Tattoo idea…

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LGOberean, May 27, 2020.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I wasn't going to use this video, since it was just a goofing around/one take kind of deal, and I wasn't the real star of the video anyway. Our dog Bella was being cute and my wife wanted to capture it on video. My playing in the background was just incidental to the proposition. But since @TheGoodTexan and @stxrus both expressed a desire to hear the guitar, this is the only video of it thus far.

We were camping in our trailer at Table Rock State Park in South Carolina. It was a week ago today, evening and starting to rain. Bella was being so darn cute, and I just happened to be in the background playing “Blue Moon” on my 1953 Harmony H954 Broadway archtop guitar. The strings on the guitar are D'Addario mediums, I think the EJ12 set.

Toto'sDad, Chip, Mike Eskimo and 2 others like this.
  2. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

Dude, you are my new hero. A wonderful rendition and wonderful sounding guitar and singing. Bravo my friend and thank you
    Not to be diminished but Bella is also my new hero
    Thank you

3. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

I’ve never really played an arch top f-hole but dang I think that guitar sounds cool, I’m not sure if you mentioned, hows the action on it?

It’s okay Larry I bore my dog when I play too ;)

Edit: woe! The video links to more videos at the end, and you’ve got a YouTube channel! Who would have thought

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  4. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

I hadn’t heard him sing yet but Larry’s always been a legend to me, he jut oozes cool mystique

5. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Brother Larry... man, that is just terrific! The midrange punch of that guitar comes through even in the cell phone video. And a perfect selection of music to showcase the guitar too. But you’re right, the hound is the star of the show. Did I hear some heavy rain kick in there at the end?

6. LGOberean

Wow! Thanks, y'all!

@stxrus very kind of you. And yeah, whenever Bella is around, she almost always steals the show. She shows up in other videos on my channel.

@Fretting out I haven't measured it, but the action is not bad; it's playable all up and down the neck. The strings are a bit stiff, but they're not new, and they're 13s. I'm going to change them soon to 12s.

And yeah, "woe" is right; I've got a YT channel. Be afraid. Be very afraid. :twisted: It's not much, but it gives me a way to save some things.

And Bruce, thanks, brother, for your kind words. And yeah, that "midrange punch." Exactly. I'm just loving this guitar. Once I picked it up on our trip, it was all I played for the rest of our travels. And I've only played one other guitar since being home, in preparation for a gig Saturday night. And you were right; you can hear the rain at the end of the video.

7. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Where on the guitar is the code stamped?

LGOberean likes this.
  8. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Larry - that thing sounds exactly like it’s supposed to in your hands - great !

nice clip

there are thousands and thousands of those Chicago-made acoustic archtops out there. The key is to grab one that might just need minimal dialing in. (There are soooo many of them , it pays to just wait and find a good one like Larry’s)

one of those paired with a flat top or two in a string band is a great sound.

I think Skaggs had a guy in Kentucky Thunder that played an archtop at one time.

LGOberean likes this.
  9. LGOberean

Harmony stamped serial #, model # and date on the inside of the back of the guitar. They did this on flattops with round soundholes and on their archtops with f-holes. In the case of the latter, looking through the f-holes will allow you to see those numbers.

Many times the stamped info is quite faded, which isn't surprising, given their age. Harmony went out of business in the mid '70s, so even the latest models to come from their factory are around 50 years old. And of course, with one like mine, it's 67 years old.

In the case of my old Broadway, the serial/model numbers are visible through the f-hole on the bass side of the lower bout. They both appear as one long #, but the first 4-5 digits are the serial #, followed by the model #, beginning with an H (for Harmony, no doubt) then followed by 3-4 more digits. Here is that view of mine...

[​IMG]

Then, on the treble side of the lower bout, looking through that f-hole reveals the date stamp, in the case of mine, "F-53."

[​IMG]

Stringbanger likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.