1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Talk to me about AO vs. AV

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by johmica, Oct 24, 2020.

1. johmica

johmica Tele-Holic

I've got an AO 50s tele that I've had since May, and I can't seem to set the thing down. I love this guitar. I've got the opportunity to purchase a 2013 AV '52, and I'm curious to hear from those who own both about the differences between the two. Pickups, neck profile, finish, playability, etc.

The reason why I'm thinking about picking up the second RI is that I'm wanting a tele with a Charlie Christian in the bridge, and if I do pull the trigger on the AV, one of the two blondes will take a trip to my tech to have a Lollar installed.

Thanks for any info you guys have to offer.

2. Renegade

Renegade Tele-Meister

Couple difference that I am aware of:
    AV has 7.25 neck radius and vintage style fret.
    AO has 9.5 neck radius and vintage tall frets.

Edit to add:
    Originally my AV52 came wired with the switch function as follows...(Back) Bridge pickup w/tone control, (Middle) Neck pickup w/tone control, (Front) Neck pickup with no tone control and all treble rolled off.
    It came with kit/instruction for standard tele wiring, which I did but left the 0.047uf cap in place rather than updating to the 0.022uf cap that came with the kit.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    johmica likes this.
  3. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

If you like the AO, you will love the AV. I have the AV Tele and a AO Jazzmaster. They are both great guitars. The differences between the neck radii and fret size are, in my opinion, inconsequential. It’s more about the neck shape. If you get the AV, please keep that one original. That’s how good they are.

4. Rufustelestrats

Rufustelestrats Tele-Holic

AO is 9.5 while AV is 7.25 Radius, finish on AV thinner, pickups on AV were year specific, while on the AO are decade specific. YMMV but try one.

johmica likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.