Talking to People with a Slang Fetish?

telequacktastic

Tele-Afflicted
I have a guitar picker friend from Louisiana who is infatuated with slang and I'm constantly questioning him and myself of what he's going on about. I'm overloaded with self doubt during our phone conversations and text messages.

I wouldn't say its a full blown existentialist crisis, but I have contemplated the philosophical purpose of conversation.

How do people develop fluency in slang?

Why even talk at all?

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Are you using "fetish" in the religious or sexual sense? Or as slang?
fetish.JPG

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I have a guitar picker friend from Louisiana who is infatuated with slang and I'm constantly questioning him and myself of what he's going on about. I'm overloaded with self doubt during our phone conversations and text messages.

I wouldn't say its a full blown existentialist crisis, but I have contemplated the philosophical purpose of conversation.

How do people develop fluency in slang?

Why even talk at all?
Oftentimes, it's an affectation that's exclusionary.....like people who talk jargon around other folks not "in-the-know". It's a form of passive-aggression to belittle other people.
I try to turn it around when someone insists on doing it.....keep repeating "WHAT?" every time they won't talk in "common" language. Either they get the message or not, but if they're not serious about communicating, it's THEIR fault. ;)

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
Language is a Virus
a concept: in the William S. Burroughs novel "The Ticket That Exploded"
characterise man: as "the time binding machine" due to his ability to write. Burroughs sees the significance of a written word as a distinguishing feature of human beings which enables them to transform and convey information to future generations. He proposes the theory of "the unrecognised virus" present in the language, suggesting that, "the word has not been recognised as a virus because it has achieved a state of stable symbiosis with the host."

yo myng wud up.

yo myng = greetings my friend, i wish you well.
wud up = good to see you , tell me about what is on your mind. how are things going with you?

Language is a living organism, it replicates /reproduces through usage, mutating from one generation to the next in a manner that induces the need and desire to be used by the
host.
Language spreads and replicates as well as mutates through usage the more it is used the more constant these thing occur.

slang : is a symptom of a healthy language in action.

REASON.jpg