1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Talk me out of the JHS morning glory

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by gobi_grey, Jan 23, 2019.

1. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

Like I need another overdrive. But I am a sucker for mild transparent overdrives though... This one seems right up my alley. Right now I use a Barber Gain Changer for a light overdrive, a Love Pedal les louis for my "heavy" overdrive and a tube screamer to tie things together when needed. I'm thinking there could be room for one more. I'd probably use it as I do the gain changer, just to add a little texture. How do you guys like yours?

2. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Don't do it
    Waste of money
    Go play yer guitar

I know this ain't gonna work

3. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

But... but... It's so tantalizing!:D
    Seriously though. Most overdrives drive me crazy because they're over the top even at low gain. Can't stand too much overdrive but different colors of mild overdrive really get me going.

Djentleman Dan likes this.
  4. Djentleman Dan

Djentleman Dan Tele-Holic

[​IMG]

gobi_grey likes this.
  5. Kayle McGuire

Kayle McGuire Tele-Meister

I don’t have experience with the Morning Glory, but I do own (and love) my Tumnus Deluxe, which shares some Klon-like similarities with the Morning Glory.

For me, personally, it is the best light-medium overdrive I’ve ever owned! I use the transparent Tumnus for low gain and my mid range JHS Bonsai for high gain — and those are my only two dirt boxes!

If the MG can interact like the Tumnus does, which I’m sure it will, I would say go for it! I also own a few other amazing JHS pedals, including the Lucky Cat delay <3

Let us know what you decide!

KM

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI forum mobile app

Mugs and El Tele Lobo like this.
  6. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Holic

When I was looking at OD's, I narrowed it down to Xotic BB Preamp, Morning Glory and Timmy. I "thought" I'd end up with the Xotic BB, but after playing each with my amp/tele, I ended up with the Timmy (still have it) and the Morning Glory was a close second.
    It was a really nice sounding OD, but the Timmy edged it out (and was $70 less).
    My experiences.

7. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

I don’t own one yet, but based on online shootouts I’ve seen, I would also recommend the Tumnus.

Mugs likes this.
  8. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

The Morning Glory is based on the old Marshall Blues Breaker pedal. The Tumnus is Klon based and the Timmy is also a different design. Apples and oranges... I've got GGG and Chicago Stompworks Blues Breaker clones and use them a lot. You might watch some of the Blues Breaker shootouts. At $199, I think the MG is over-priced. It's built on a SMD board with board mounted jacks and switches making it difficult and expensive to repair. It also can't be powered by a battery. Shop around. The Snouse pedals are said to be good and appear to be very well built. The $50 Chicago Stompworks clone is also a solid through-hole build with chassis mounted Switchcraft jacks as is the GGG. Either can be powered with a battery.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    MilwMark and gkterry like this.
  9. Peregrino69

Peregrino69 Tele-Afflicted

I'd be happy to... if you would please describe first how the heck did you end up IN one anyway...

drewcp, kevsonic and gobi_grey like this.
  10. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

:lol::lol: That's funny right there.

Whether it is right, wrong or otherwise, I can't get over the rep that JHS has acquired for ripping off other builders. It has been enough to cause me not to even look at their products. They are pretty omni present on the boards of contemporary Christian players too, which also confuses me given their rep.

El Tele Lobo and Mugs like this.
  11. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

The J in JHS is going to take away from your mojo and leave you with just moo.

drewcp and Paul in Colorado like this.
  12. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Brain wave! They should come out with a compressor for chicken picking and call it the "Chick-Fil-A". :lol:

13. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Don't buy JHS when there are other options.

Ian T, DeVilleDude, luckett and 2 others like this.
  14. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

It does seem overpriced. I'm all for these guys making a healthy profit but I don't care much for feeling like I took it in the hiney. I'll go used if I decide to get one but those aren't a whole lot cheaper either.

15. kevsonic

kevsonic Tele-Meister

Snouse Black Box 2 would be the better bet.

sanfi4u and gkterry like this.
  16. Xtyfighterx

Xtyfighterx Tele-Meister

Went with the caline pure sky and saved hundreds I recommend you do the same :)

kevsonic likes this.
  17. johnhe

johnhe Tele-Meister

I have recently bought a Morning Glory. I’d have thought that I would be jaded by now, since I’ve owned so many different overdrives. But the MG still really impresses me. Some Bluesbreaker based pedals go for thicker mid gain tones. For example, the Keeley 1962 sounded fantastic at mid gain, MIAB tones. But personally I didn’t really like the very low gain tones.

One of the greatest things about the MG is that you’re getting an outstanding lower gain, very transparent overdrive which cleans up wonderfully, sounds extremely natural and have an astonishing amount of high end detail. AND, flick the gain switch, and you get a rich sound mid gain MIAB which has impressed me more than my La Grange or Charlie Brown for vintage Marshall tones.

With the little red switch, the MG actually replaced two pedals on my board - my always-on, low gain Bogner Wessex and also the mid gain Charlie Brown.

18. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

I have that, just not on my board at the moment.

Xtyfighterx likes this.
  19. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Afflicted

I prefer the sound of the KOT, also expensive and with around a 3 year waiting list. All are Marshall Blues Breaker based I think. That Caline Pure Sky that Shane reviews sounds really good too.

20. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.