1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tapped Bridge Pickup Users: A Question (Esquire content)

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by El Tele Lobo, Mar 2, 2021.

1. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

Has anyone here used a double-tapped (or even single-tapped) bridge pickup like a Cavalier Hydra (or Twin) in an Esquire? Just curious if you had any trouble fitting all those wires through the bridge cavity wire holes without widening the opening?

I'd really like to do a Hydra Lion (Humongous, Fat and Bakersfield) in my forthcoming Esquire build, but don't want to do all the finishing work (and buy the pickup) only to find it doesn't all fit through there.

I'm also considering doing a Twin Lion (Humongous/Bakersfield) wired to a push-pull volume pot with no switch.

What say ye, o wise of the TDPRI?

2. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

I have a Bakersfield/Fat. It was a little work to get the wires through, especially since (as I recall; small chance I'm misremembering) there was a mix of stiffer waxy wires and more flexible vinyl-covered ones. Braiding the wires helped; you can always undo the braid once you get it through so that the different wires have room to go where they need to go.

For what it's worth, this was on an '80's Korean Squier, where experience has told me that if a hole isn't the "right" size, it's going to be smaller.

I suppose you can also introduce a string or something through the other end, tie that to the wire bundle and pull it through.

Boreas likes this.
  3. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sometimes shrink-tubing them together will help with fishing them through.

SixStringSlinger likes this.
  4. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

12" aircraft drill.

Irwin brand.

1/4" or 5/16" diameter.

Available at any big-box store like Homeless Despot or Lowe's.

[​IMG]

5. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

I have a Cav Hydra 6k/Fat/Huge. I didn't have any trouble with the wires. They were more modern as opposed to the cloth push back vintage type. Sounds great in my cheapie Esquire build.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.