Tax time

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Dreadnut, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Meister

I've always done our own taxes, I kind of enjoy it, which is weird because I don't like doing our finances, which my wife does.

I started filing electronically a few years back with a free tax form service. It worked pretty well, but still kinda cumbersome. Last year I went to free TurboTax, it worked pretty well and there was a lot less data entry because they imported all the forms from employers etc.

A few days ago I went back to TurboTax for my 2019 filing, and what a nightmare that turned out to be. Not only did they muck it all up, they kept trying to sell me upgrades on every other screen. Finally, I got on the phone with someone there and they told me they could connect me with a "tax expert" but I needed to pay for an upgrade in order to do so. I told them to just delete my account altogether.

On the rebound, I went over to HR Block free tax file. 30 minutes later, my taxes were correct, and they were filed.

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Yup, now that so many of us can just file short 'n' easy, the tax software companies (and tax preparers) are scrambling to maintain market share.

We purchase the TurboTax every year and my wife does whatever the limit in number of people for the software package each year (she was a tax preparer)...charges everybody $10...costs us $10.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    nojazzhere and rangercaster like this.
  3. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

I've used Turbotax since way back when it was a DOS app. I also used it when I had my own company for my business taxes. All for Fed and two States. I have to say it's been pretty good.

This year I'll use the Deluxe version again. I don't mind paying for it.

stormsedge likes this.
  4. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

mine is too complicated to even think about doing it myself. waiting to sell the business, retire and maybe do it myself..... again

5. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Holic

Got my slip Friday. Handed to my gal pal in the office. Monday I'm pre-filed, everything done, all in a folder on my desk. $8750ish back.
    Cost me ten Hershey bars! ;)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    jannodude and stormsedge like this.
  6. jannodude

jannodude Tele-Afflicted

Yeeesh! That’s a hefty refund. We’ve been paying a hefty amount every year for the past five years.. :(

GGardner likes this.
  7. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Spent most of the last 12 years self-employed and if it wasn't for my accountant, I would have jumped off a bridge years ago...just a pita.

As much as I hated to lose that business (and the money), this will be the first year that I can file a simple tax form again. With luck, might even get something back for a change.

nojazzhere and GGardner like this.
  8. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire

Working in Canada this year, so the employer will be handling my taxes on both sides of the border. We’re on an equalization program where I am supposed to pay the same tax burden as I do at home. Still skeptical and might pay my normal accountant to do a double check. He typically saves me more money than he costs.

9. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

self employed and had a killer year with not nearly enough deductions. probably won't be able to sit down for a week

Milspec, Dan German and Rustbucket like this.
  10. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

I'm dumping tax filing software this year. I've come to hate all those programs. I really despise their lobbying efforts to keep the IRS from making it easy for people to file online for free. I'm hoping the IRS has their filing service for regular folks working. I don't want to have to pay a subsidy to some corporate parasite just to make my tax filing easier.

Uncle Bob likes this.
  11. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

We usually file in mid February. We have a friend who retired from the IRS who usually does them.

12. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

I dumped Turbo Tax a few years ago when I noticed a HUGE error!

It was a glaring error glitch that there is NO WAY I approved or filed! But it was deep in a schedule and I did not notice till they brought it forward to the next year. Easily pointed out that it did not make sense and a program error; something that is A+B year to year. Ended up being ~10(A+B)!!!

I had to bring the return to a tax pro and it costs me $350 for him to untangle then file an amended return for the previous year to fix the error.

I called them about the 100% guarantee BUT since IRS didn't catch it they refused to stand behind the return and refund at least my Tubro Tax fees much less the penalty for late tax payment.

GGardner likes this.
  13. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Holic

I suppose my thanks and gratitude should be expressed.....;)

Ah, seriously... there were times when I was a younger, single man, and got weenie'd by Uncle Sam, having to pay $3400, $3700. They get ya bad when you're single and just makin' enough to make ends meet. Then you get old, worked hard your whole life... not quite ready to retire, have done a few cautiously wise things, and the tide changes. Hang in there!

jannodude likes this.
  14. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I’m fine with paying my taxes (we live in a society, damn it!), but I want it to be right. I have enough aggravation in my life, so I pay someone to do it for me. Not that mine are complicated, but I just don’t need another skill set in my life. I think of it the way I do plumbing....

nojazzhere and Milspec like this.
  15. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sure had few like that as well....walked out of the accountant's office in shock before I starting doing my taxes quarterly to avoid that. The bright side is always that you had a killer year....congrats on that.

16. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

Word to the wise, if you have many coals in the fire and don’t have extensive experience with the law, common loopholes, and new changes, you are missing out.

The software is only as good as the input. You can go around the CPA firm pros, if you want. I’ve proved this with friends tax forms much more than half the time, you can enjoy a larger refund.

SacDAve and nojazzhere like this.
  17. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've done my own taxes with HR Block software for years. When I got married in April 2018 we decided (she demanded... Haha) to use her accountant since the fact that she owns her own business and is the only employee could make it tough for us to do it right ourselves. I've got to admit, it was nice dropping off some paperwork and having him take care of us. While the software was generally easy to use, my understanding of the rules terminology is bad enough that I was always worried about making a mistake.

18. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Holic

done mine and being single i dont see how anyone got a refund .if you get mega bucks back all you did was the loan the govt your money for free dumb azz.. i havent got a dime back since the new tax took effect killing my itemized deductions. got a bonus last year and got to pay 7395.00 this year so bite me you IRS rat basturds..

stop the govt lies

19. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I used to do my own, online, until I had the same experience with Turbo Tax.....kept demanding upgrades, etc. Finally discovered a free AARP service at our local Rec Centers and Libraries. That's "free" as in FREE.
    Certified tax preparers, plus a specialized (retired) CPA who checks everything before it goes out. Plus, you don't have to belong to AARP to use it.....it's just a community service.

Wyzsard likes this.
  20. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Ours are so complicated we don't even try and my wife works with numbers all day. Last year paid through the nose this year should a decent return hopefully.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.