1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Talkbass forum is down

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by broadcaster, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

It’s really arbitrary at TB. If a song title has swear words in it they let it fly. But if you post a picture and there’s a swear word they remove it.

broadcaster likes this.
  2. RichterScale

RichterScale TDPRI Member

I would imagine the internet sites turned into an even bigger $#!t show than they already were, once everyone locked themselves indoors over a year ago. I have no FB, insta-whatever, no social media whatsoever. Just an occasional enthusiasts site. One for my bike back around 2008, then jumped to one for my truck after a few years, then joined one for a van I'm turning into an RV. Now the bass building stuff. But not all at once. I go from one to the next. Point is, one site at a time and that's my only internet interaction with others. Once last March rolled around and everyone lost what was left of their minds, I completely avoided even the enthusiast site I was on until I joined TB recently.
    I guess what I'm getting at is whatever issues people had with whatever site they were on, I'm sure they got much worse over the course of the last 2 yrs.
    Our internet culture has already turned most people into idiots,....I can only imagine how much worse it got with everyone locked indoors.

ctmullins and broadcaster like this.
  3. 68Telebass

68Telebass Friend of Leo's

Well, no swearing or halon here, but in my untethered state I’ve done a bit of shopping!

Got the J bass out this weekend and ran through a few things- Dang! It sounds GREAT!!! 2849C2D0-EEA6-43FF-81AB-09E7C318A81C.jpeg

MIM Classic 60s with the nitro finish. :cool:So I finally pulled the trigger on the chrome bridge and pickup cover for it.
    Also splurged on some Gibson polish snd a few cloths- got to make it shine to keep up with the new Bling-a-Bling!!!!

Yay! C-Note:)

scook, Wyzsard, Reedt2000 and 2 others like this.
  4. 68Telebass

Oh- yeah, TalkBass still down!!
    @Ronzo we have to kick in some more posts here!!

Flats or rounds???? I say Flats....

GO!!!:p

broadcaster and Reedt2000 like this.
  5. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

TalkBass is a great place for folks early in their musical pursuits...but how many “should I buy...” or “what’s the best bass for Mongolian Rap Waltzes?” can a collective ask?

that said, their ads can be a treasure chest at times.

teletail, 68Telebass and broadcaster like this.
  6. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 TDPRI Member

Clearly this one:

21514ad20ceeae11e11c3ce17100e275.jpg

1071258451_0_0_1200_675_1200x0_80_0_1_873b7b333532d0079c7b1e3b52659b0a.jpg

7. Delinquent

Delinquent Tele-Meister

It's a scam.

First, what self respecting data center or server farm would use a sprinkler system for fire suppression? Sure Halon's gone, but Argon systems are everywhere and the big excitement these days is Novec 1230. A huge company like WebNX using water? I call bs.

Second, no reports of commercial or industrial fires in the last week in Ogden Utah. The fire department makes no mention in media.

Third, no site mirrors? A physical location fire at one building apparently shuts them down?

No... hacked and being held ransom is the only thing that makes any sense... :D

8. RichterScale

Kiesel guitars probably bought the site and shut it down so they could steal my pine brontosaurus bass design.
    I knew it was a mistake going public.

Delinquent and broadcaster like this.
  9. nobis17

nobis17 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Thanks for the update on the talkbass forum. I was really wondering what was up.

Ronzo and broadcaster like this.
  10. Scoops

Scoops Tele-Meister

So, my day job is Project and/or Program Manager.

I've managed many projects that address Disaster Recovery

It doesn't look like they had a DR plan. Odd! most hosting companies do.

11. Dave W

Dave W Friend of Leo's

:D

Huff is a grifter who never intended to deliver those basses. He made a few so he could get more deposits on basses he never intended to build. He never expected that Talkbass thread to take on a life of its own. It hasn't made any difference to the people he swindled but at least it keeps some prospective buyers away.

Bassman8 and BluesGuitarMart like this.
  12. Call Me Al

Call Me Al Tele-Meister

Tort! Carrots! Modes! Rumble combo! Jamerson!

ok, I feel better now :D

13. Call Me Al

Call Me Al Tele-Meister

My buddy just picked up this thing . I’ll just leave it here...

077418C4-4726-4C62-8593-41BAE6C3CB8E.jpeg

14. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's

I like Talkbass. What a shame. Hope they get back up soon.

15. Gary_M

Gary_M TDPRI Member

That was my exact thought as well, Beej. Pretty much zero chance that they were hosted in only one physical location... something is fishy for sure.

broadcaster likes this.
  16. Gary_M

Gary_M TDPRI Member

Turns out, TB was sitting on the last remaining GeoCities server which finally gave up the ghost. The hot spare was a 15 year old Dell OptiPlex sitting under someone's desk, which was tragically powered off sometime last year when everyone went home due to the pandemic. :lol:

17. Delinquent

Delinquent Tele-Meister

Right? This whole thing is quite odd to say the very least. Site traffic revenue alone would not be trivial on a site that large with that much traffic. They seem somewhat unconcerned about this in deciding "whether or not" to bring the site back up. I mean, I last worked in any kind of IT over 20 years ago, but even back then there were better backups than what's being demonstrated. :D Like if this had happened where I worked, we would have operated everything from an existing mirror site in seconds and the end user would never have known, plus we wouldn't even have told the higher ups until the afternoon report, because it would not have been catastrophic. :rolleyes:

I'm giggling at the conspiracy theory nature of this, but ya gotta wonder what's really going on. Like, was WebNX hacked and they are being held ransom for customer data and they are just not being transparent to their customers? The whole "fire onsite" scenario is just so implausible these days. In 2002? Yeah, I might have bought it then... :lol:

Gary_M and Telecasters84 like this.
  18. 68Telebass

9E022D25-99B2-4B8E-BF1D-59F12D9A8E1F.jpeg

Love me some carrot tort! Oh and my Rumble 40 combo.

...but I HAVE preordered an Ampeg Rocket Bass RB115 200w combo..:cool: 40A6AB04-D397-4A31-8430-104BDCE31E97.jpeg

Call Me Al and Killing Floor like this.
  19. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

Here's that guy with the headband. Making the "bass face". Safe to assume only people in the audience are male bass players. When I saw him there were 2 women at the Moonshadow, bartender, and waitress. He played a bass solo!
    [​IMG]

68Telebass likes this.
  20. RichterScale

I don't buy the "we were testing the backup generator and it burst into flames" story either.
    It was probably more like this,

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.