etc.) can be setup with low action, perfect intonation, and no buzzing by a talented tech or luthier.

So my advice is, buy the guitar that has the specs you want- the one that looks right, sounds right, and has the right size neck.

Don't worry if the action is high, or if it buzzes a bit. That's like rejecting a suit because it doesn't fit you perfectly off the rack and needs some alterations.

7. Brett Fuzz

Brett Fuzz Tele-Holic

Thanks Tarnisher,

I will take heed of that. I guess some are setup better than others out of the box.

The reports on the Taylor necks has all been good. As in more like an electric feel. Guess the nut width comes into play.

My biggest gripe with any new guitar, acoustic or electric is rough fret work, especially fret ends. Acoustics all seem to fair worse in the fret work department than most electrics I've tried. Hope the Taylors are better finished than most.

I'll go try all these guitars out later in the week. Heart set on the Big Baby Taylor at the mo. :)

8. TeleKineses

TeleKineses Tele-Meister

Get the GS Mini instead

9. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Afflicted

I have a 2005 TBB. I would not trade it for the GS Mini, although the GS Mini is a fine guitar. The TBB does have an excellent neck! It is a hair below a full size dread. It is a 15/16 size (4 inch depth approx.). When you re-string, that neck will rock forward and back freely. This freaked me out the first time I noticed it. Then when you re-string.....
    it "locks back down". No one has ever noticed that it has "screws on the fretboard" (but they sure as hell don't affect that slick neck and low action! I am an "at home player" too. It is a very nice guitar and you can spends lots more and get less. The padded case is 1st class, but someone makes an 000, maybe SKB? Yes, I think that's right, that fits it. Mine is starting to yellow a bit now and sounds very good. KY

p.s. I installed a K&K Twin Spot pickup under the bridge (had to bore out the end pin strap hole and had to buy a modeler eq. to match impedance to drive my amp to a reasonable level.

10. teleamp

If they made one in 24 7/8", or 25.5" scale lengths and did a better top brace construction design (see the guitarspa/sigapore youtube review of the BBT), I'd have one....

the Mini sounds OK, but the BBT has more detail to the sound.

11. Brett Fuzz

Brett Fuzz Tele-Holic

I am a bit torn between the GS Mini (Mahogany) & The BB.

The mahogany finish & neck/bracing on the GS Mini are winners but I can't get past the scale and size. I think it'd be awkward to play. Kinda like a large ukulele ?

I checked out a couple of GS Mini vs BB on youtube (I know, can't tell much from that) but I think the BB has the edge tone wise from what I heard.

I'll find out hopefully Friday when I can check them out in the store.

Does the BB come with the same gig bag as the Mini or are they different? Looks like the gig bag with the mini is more solid/padded?

And what is the fretwork like on both ?

12. teleamp

The fret work on my 2003 is great, I played a new model a couple of years ago and was floored, that is when I started the search for mine.

I also played a Mini that day and had the same feelings; scale length too small, body size was awkward, and while it did have more bass, the BBT had better overall tone.

here is a great review of the BBT...

13. Brett Fuzz

Brett Fuzz Tele-Holic

Thanks teleamp, (and all who replied with info).

Looks like the BB is coming home with me. :)

14. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

That guy from Singapore gave a great review...I love it when a reviewer provides accurate info, can play well, and has enthusiasm! I grabbed a 2011 BBT a few months back, got it off GC used with stock gigbag for $229, thing was mint too, good deals to be had there if you watch. Mine sounds a lot like his, nice woody loud tone. I added a bone saddle and fancy Tusq pins, helped the sound. The only downside is slightly weak bass (Taylors generally favor trebles IMO), as you can hear when he capos at 3rd fret, but not a biggie for me. Despite that, well worth the $. Great little guitars, good price and fun to play.

15. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Hey Brett Fuzz! Did you get the Taylor BB?

16. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I have a Big Baby and I have a GS Mini and for general playing and singing I very much prefer the Big Baby. The voice is deeper on the Big Baby and the Big Baby is louder. The Big Baby sits in your lap like a full sized dread or OOO (it balances better on your knee).

The GS Mini is like a Parlor Guitar in that it sounds very pretty but the volume and dynamic range are limited. The GS is a small and pretty guitar. I love Parlors.....I have a Larrivee and a Seagull and the GS. I wouldn't choose a Parlor an my one and only.

You will enjoy the Big Baby. Nice guitar.

17. simonc

simonc Friend of Leo's

If you can, give the maton S60 a play, really great guitars for the $. (Around 900, if I remember correctly). Plays every bit as nice as my cw80, low action, & really comfy neck. Much cheaper too, wish I'd known they were coming out 6 months ago.

18. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

TBB's are fabulous. I have a Taylor GS7, a Martin HD28....but I always pick up my girlfriends TBB. It is so easy to play, it really does have a neck feel much like an electric....it seems to have less string tension compared to a fullsize as well...amazing for leads with big bends

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.