Tattoo idea…

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LGOberean, May 27, 2020.

1. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I don't know anything about tats, but @LGOberean - I love that guitar. I would love to hear some audio of it, particularly if you play any slide or fingerpicked blues licks.

LGOberean likes this.
  2. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire

Interesting. Everyone has different pain threshold and tolerances. Body placement and duration are major factors as well. I’ve gone many hours under the needle. I consider them tolerable, but I would never claim they were painless.

3. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Speaking of the old days, tattoos used to be about outlaws and rock ‘n’ roll and the Marine Corps or the Navy or some motorcycle club or some sort of 1%er.

Now they remind me of all the Dryvit strip malls that have the tattoo joint and the smoke shop as the only tenants . (the Dress Barn, right next door, went outta business years ago).

Sawed-off dudes in both stores too - why are they all 5’6” or 5’8” ?

That’s my painting with a broad brush for today ! :lol:

Toto'sDad and hemingway like this.
  4. christophervolu

christophervolu TDPRI Member

6’5 here.

Why are old guys on guitar forums generally terrible at playing guitar?

kodiakblair and 8trackmind like this.
  5. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I think pain thresholds are kinda like opinions: everybody's got a different one. I don't think I have a particularly low pain threshold. A few years back I broke the pinky toe on my right foot, badly enough that now it looks like a minuscule italicized letter s. I didn't do anything about it (taping it to the other toe, splinting, whatever). Decades ago in Papua New Guinea I had root canal work done by an Aussie dentist who didn't use anesthesia. Wasn't fun, but I got through it. After coming out of the hospital after quadruple bypass surgery, I never even bothered to fill the prescription for pain meds.

The thing is, I really don't care enough about tattoos to even find out how painful it is or isn't. So my oft-repeated quip about tattoos and pain and self-inflicting is really just a small attempt at humor. (Evidently an almost imperceptibly small attempt.)

And I get that it's a preference thing, and to a degree a cultural thing. I mentioned earlier that my kids have tats and piercings. It's not like they have so many extraneous holes in their heads that they look like whiffle balls, or so many face tats they look like Maori warriors. My oldest daughter has none, save for piercings for earrings (just the lobes, not the cartilage). My son and youngest daughter, OTOH, each have a tat on their shoulder blades, and one or two on their arms (last I knew).

The younger two were influenced favorably towards tats because of our living in Papua New Guinea back in the '80s. We came home to Texas right around the time when in PNG culture they would have been the age for tats/scarification in connection with rites of passage and tribal identification. So their interest was neither faddish nor rebellious, but rather came from a cultural influence they held in high regard. They're in their mid 40s now, with growing and grown children of their own.

So, as I would have said in PNG, "Em i samting bilong ol; em i laik bilong ol. Tasol, em i no inap long mi."

Rustbucket likes this.
  6. LGOberean

Hey, Bruce, I do plan on getting my wife's help in shooting some videos of me playing the Broadway.

Funny thing, though, I never think of slide. Not just for use on this guitar, but in general. I just hardly ever play slide. I bought one of those slides shaped like a Coricidin pill bottle, a Jim Dunlop I believe, but never liked the feel of it. I bought another Jim Dunlop glass slide, a 215, I think. I like that one better, but still just don't use it much. In fact, it's probably been a year since I last used it; I don't even know where it is at the moment. But I should make the effort and try it on this archtop.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  7. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Sweet guitar! Congratulations.

LGOberean likes this.
  8. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

Gosh, it's lucky I had mine done over 40 years ago. I'd hate to be branded a hipster.

9. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

EBBB879E-E5EC-4B0D-AAEB-8A30D9FB1052.gif
    C’mon man, you made it this far! Enjoy the belly box, and let it go at that.

I love my Harmony, and it’s a cheapy.

B82AE833-027C-44AD-AE04-C586327E81D8.jpeg

Toto'sDad likes this.
  10. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Tele-Afflicted

I am gonna bet not many really get the "dryvit strip mall" reference.

I love it. Gonna steal that one. :cool:

Chip and superjam144 like this.
  11. tdoty

tdoty Tele-Meister

I disagree. See below.

If I ever get a divorce, it's going to involve tattoo removal.

At 49 years old, I finally got to marry the love of my life! In my line of work, rings are off-limits, so, at 49, I got my first tat..............a simple black band on my left ring finger. I don't plan to get another. Wife nor tattoo.

Rustbucket, LGOberean and P Thought like this.
  12. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Carnies. Let's not forget the carnies

13. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

yep i didnt take in account pain thresholds for different people

14. Brad Pittiful

i used to say...all my tattoos were done using invisible ink...until i got a seeable tattoo

P Thought likes this.
  15. Brad Pittiful

the pain is temporary...if there is any...and there isnt any scarring...until you get it removed and thats minimal now a days

16. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Holic

download.jpeg

Just got done with a Target, the dryvit dudes made her look pretty... Unless you hate dryvit... I guess it works!

17. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

Beautiful guitar. I too was like to hear some recordings of it

LGOberean likes this.
  18. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

Get a nice design done and then get a non permanent tattoo in henna. Then decide if you want to make it a forever deal.

19. LGOberean

Good on ya. I know someone else who has his "wedding band" tattooed on his left ring finger. The best of reasons to have one.

There are good reasons. Earlier I mentioned my two children that have tats. My son has a tat on his back commemorating the all to brief life of a lost child. My daughter's tats (two that I know of) are both artistic expressions of her faith. While I have no desire to ink my faith into the tissues of my body, I admire my kids for doing so.

20. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Harmony guitars are indeed cool...and you got a cool one for sure. I have a Harmony Tenor Guitar...but never looked at the date code. I guess I'll have to dig it out!

LGOberean likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.