tame impala pedal board

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by spinal, Sep 30, 2009.

1. spinal

spinal TDPRI Member

hi guys and girls.

listening to tame impala and really love the retro saturated psychedelic sound. here is a picture of kevin parker with his pedal rig playing laneway's festival recently. obviously there's a fuzz face down there - but i'm crap at recognising pedals.. can anyone identify what else he's playing through? I'd be interested in any comments on how this sound is achieved.. i was at a tame impala concert recently and they were playing through vox (bass player had an orange amp) with a fairly complicated pedal configuration that i couldn't work out just looking at it upside down in the dark.. anyway.. good luck to them they're a great aussie band.

2. hannigan

hannigan Friend of Leo's

I think I see a eh small stone next to the fuzz.

3. spinal

spinal TDPRI Member

i realise that probably no-one is really interested in this apart from me ha ha :)

found a higher resolution image here btw -- and courtesy the boudist gallery a great site!

i do believe it is a small stone thanks hannigan! and what's that blue boss pedal with the yellow writing? it's not a compressor is it? i'd really like to know what that little red pedal is.. never mind just thinking out loud..

:) cheers people

4. Carzee

Carzee Tele-Afflicted

(Boudist is oversold imo)

Tame Impala. Love it, but they came to the ANU Bar the other week when I had a night shift on... suxed bt.

I see a Dallas fuzz in the pic and a small stone. I have a Sunface and I knew that the TP weren't using one from the sound. I have a red dot 275.

Anyway, last month I did get to see the Fumes at the ANU and scored some righteous photos... AND btw, if you like Tame Impala (despite some vocal probs I heard) you would really be into Regular John like me. Look em up on myspace. They have a song "The Lonely Sky" which has been in my head all day. Strat city. This Sunday night at the ANU, they are support (!) for Khiss Chasey whatever. $22. The Regulars go off and I wouldn't want to be the band following them up. And they are originally from Griffith... get their album -fully killer no filler as they say. I have had it in the car 20 min commutes every day lately so I'm brainwashed maybe.

5. Carzee

Carzee Tele-Afflicted

And the blue boss is most probably the "Blues Driver" pedal, maybe with mods. I also see a GE-7.

6. spinal

spinal TDPRI Member

i saw them at ANU - it was a great gig that night. How were Regular John? I can see how Tame Impala might run into vocal issues as kevin's voice does have a sort of buzzy sound which probably isn't that flexible although it works with the music they're creating right now imho maybe need to beware getting painted into a vocal corner so to speak.

anyway to wrap up this thread for future readers who might be interested here is an attempt at tame impala's kevin parker pedal line up based on the pic above:

EH Small Stone -> Dunlop Fuzz Face -> Line 6 Verbzilla (?) -> Boss Blues Driver -> Boss Digital Delay? (or maybe noise gate?) -> MXR Compressor (?) -> Boss GE-7 Equalizer

nothing too scary in there.. thanks for the replies everyone

7. BugMeNotdotCom

BugMeNotdotCom TDPRI Member

i saw them live a few days ago. Parker seems to have some sort of moog moogfooger.

8. telejester

telejester TDPRI Member

You lucky Australians...

Thanks for posting this! I love the new record and was wondering what he used.

9. voodoo_idol

voodoo_idol Friend of Leo's

Can't help you with the pedals, but I've been enjoying Innerspeaker for a while now. Like their sound.

10. audiohatemchine

audiohatemchine Tele-Holic

I don't get it. Where's the big muff?

11. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Looks like Small Stone, Fuzz Face, some kind of Line6 tonecore pedal, blues driver, GE7, Dyna Comp, and a boss tuner in the first photo. Looking at thenext one now...

12. Jakedog

Don't know about the lower left (in the upside down photo) corner, those two have me stumped.

But I see two blues drivers, or possibly a blues driver and CS2, but I doubt it, probably two blues drivers... I also see the Dyna Comp, a full sized AND a nano Holy Grail Reverb, a dunlop wah, some kind of Moog pedal,
    Boss tuner, Fuzzface again, Small Stone again, MXR Carbon Copy analog delay, some kind of Roland footswitch, possibly for an amp or to tap tempo for something else, Ernie Ball volume pedal, and the boss dual pedal on the end, not sure what that is...

13. telejester

telejester TDPRI Member

The yellow one is a Zvex Seek Trem. I wonder what the blue one next to the Zvex is.

14. chillman

chillman Tele-Afflicted

Tame Impala is one of the only new bands I've been excited about for the past couple years. This is cool info on their pedals but based on their tones, doesn't exactly surprise me either! haha

15. Twangasaurus

Twangasaurus Tele-Afflicted

A good friend of mine from university dated Dom (the bassist) for a year or two. Remember going to their really early shows and seeing him using a guitar amp for his bass, funny stuff.

16. audiohatemchine

audiohatemchine Tele-Holic

wat

Is that actually possible? I thought running a bass through a guitar amp just blew it up?

My mind is blown.

17. Jakedog

Actually, won't hrut the amp at all. In many instances, there isn't a lot of difference between bass amp and guitar amp circuitry, and it's just a signal going through components. Nothing to do damage, or be dmaged really.

Where you run into problems is with speakers. Most guitar speakers are not engineered to handle the cone movement that those low frequencies cause. So you can blow speakers pretty easily. Especially in an open backed cab, which allows for much more cone travel.

18. Park08

Park08 NEW MEMBER!

I have a novice question for all of you. I'm new to guitar effects. What guitar effect is used in dominic's lead in the song, "why wont you make up your mind?" Thanks for the help!

19. Rocknroll

Rocknroll NEW MEMBER!

Hey mate, what I think is from Kev’s left to right:

Boss noise suppresser NS-2 (White his left)
    MXR Compressor (small red)
    Could be a Boss GE-7 (Greyish)
    Boss Blues Driver BD-2 (Blue under foot) or maybe a compression sustainer but I think I can just make out a bit of yellow writing.
    Line-6 Verbzilla (grey and slightly odd shape to Boss peds)
    Dallas Fuzz Face is pretty obvious (round and red)
    Maybe a small stone but it’s a bit blurred, could be a Behringer Vintage Distortion.
    Cord is a Vox hippy cord, don’t know the real name but I call ‘em that.

Love this band, new album is featuring on Triple J this week, haven’t really heard any outstanders yet barring the first taste “Elephant” but that was the same with Inner Speaker I guess and that is in my top five albums now. I don’t want to criticise them too much without having the whole album to play through but I have noticed a serious lack of guitar and more of an emphasis on the synth/keys. Maybe a bit too much MGMT influence with the producer? I think it sounds good but I was really hoping for more of the psych guitar vibe to flow from it.. I need this album now.

Cheers,

Tristan

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.