1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Talk to me about the Broadcaster bridge pickup (baja tele))

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by AJBaker, Jul 6, 2011.

1. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

How does the baja bridge pickup compare to other tele bridge pickups? It's my only tele so I can't compare. To me it sounds very powerful and midsy, and sounds great with the volume rolled down a bit.

2. benjammin420

benjammin420 TDPRI Member

funny, I was coming in here to ask a similar question, though to me (or rather, the Broadcaster in my Baja) it doesn't seem all that powerful, and quite bright. Going from the neck to the bridge, theres a drop in power, I prefer to have a bridge that is more powerful than the neck

3. Sparklecaster

Sparklecaster Tele-Meister

If your neck is louder than your bridge you need to raise your bridge pup. If it's up pretty close to the strings lower your neck pup till they are even in volume. If you want less treble on the bridge pup lower the treble side of the pup till it's even with the bass side or maybe a little lower if you want less than that

4. benjammin420

benjammin420 TDPRI Member

Pickup volume isn't the issue. the bridge is as high as it can go, and I had to remove one of the one of the rubber inserts from neck pickup in order to lower it enough to get the balanced the way I like. The bridge pickup doesn't have as much power as I like (and is generally brighter) and the neck pickup is lower than I like it to be, just to compensate

I'm curious, for those who have replaced their Broadcaster pickups, what they replaced them with and how they liked the new pickups

5. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

I had a Baja and found I preferred a Tonerider Hot Classic in the bridge to the original .It seemed more toneful but ballsy as well .Maybe I was lucky .I sold the Baja (too heavy) but kept the TR pickup .I also preferred the pickup to the Keystone bridge as well and the CVC bridge .I like the Baja neck pickup and may well pick one up for my partscaster though .

6. NickWebb

NickWebb Tele-Meister

This of course is all very subjective but: I've lived with the standard Baja pups for a few years (not being one to rush into things you undertand) but in my experience they weren't really weren't quite up to the job.

Notes on the B & E strings played up the higher end of the fretboard simply fell away, sounding weedy and feeble when using the Baja in the live band situation. Amps used were Divided By 13, HiWatt and Fender Deluxe Reverb, so its not an amp issue.

After a fair amount of research and playing other folks Teles I went for Bare Knuckle "The Boss" set as described elswhere here on the PickUp forum.

Am now a happy Baja player :D

7. Stylemaster

Stylemaster Tele-Afflicted

Sounds like there might be something wrong with your bridge pickup. I had to raise the Twisted Tele neck pup pretty high to keep up with the Broadcaster bridge pup. I actually like the Broadcaster better than the Twisted Tele which sounds too thin on the high strings for a neck pup.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.