Tape Echo

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by fescue, Nov 14, 2015.

1. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yeah, Mike at Fulltone is a very off-putting guy, in my experience. Doesn't affect the gear, but it's annoying.

I have a DD-3, and a Wampler FTE, which is in the same vein as a Belle Epoch. If you're going for a vintage slap, don't expect the DD-2 to sound very good in comparison. My DD-3 has it's place (limited, for my taste), but not for this. In my opinion. Good luck finding what you want.

2. JTM45blues

JTM45blues Tele-Afflicted

My take as a gigging musician and REAL tape echo owner

So I LOVE tape echo, especially from the old Maestro EP-3 units. I own one of these and a Fulltone TTE, they do NOT sound the same. The EP-3 sounds organic, warm and rich nd melds with your tone, while also enhancing your tone via the preamp. The TTE, while a great sounding unit is brighter and the preamp is not even close to the famous EP-3. TTE is also pretty noisy.

Now for gigs, I never bring the EP-3 anymore, its too fragile, I've learned the hard way. The TTE is bullet proof and operates perfectly basically all the time. I use it sparingly for gigs. For live gigs, I've been really happy with the Aqua Puss for slap back (rockabilly) and the DM-2w for country slap. I've use the Belle Epoch and Carbon Copy neither sounded very much like my EP-3. I was also a fan of the old Dan Echo, pretty cool unit.

My advice would be this: if you really want tape echo, save your pennies and buy the real thing. You'll always wonder if you never take the plunge.

3. fescue

fescue TDPRI Member

For the record, my Belle Epoch arrived last week. It's all cool.

4. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

Well I've had the chance to try the Fulltone TTE alongside my Akai Headrush and yes there was a difference in tone - the TTE sounding much more organic. But its now $2700NZ as opposed to $300NZ fir the Akai and to my ears there wasn't over $2000 difference.

So I think I'll stick with what I've got or maybe try some of the other similar pedals to see if they're any better - at least they'll be cheaper than the TTE and not as demanding in terms of being more fragile, etc.

5. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

:lol:

This sets you up nicely.

Guy walks into a guitar store and says "I need a delay pedal, and I've only got $2300 to spend. What do you recommend?"

"Well, sir, I find that this here pedal does a fine job," pulls out a $300 Akai Headrush, "but it sounds best with a guitar like THIS..."

:D

6. peterpug

peterpug NEW MEMBER!

Whay did you post this!!!?? I JUST bought a Belle Epoch and now want this too...sigh.

7. Itwang

Itwang Tele-Meister

So I recently acquired a keenly Memphis Sun. Played 3 gigs with it and it's pretty damn good if you're using it for short Echo sounds. Pretty tweakable and all 3 modes are different. I just don't wanna deal with finicky vintage mechanical units anymore. To me, the best bang for buck tape echo machine is the Belle Epoch. It just ain't that expensive and it is infinitely knob tweakable...........

8. James R

James R TDPRI Member

I admit I have been sleeping this past thirty years or so and I have no idea what all of these latest gismos do but the Watkins Copy Cat IV I bought in the early '70s still works fine for me. I admit that I have a Boss DM2 Delay on my board that I use occasionally but it is nothing compared to the Watkins. Old Fart?, yes.
    Happy new year everyone.

9. SirJackdeFuzz

SirJackdeFuzz Friend of Leo's

HAPPY NEW YEAR to you too James ;)

Does not matter that you've been asleep for three decades.

It is dead easy to bring you up too speed.

imho, you only need to know three things.

1.) the Fulltone TTE is the King of the Hill these days.

2.) the Boss RE-20 is extremely underrated.

3.) the *Strymon delays, are pretty bloody mind blowing, for what the are.

....................................... o0o ........................................

http://www.fulltone.com/products/tube-tape-echo

http://www.bossus.com/products/re-20/

http://www.strymon.net/

* El Capistan / Brigadier / Deco

10. James R

James R TDPRI Member

Thanks for the update SirJack.
    If I was still making money with my gear I might consider updating. These new gizmos are a bunch of change. Will have to stick with what I have and hope that no one notices when I pick up the guitar. Will have to do a cap job on the Watkins, she's getting a bit noisy after all these years.

11. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Alter Ego V2 running here after buying and selling a bunch. Killer tone and very little noise unlike many others.

12. Chriss945

Chriss945 Tele-Holic

Another +1 for the Strymon El Cap. Best pedal I've ever bought.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.