Talking to People with a Slang Fetish?

Tonetele

Doctor of Teleocity
Eh.
As janky as that ladder use/positioning appears, it actually works fine.
Don't recommend it for the faint of heart, but it works.

Or shall I say I have "seen" worse.

We use slang to mark our tribe. Every cohort has its own slang. A computer geek, an Indy 500 pit crew member, a hip-hop producer, a skateboard pro, a Maine lobster boat captain, a Philly tattoo artist, and an Iowa farmer all talk (and dress and eat and drink) differently. They enjoy different music and watch different movies.

Those choices are all tribal markers. Your friend is using language to tell people who he is. We all do it. It's part of how we define our community.
True whatCharlie says but i don't understand MarkieMark AT ALL. You woooden survive down ear mate!

Kandinskyesque

Friend of Leo's
"groups such as the Go-Go's, the Bangles, and the Runaways cited Fanny as a key influence" -wikipedia
Most guys that I know, who took up playing an instrument and joined a band would cite Fanny as a key influence.
Especially the ones who took it up in their teens.

The influence of Fanny used to worry my wife when we were courting, and I was out playing in bands.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Slang is nowhere NEARLY as tiresome as BUSINESS BUZZWORD JARGON.
To wit, this paragraph from a LinkedIn page wherein this person describes her abilities:

I'm a brand storyteller, forging valuable relationships with consumers through integrated marketing strategies. From leading website overhauls with sustainable SEO blueprints, to identifying the optimal marketing mix to achieve business objectives, I have a 15-year track record of successful, data-driven decision making. I develop strategies that answer the question – “what does success look like for our business?” Campaigns come together seamlessly and without ever taking my eye of the goal. Often nicknamed the “brand champion”, I bring enthusiasm and energy that keep teams engaged.

Guessing NOBODY "nicknamed" her "brand champion." What a contrived crock.

Wound_Up

Tele-Afflicted
I have a guitar picker friend from Louisiana who is infatuated with slang and I'm constantly questioning him and myself of what he's going on about. I'm overloaded with self doubt during our phone conversations and text messages.

I wouldn't say its a full blown existentialist crisis, but I have contemplated the philosophical purpose of conversation.

How do people develop fluency in slang?

Why even talk at all?

Why? Because slang is just like any language. Just because you don't speak it doesn't mean it shouldn't exist.

Oh but you speak Spanish/French/etc...? Why even talk at all?

It's the exact same principle.

Being from Louisiana myself, I doubt I'd have any problem understanding them unless they're from deep South Louisiana. That's a whole nother thing lol

Lou Tencodpees

Tele-Afflicted
Spending a great amount of time over many years in northern Ontario I noticed the call of the White Throated Sparrow change somewhat, adding fancy triplets and such. It made me wonder if these new generations were whistling in slang.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
Spending a great amount of time over many years in northern Ontario I noticed the call of the White Throated Sparrow change somewhat, adding fancy triplets and such. It made me wonder if these new generations were whistling in slang.
They were, sort of.

ndcaster

Doctor of Teleocity
oh really did you go to harvard to learn that, that sound from a law journal, very posh , like something from a graduate course in communications, very precise , very tidy .
I'm going to remember that one.

hahvahd? hahahaha

no

I like slang, it's creative, but a lot of the world (medicine, engineering, economics, etc.) is built most effectively on the basis of clear, plain English

so it's good to run both at the same time

no cap

SuprHtr

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
The saddest thing is when someone adopts a slang that is not from their own cultural background to project a new, different image for themselves.

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
Why do people say "It's all good," when none of it is? :oops:
in some circles it's a way of saying "we coo". Indicating that, "you have no reason to fear me" in a personal context It's all good is not a comment on the general state of things, It is a statement about the state of our relationship.
on the other hand were I live: F8^k You is a declaration of interpersonal war. At which point you better hope that you're carrying a firearm, or packing heat , or strapped.

It's all good has less meaning than wow, as it is casually used, indicating nothing of meaning a meaningless pause in perhaps a superficial conversation about nothing of any real importance. Can you dig it ? meaning do you understand what I'm saying.

This is just my understanding of the language spoken 'round here. how ever

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
I live in North Central Texas (Fort Worth area)…it’s one of the few remaining metropolitan areas in the state that still has a True Texas accent, with the archaic slang attached…being old enough to have been raised with these speech patterns (I’m 52) but young enough to speak and understand “New Texan” is both a blessing and a curse.

I sometimes forget this when I talk to friends from other parts of the country (or other countries), and I have to put on my “Professional” voice to speak to them, otherwise our conversations can devolve into something a bit less comprehensible.

Oh well…they sound funny to me, too.

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
hahvahd? hahahaha

no

I like slang, it's creative, but a lot of the world (medicine, engineering, economics, etc.) is built most effectively on the basis of clear, plain English

so it's good to run both at the same time

no cap
Yes that is a part of the world of business and finance.
There are other worlds the worlds of practitioners of different means of exchange,and communication , the language of pearl divers in Japan is not the language of plain english used by (medicine, engineering, economics, etc.) .
perhaps there are worlds were people use the expression "hum fadi", delegates said that Condalisa Rice was not invited because she would only speak hum fadi. In this particular culture hum fadi means empty talk, in a culture were calling someone a liar to their face or behind their back is considered a very serious breach of honor of ones own honor and the other person being spoken of. A complete loss of face for the person saying it. So to explain that someone only will speak in lies, this breach is avoided by saying hum fadi, meaning "Empty Talk" She only speaks hum fadi. Hum Fadi can mean many different things. It's like saying "Far out ?"
ecd20a4d20f083e32df1e831da65b353.jpg

Doctor of Teleocity
It can be useful to be able to communicate in such a way that your intended audience understands you clearly while others do not.

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
I live in North Central Texas (Fort Worth area)…it’s one of the few remaining metropolitan areas in the state that still has a True Texas accent, with the archaic slang attached…being old enough to have been raised with these speech patterns (I’m 52) but young enough to speak and understand “New Texan” is both a blessing and a curse.

I sometimes forget this when I talk to friends from other parts of the country (or other countries), and I have to put on my “Professional” voice to speak to them, otherwise our conversations can devolve into something a bit less comprehensible.

Oh well…they sound funny to me, too.
I say , hold on to that True Texas accent, please, that stuff I believe ads to our depth and character.

Your old enough to remember Y2K the internet was going to die and everything was supposed to end , yeah?? Molly Ivins a great Texas Wit, wipe smart and that wrote well enough for the nnnew York times and several other publication that still appreciated intelligence and integrity in the quality of the thing printed in there News Papers and Magazines , any way Molly Ivins once wrote that if Y2K happened people in west Texas , wouldn't know that it happened or be affected by the communications disaster.
I must ask do you think that's true or a regional dig from someone living mostly in Austin?
You know a sly sort of humor that she was famous for.😉
If you get a chance try her books .