1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Talking necks, NND times two.

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Skydog1010, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Just got a couple new necks, have a couple questions about care and feeding.

Roasted maple satin poly sealed on the back of the neck, Fingerboard is open pore.
    OK to feed that roasted fingerboard with some lemon oil?

Question 2
    Rosewood Fingerboard inset into border bound maple neck (Channel Bound), again Rosewood is thirsty, OK to feed some oil?

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Absolutely fine to put mineral oil on a rosewood board, but "lemon oil" is many things and as furniture polish it may not be good if it has silicone or cleaning compounds.

inset border bound IDK about the effect of oiling the RW, ask the manufacturer!
    Light mineral oil and wipe off should be fine if it looks dry, but some RW just isn't dry so doesn't need oiling.

Roasted maple necks are supposed to not need any finish, not sure why it got sprayed on the back but not the board?
    The pores are supposed to be closed, sap crystalized by the roasting?
    Might not want to add oil, but again I'd ask the manufacturer.

Skydog1010 likes this.
  3. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

finish on roasted maple fingerboard has been mechanically removed (sanded off) it's Fender MIM, fingerboard almost appears to be another type of wood. Headstock is high gloss poly, back of neck is satin poly and VERY fast to play.

The Channel Bound is MIA and very thirsty RW fingerboard. I'll give Fender a call. It's the fastest playing neck I have, even faster and better quality than my Ultra neck and that's a BIG statement.

Thanks for guidance.

4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

If the RW really looks dry I would hit it with some mineral oil, but I'd make sure it was pure mineral oil for cutting boards etc.
    And wipe on wipe off should be sufficient, I find the oil keeps seeping out from under the frets after heavily dosing a new board that looks dry from the factory.

Sounds like nice necks!
    I'd grab a roasted maple if one came up at an affordable price.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.