Talk to me about a 5A3 Tweed Deluxe

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by tjnies, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Beware of people who say don't service old amps. You might be lucky - but I've opened two amps younger than that and found exploded caps. Then there's the question of old dried out caps and effect on sound. Plus the waxed paper, oil in paper types.

One amp, an output transformer leg was open - the guy who rewound it said it appeared that the copper winding had corroded or lacquer gone, but the cap was also popped. That stuff is like acidic Araldite, it took the Hammertone off the case inside. Hate to be digging it out of a fibre board.

I think an amp in that category I'd pass on, let someone else keep it as a collectible.

2. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Afflicted

Regarding the comment about the 5C3 having 4 inputs.

Both the 5C3 and 5D3 have only 3 inputs. Two are for the instrument channel and one for the mic channel.

The 4 input Deluxe was not introduced until the 5E3, FWIW.

3. corn husk bag

corn husk bag TDPRI Member

4. tjnies

tjnies Tele-Holic

Anyway, back to the OP (me), I have decided to pass.
    I want an amp that has all necessary OE components, but unafraid to make changes to alter that "untouched solder joints" (as MuchXS used to say), which results in an amp that looks SO original, but unplayable.

I could make the needed updates, but now I have this great-playing amp that is worth less than the purchase price. No thanks.

5. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

You missed the point of my post
    The tech I use, who also has his own line of amps, tests my amps and does visual inspections when I take them in to him
    If something was "iffy" he'd recommend replacing/repairing it
    He knows I don't want something failing during a gig or while on the road
    What he doesn't do is change stuff when it doesn't need it just because that's what is the popular mentality these days

6. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

With respect, how would he know? The only way to properly measure a cap is take it out of the circuit - unsolder it. Is he doing that once every five years? Every decade?

Looking at things visually might pick up leaking electrolyte. What then? Does he recommend replace? Or the gel inside could be completely dried up and externally it's perfect. It's hard to tell over time if an amp's naturally hummy or a cap's about to let go.

With 1950-something components they could measure 30-40 percent out, brand new. What point is 'replace' status reached?

Will he warrant you if a cap he says is 'Ok' pops and takes out an original transformer, given it may be weak due to deterioration of the formvar coating, or just corrosion of the copper?

I'm not a pro tech who works on amps every day and I've seen two blown filter caps both on 60s stuff. One was the PA head with one leg of the OT taken out - did the OT go first, and take the cap out, or vice-versa? That stuff is horrible to get off.

I've also seen on 70s amps I've worked on filter caps looking like they have cancer and white Mallory bypass caps with blisters and rusty stains. To play, the amps were not hummy or buzzy, but a bit quiet and tired.

Replacing the caps brought them to life IMO.

Your amps, your choice.

For museum grade amps, I'd say keep them original in a museum and never turn them on. For gigging amps caps don't devalue the amp as much as changed transformers or gunged up tagboards.

7. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

Feel free to maintain your amps as you see fit, I will do the same.
    I'm not here to argue.

8. agogetr

agogetr Tele-Meister

ya you might get a bad tube once every couple blue moons bust most of those old american tubes run forever. also ive been using 2 prong plugs for over 40 years and havent had any problems . just move around a bit and toggle your ground switch to where you get the least hum. if your singing just touch the strings on the microphone to make sure theres no sparking and away you go.
    i had my lips zapped a couple times then figured out i should bypass my body and go straight strings to mike to check! hey i was only 14.. i thought that UL LISTED sticker had me covered.
    was it eric johnson that marks his plugs with a sharpie? pretty cool. and man the old grey cords look awesome! of course some were the lamp cord type.

9. agogetr

agogetr Tele-Meister

i had a 3 input deluxe i could jumper the channels like a marshall. i think the guy said he changed one wire inside or something. cranked up it was really really great, even at lower volumes it was thicker.
    it didnt need a pedal at all! i traded him a world war 2 bomber jacket for it.
    i never tried jumping a 4 input, i wonder....

10. agogetr

agogetr Tele-Meister

i had a tech tell me he uses a roach clip and does somthing where he doesent have to unsolder to check caps.
    mike you are correct to run your amps long and hard.. the money you will save from not doing 'maintenance' will pay for an original transformer when yours finally blows which it probably never will. i have over 100 amps and sometimes most of them dont get run for decades, i dont remember ever blowing a transformer on one of them. there are a few of them now making wierd noises i just marked them to get checked out when i get around to it and push them to the back.. the ones that run fine.. run fine. i,m gonna sell about 30 amps when i get my studio set up. if they want to put a 3 prong on or a mustache or whatever blows their skirt up its all rocknroll to me.

11. agogetr

agogetr Tele-Meister

last year i bought a mint tv front deluxe with cover and matching steel for 3400. it was in a shop and on weverb it was sitting there although priced a bit higher. a player grade one in fair shape shouldnt be much over 2k. imao
    the tube layout is why some folks want these amps, they have their own sound /breakup.
    in my opinion replacing only the needed caps and whatever parts that really need to be replaced will not hurt the value of a mint tweed. dont change the 2 prong to a 3 prong! then you will loose probably 2/3rds of your mint tweed amp buyers.including me.

12. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Awwww....nevermind...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.