1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Talk to me about Cedar top acoustics please

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by SirJackdeFuzz, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Bush Wiebe

Bush Wiebe Tele-Meister

Totally agree! I didn't know others found this to be the case as well. Mine just came alive when I put 10's on it (it came with 11's) and played with a lighter pick than I have in years. I was amazed:eek: at the difference. Is that a cedar thing?!

2. orangedrop

orangedrop Friend of Leo's

Wow, you guys have some very beautiful guitars there!

Many years ago a friend of mine who is childhood friends with John Monteleone, brought me to John's shop to meet him.

He showed us an experimental all cedar archtop IIRC, seem to recall "F" holes.

Anyway, this was absolutely the most resonant, loudest acoustic for its size I ever heard.

That thing sounded fantastic!

John said he'd never make one to sell because it is so soft and would get beat to death even being gentle with it.

It really would have made a great recording instrument, who cares what an instrument looks like to a microphone?

3. Edwin

Edwin Banned

Cedar is definitely softer than spruce. My cedar top came without a pick guard so I put a Gibson style pick guard to save some ware.

4. B25Gib

B25Gib TDPRI Member

A cedar top guitar "opens" up faster that a spruce top so approaches the tonal complexity of the builder's design more quickly than spruce. Different tone but very nice. Much softer wood so dents and scratches are to be expected.

5. SirJackdeFuzz

SirJackdeFuzz Friend of Leo's

Thanks to all so far . . . keep 'em coming !

6. Edwin

Edwin Banned

OK I've experienced if you strike the strings too aggressive on spruce you can actually slap the tone and volume off the guitar. Even plugged in. Not so much with cedar

7. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

Not sure if its any help but I have a Guild GAD GC-2 - solid cedar top, rosewood sides, hog neck, ebony fretboard. I also have a Takamine C132S with solid cedar top, rosewood sides and fretboard, and hog neck.

Compare those to my Yamaha NTX 700 (which I love and its really not fair to compare since its not in the same ballpark) but has solid spruce top, Nato sides and neck, rosewood board.

The Guild and Tak are warmer, more full sounding, nice bass without being over powering or boomy, and they have some real subtle harmonic overtones that are gorgeous.

I dont have a pic of the NTX 700 but here are the two classicals.

Attached Files:

8. SirJackdeFuzz

SirJackdeFuzz Friend of Leo's

9. Omiewise65

Omiewise65 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I've got an Art & Lutherie one piece cedar top - dreadnaught style guitar ( body is slightly smaller ) with wildcherry laminated back and sides .
    All canadian woods are used here , except for the rosewood bridge .

I swear it sounds a bit brighter everytime i pick it up for playing .
    Very nice guitar for someone who is on a budget like me .

10. Greg.Coal

Greg.Coal Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

No, I don't. But, it has two features that are must haves*, as far as I am concerned: a cutaway and built-in electronics. including an internal mic and blender.

Looks decent.

Greg

* I have promised myself that the next acoustic I buy will have both

11. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I feel the GAS coming on.

12. LondonLefty

LondonLefty Tele-Meister

I've got a Walden G570 which has a cedar top with laminated wild cherry back & sides. Really warm sound, with loads of bottom end. It is a soft wood, so does show the bumps & bashes more. It's my knock about acoustic, but great value at under £200 new.

Attached Files:

13. frenchie

frenchie TDPRI Member

I have an old 1980 Daion Heritage 78 guitar that I bought in 1982, it has a stained solid Cedar top with laminated Ovangkol B&S. The top is pretty thin and it is scalloped braced. The guitar is very loud, and makes my friends 83 Martin D-18 sound like a toy!

Cedar is a softer wood than Spruce and it dings quite easily, it`s also meant to be warmer sounding when new, but with less headroom when strummed hard. This certainly isn`t the case with the Daion.

Here is mine, it`s in the middle.
    [​IMG]

And here is Chris Maerten (Tofmelon) playing his.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5-lwukczUw

Steve

14. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

15. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Everything said above reflects my opinions.

I have a spruce top acoustic and have been looking at cedar tops for about a year now. They are different animals, so I've decided I need one of each. This thread is pushing the Gas for me. I like the Seagull S6 slim the best so far in my price range. Projection is an issue that seems to hold me back a bit, but the warmth is soooo nice. I think that the dreadnaught size overcomes some of the projection. Also it seems like a cutaway A/E effects the projection too, so I'm going without it.

Good luck and for sure go out a play a bunch before you buy. No way could I buy an acoustic online. Even my mass produced, spruce top acoustic model, sounded and played different for each one I picked up. I bought the one with an obvious aesthetic flaw, but it sounded the best and have never regretted it.

16. jitensha

jitensha Tele-Holic

I've had this nice cedar topped Tak for about 25 years; just keeps sounding better.

[​IMG]

17. StickyWicket520

StickyWicket520 TDPRI Member

+1 on the headroom thing. I notice this with my cedar topped Seagull Entourage. When really banging out the chords it turns flabby. But with a lighter touch or with fingerstyle it sings to a degree that I haven't heard many spruce topped guitars reach. Those that did all cost upwards of 4x what the seagull cost.

+1 to the comments regarding lighter string gauges as well, putting .10's on mine really helped.

18. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

My old 70's MIJ Angelica classical has a cedar top. It got lent to Toots Hibert at a festival which is where this pick is from. Got the guitar for like $50.00 in TN and liked it so much that I bought a 70's spruce top D-28 copy Angelica dreadnought too! [photo of it next to my brother-in-laws Martin]

Sorry,not really related to this cedar thread. Maybe I should start an Angelica thread.. :lol:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  19. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

This thread is a little old but I found that what Warm Guns posted here was very true with my Breedlove. I took off the D'Addario EXPs that came with the guitar and thanks to a suggestion made in this forum put on a set of TI Plectrums and the difference is amazing. The sweetness of the cedar top is still there but with far more brilliance and presence and the harmonics are crazy good. It sounds like a completely different guitar now.

20. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

This is a good point. I use Daddario strings on most of my electrics, they just seem to be great all purpose strings, but for some reason they do not gel with my cedar topped Taylor. On the other hand I have had a fair bit of luck with the John Pearse Phos Bronze strings. I had not heard of these TI Plectrums until this thread....might have to try a set

Cheers

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.