1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Target weight for body

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Winky, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Winky

Winky TDPRI Member

I'm going to try to make a body out of some scraps I have laying about. Basically, plane, epoxy and dowel them to make up a blank, then shape from there. The patchwork look will be a "feature" in terms of aesthetics. I think it will come out quite heavy, but am prepared to rout out a lot of material from the back as required to make it manageable. What's a decent target weight for a body with everything ready for finishing? The neck, I'll likely buy, and assume mid-weight, so I'm looking for a weight that will ultimately balance OK. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Just looked at the Warmoth stock Tele bodies, and it looks like 4lb to 5lb is a decent weight. That'll do. Thanks anyway.

2. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I’m trying to get back down to 175-180...I’ve crept up to 190 in the last couple of years and it doesn’t really make me happy...I felt better 10-15 pounds ago.

EDIT:
    I misread the point of this thread...you’re asking about the weight of a *guitar* body...my apologies.

3. PingGuo

PingGuo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Anything from 3-5 is normal

Winky likes this.
  4. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

4 lb. seems to be the target weight most like on a tele.

telemnemonics, John Owen and Winky like this.
  5. wadeeinkauf

wadeeinkauf Tele-Afflicted

My target weight is at or under 4.3 lbs. That gives me a total weight of 7.5lbs or under with the hardware I use.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    Winky and crazydave911 like this.
  6. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

The Alder Tele body I got from Warmoth was 4.4 lbs.

Winky and crazydave911 like this.
  7. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

I'm benching about 280, 285...

Fiesta Red and Winky like this.
  8. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Friend of Leo's

What kind of wood are you using? Guitar bodies I'm accustomed to don't need to be doweled or anything like that. Just plane and glue. That's what the big guys do, so that's good enough for me.

crazydave911 likes this.
  9. Winky

Winky TDPRI Member

I'm actually just using plywood, cut into strips and stacked on edge. I'm going to try to see if I can get the exposed plywood edges looking interesting as a top. The doweling is mainly to ensure the plywood laminates don't separate internally. I'm confident enough in the joints I will be gluing. I'm giving a lot of thought to the relative moisture before gluing as shrinkage of the plywood would tend split the body because the dowel won't necessarily shrink at the same rate. I think I want the plywood to be very dry before gluing. But it's basically just a low cost experiment.

Steve Holt likes this.
  10. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

As others have said, I’d try for 4 lbs even. A little more or a little less won’t hurt, but I think 4 lbs is Goldilocks — just right.

Fiesta Red, John Owen and Winky like this.
  11. Winky

Winky TDPRI Member

Thanks.

12. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

I don't have a target weight, I just try to do a reasonable chambering and see how it comes out. My personal tele clone, chambered mahogany body with a maple cap, mahogany neck, normal hardware, weights 5-3/4 pounds total. Most people who play it comment about the weight (or lack of). Contrast that with my unchambered les paul clone which weights a bit over 9 pounds total.

13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

If you want to choose a target weight then we need info on the application.

Is the weight supposed to sell online?
    Or are you a player who became concerned about weight as you aged and started finding heavy guitars a pain to play?
    For me I aim for more like 3 1/2lbs in a Tele body and if it weighs 4lbs it's too heavy to bother assembling into a guitar.

On the internet 4lbs is ordinary and/ or a little below average, that weight will not boost sales.
    Plenty of players will pick up a Tele with a 4lb body and love it, but not get excited by a 4lb body listing.
    Basically a lot of Fender Teles have more like a 5lb body, so 4lbs is nice and light among whole guitars.
    But when comparing body weights in the aftermarket parts gear chat, 4lbs is considered ordinary.

Funny that 4lbs is considered an average normal weight as parts, when it's extra light compared to the bulk of the Tele market, but too heavy compared to the players who really need a lighter Tele body.

So application is key.

14. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

There is another part to all of this - weight, as in mass, and chambering, as in the air volume inside the guitar, can both have an affect on the voice of the instrument. I have a good example of that in two les pauls that I built - they are identical materials and have identically the same pickups and electronics but one is chambered and one is not. The chambered one is a pound and a half heavier than the the hollowed one. They have a (slightly) different sound - maybe not that you would notice just playing one but side by side you can hear a difference. Mass matters....

15. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

Isn't most plywood awfully heavy by volume compared to most other woods? The glue is heavy stuff. Multipiiecing and doweling will add additional (and "non-musical") weight. Sounds like a fun project that might yield interesting visual results, though from a weight standpoint there's a major and fundamental built-in disadvantage of this approach. The nature of the build is more similar to the 70's massive sustain-based constructions like pancake Norlins and Alembics than anything intended to be intentionally light.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.