1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Talkbass forum is down

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by broadcaster, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Telecasters84

Telecasters84 Tele-Meister

6A8D0AA6-5FB2-4933-80DA-63BAD64A37A8.gif

68Telebass, Reedt2000 and Delinquent like this.
  2. Delinquent

Delinquent Tele-Meister

:lol:

Well, I can conspiracize 'til the cows come home but in the end, who am I kidding? I live there. o_O :oops:

3. ctmullins

ctmullins Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I’m packing up and heading over to TalkSynth. See y’all in a few days. Or whenever the ransom gets paid.

Delinquent, Reedt2000 and Gary_M like this.
  4. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That would be the DIY section, which includes Tele Home Depot, Finely Finished, The DIY Tool Shed, Shock Brothers Amps, and Burnt Fingers DIY Effects

RichterScale likes this.
  5. Call Me Al

Call Me Al Tele-Meister

Those Rockets look flippin’ sweet. Me don’t need, but me want!

Haven’t had a 15 in a while, and my first amp was a SS Ampeg 15 combo. I’ve got a soft spot. Looking forward to hearing some reviews and demoing one!

68Telebass likes this.
  6. jclegg

jclegg TDPRI Member

There's also some DIY stuff going on in this forum in posts that begin with "2021 Winter Build Off"

7. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Cool. Same conclusion, here. In my last contract PM gig one of my projects was standing up a new DC for DR and high-availability.

Scoops likes this.
  8. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

I've seen situations where availability was critical and the spare WAS a Dell or HP tower sitting under someone's desk. No joke. This stuff is real, unfortunately.

Gary_M and Scoops like this.
  9. nobis17

nobis17 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I'm assuming the reason you got suspended was probably because you said something negative about tort pickguards...or maybe you don't like P basses?

68Telebass likes this.
  10. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

Busted!

Actually I have two P basses; one with a tort pickguard.

What's funny is that I've always been surprised when I've had my account suspended, but the one time I was sure I was going to get suspended or banned I didn't. I got into with a moderator of the effects forum. Someone wanted to know what effects to use to get a "better sound" out of his bass. I had the audacity to suggest he practice until he gets a good fundamental tone and THEN add effects. I'm NOT anti-effects, I just think you ought to be able to play before you start using them. The moderator and I went at it pretty good, including a couple of heated PMs, but I wasn't going to back down. He just stopped responding and I let it go.

I've had a couple of other run ins with rude moderators there. I can't help myself, I just can't stand some wet behind the ears little former hall monitor tattle tale acting like they know excrement from shinola just because they've got a title.

Mr Green Genes likes this.
  11. Scoops

Scoops Tele-Meister

A buddy of mine is a contractor for requisitioning supplies for a militarily base.
    What you indicate is their standard setup

archetype likes this.
  12. RichterScale

RichterScale TDPRI Member

I'm confused.....I keep hearing comments about TB being overrun by P-bass and tort nazis.
    Seems funny, hearing that on here, seeing how this is a Fender-specific site.
    Seeing how I'm new to both sites and never really ventured out of the luthier section,....is there an inside joke or backstory I'm not hip to?

Reedt2000 likes this.
  13. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Afflicted

I’ll play.

Here are my two Glarry basses:
    DF71D3E1-BC23-432D-810B-DB77EB4FB422.jpeg
    Added tort pickguards, bridge covers, and pickup covers to both. The P version got a Fender Original pickup, Bourns pots, and a Switchcraft output jack. The J version got its neck reshimmed and a brass nut to replace the poorly cut stock (stoke?) nut.

Did this post tick most of the boxes?

:)

68Telebass, Reedt2000 and scook like this.
  14. nobis17

nobis17 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

This is pretty basic. I completely agree with you. I've played bass for 25+ years now, just last year I added some pedals, really more for fun than anything else. The funny thing is, I take my board with me when ever I play out, but I end up using a clean signal for almost everything.

68Telebass, Reedt2000 and teletail like this.
  15. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

That's how I was. I find bass pedals can be fun at home, but I've yet to find a use for them live. I say more power to the people that can make it work, I'm just not one of them. I'm playing about 99.9% guitar now, so it's not really even an issue.

Bassman8 and Reedt2000 like this.
  16. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

I managed a data warehouse for the government in the late 90's and as the data grew I kept saying we needed more storage. They kept asking me for a date when server would be full (dumbasses). I said I could estimate it, but I couldn't give them an exact date. They finally got tired of hearing me tell them so they said they didn't want to hear it again until the server was full. Well, one morning I came in and the server was at 100% capacity and couldn't load any more data. All of a sudden they spring into action - trying to blame me. Fortunately I had dozens of emails warning them about this issue so they backed off.

Next was, "couldn't we delete some of the backups?" I just reminded them that we were the only repository in the world for this data and if it was lost and we didn't have backups, it was lost forever. They told me to go ahead and delete it anyway. I refused and said they would need to have a government employee delete the data because that was an unacceptable risk. Well, suddenly it was unacceptable for them too.

They finally gave me a server to move the backups to, and a backup tape drive so that we had backups to tape in case the server went down. It was my first government project.

Sounds like some of those people got jobs at the place where TB was hosted. A server down for three days? Something very fishy is going on over there.

17. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

What you went through sounds like the normal course of things, to me. Doesn't matter if it's government or private. Decisions are made per the highest paid person in the room, no matter that there's no experience or knowledge to 'back it up.' Oh, well. CYA, 'cause as a contractor it's always your fault. ;)

18. RichterScale

RichterScale TDPRI Member

What?!?
    Something managed by a gov-run outfit and they have no idea what they're doing??
    Incomprehensible!

teletail likes this.
  19. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

I must say that in 30 years of IT both technical and management, I've never encountered anywhere near the level of incompetence in private management as I did in government. I'm certainly not saying private industry is perfect, but many of the government contracts I was on took incompetence to a whole new level.

archetype likes this.
  20. 68Telebass

68Telebass Friend of Leo's

AAAArrrrrrggghhhhh!!!! Don’t do it!!!:eek:

OH Yeah!!! Those Glarrys look nice all dressed up for the prom in tort and chrome :):):)!!! I’ve been tempted to get the Glarry P as I dont have a straight P. I would probably do the same to mine!!!
    With TB down- I’ve made on offering to the bass lords and purchased a chrome set bridge and pickup cover for my sunburst/tort Jazz....:cool:
    keep a candle burning low...:rolleyes:

Reedt2000 and Ronzo like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.