1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Talk to me about Cedar top acoustics please

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by SirJackdeFuzz, Oct 4, 2013.

1. SirJackdeFuzz

SirJackdeFuzz Friend of Leo's

. . . why is there so little (compared to other woods) choice on the market :?:

Do any of you have a Cedar top model ?

If so, what do you like about this wood over a Spruce or any other tone wood ?

Feel free to post pics of your Cedar acoustics - thanks !

2. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

I don't think anyone here can contribute anything better than going in to your local music store and trying a few. Cedar is generally considered to be warmer and less bright than spruce, but it depends on the species etc. I have built a cedar topped classical guitar, and have an old Ibanez classical with cedar top. Try some.

3. SirJackdeFuzz

4. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

This is good advice as always is to try out different ones and let your ears be the best judge.
    I have a cedar toped S-6 cutaway Seagull. Very warm woody articulate tone.
    PS-Certainly wouldn't talk you out of a Breedlove. I have heard nothing but good from folks who have these guitars.

5. tony hunt

tony hunt Tele-Meister

In the early eighties I ordered a cedar top from Takamine. I ordered cedar because I was looking for a warmer sound.
    It took quite a while to arrive.
    I never got to play it that much because it was always on unofficial extended loan to other members of the band and was really difficult to get them to give it back.

The top became quite scarred, I think it is not so resilient as spruce.

After twenty years I sold it to go with a vintage dreadnought and a De-Armond PU in the soundhole.
    The buyer was amazed and wrote to me later that this Takamine was the best acoustic he had ever played, better than his Martins and Gibsons. Try some out.

tony

6. Edwin

Edwin Banned

I have one and compared to sitka, the cedar has a tighter bass response than sitka spruce. The spruce has better treble response. I use both.

Cedar
    [​IMG]

Spruce
    [​IMG]

7. SirJackdeFuzz

Thanks . . . so have i to be honest !

8. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

I've had this Taylor Grand Symphony with Cedar top and rosewood back/sides for almost 7 years now. Great guitar....It has a very clear defined tight bass end to it, and there is more of a warmness to the high strings. I use it for folk, blues, rock etc....very versatile. It also opened up very quickly from new. As a few have mentioned, try them out first.

Attached Files:

9. BoogerRooger

BoogerRooger Poster Extraordinaire

Cedar top Fylde Orsino

[​IMG]

10. Greg.Coal

Greg.Coal Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have a cedar and mahogany Lowden and it is a bright and articulate guitar. I bought a spruce topped Tanglewood parlor guitar which is dull compared to the otherwise similar cedar-topped version by Tanglewood - which I wish I had bought.

As most people will say: go try some in a store and see if the dogma stands up: that cedar wood guitars are warmer. You only need to find the one right guitar!

Greg

11. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I seem to recall there being a line of budget cedar guits.
    Art & Lutherie? Simon & Patrick?
    For some reason I'm thinking it was one of those two-name brands.

12. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I had a Seagull Coastline Grand. (It was later given to one of my students.) I like how the cedar top sounds.

The top did show little marks and nicks over time compared to spruce tops I've owned. That's to be expected I'm told.

13. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

yeah I bet it was the seagulls I was thinking of

14. gtrguru

gtrguru Friend of Leo's

I was on a sub $600 acoustic search several years ago and ended up buying a used Takamine cedar top. So warm and rich sounding. Not sure why I don't see more of them being played.

15. Edwin

Edwin Banned

I bought mine about 5 or 6 years ago and when I let people play either of my Tak's they try to get them from me.

Ain't gonna happen though. I like 'em.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  16. Gearhead88

Gearhead88 Tele-Holic

I've got two Art & Lutherie Acoustics with cedar tops , an "Ami " and a twelve string dreadnought . Great value , in either one , I love how they sound.

17. 3waytie4last

3waytie4last Tele-Meister

I just had this guitar built. Cedar top w/walnut back and sides. The builder made a Sitka spruce topped version at the same time. Although there were differences in strings on the two, he described the cedar as having more sustain and the spruce as being more punchy. I think warm vs crisp or to put what I hear visually:

) vs }

[​IMG]

18. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

My Breedlove has a cedar top vs the spruce top on my Taylor. It took a week or two to get used to the tone of the Breedlove but once I did I began to enjoy the warmth and the sweeter tonality. IMHO the spruce tops will sound brighter and project a bit better but the cedar top makes a very nice sounding guitar as well and it's being used on some very high end models.

19. Bush Wiebe

Bush Wiebe Tele-Meister

Here's my Simon and Patrick Natural Elements cedar top. I absolutely love this guitar. It just sings so sweetly. I don't know much about the difference between cedar and spruce but I know this one sounds awesome!:p

Attached Files:

• 010.jpg
      010.jpg
      File size:
      40.6 KB
      Views:
    • 009.jpg
      009.jpg
      File size:
      51.6 KB
      Views:
  20. Warm Gums

Warm Gums Friend of Leo's

I have had a Seagull and Tak, and they seem to be more sensitive to string selection than most traditional steel string tops. since I tend to be a "whats on sale" type of string buyer they didn't work out for me. YMMV.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.