1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Talk me out of refinishing my natural finish Tele Partscaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Knowcaster, Aug 20, 2018.

1. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Absolutely

Jim622, Ira7 and Skamania like this.
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Joining the chorus, it looks great!
    I’d just play it.
    Bravo!

nojazzhere and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  3. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

That is one nice grain PLEASE do not touch it.when I started building (c.1980) i got told that the naturals were the best cuts, next was sunburst, then painted. Yours is beautiful, please leave the wood. I would change the pickguard ( 5 screws only) to single white single ply or , as has been suggested. red/brown tortoise shell.

4. Solaris moon

Solaris moon Tele-Meister

What you have there is EXACTLY what I have aleady decided to do after painting my '51 nocaster in buttescotch blonde although I originally wanted a clear lacquer finish like your guitar. I'm going to do this the same with the same parts and colours. The only difference will be that my finish will be brand new and the wood grain is a lot bolder on my body.

5. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

Difficult choice. I'm not really a fan of natural finish guitars but that is a very nice piece of wood. Maybe a translucent red or blue?

6. Skamania

Skamania Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Keep Tele #1. Tele #2 go crazy with color.

Owenmoney and Ira7 like this.
  7. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I would leave as is, that really is beautiful body on that Tele.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  8. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

Leave it. You'll likely do more harm than good

9. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

I like it just the way it is, however, it’s your guitar, do with it as you please.
    If you do decide to refinish it, I’d go with a reddish brown sunburst or something close.
    You appear to be adept with a rattle can, so I say make yourself happy and I’m sure it will be beautiful.

10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Knowcaster, it looks like you got a great result.

I do not find that Minwax lacquer yellows really - wouldn't mind if it yellowed more, honestly.

What I like is it doesn't look like the pores of the ash are drawing in the finish - I see no dimples and that's a sign you did a great job and should continue to show it off.

If your house is freshly painted, maybe your bike could be repainted? Find something else to paint and when you run out, finish and assemble a second guitar.

When I have done toner or non clear finishes, it was to cover up a less than gorgeous seam or body. You've got a really nice one - too bad, it needs to stay as is!

11. dustoff

dustoff Tele-Holic

Do not touch it !

12. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

I say leave it alone. mess with it and you might put an eye out, ya know?

Different age groups and different genres respond differently to the natural wood finish. But one certainty is that they all look better over time. Patience. That there is some fine looking grain. Let it be.

Skamania likes this.
  13. MountainTwang

MountainTwang TDPRI Member

I'm going to jump on the bandwagon and say don't touch it! Beautiful guitar. If you want a sunburst or custom color just build another one.

14. Knowcaster

Knowcaster Tele-Holic

OK, OK, I hear you (well, most of you)! I guess I shoulda done this as a poll, but the overwhelming opinion seems to be to leave it in its natural state. I'm sure if I mention to my wife that I have the urge to repaint something she will have a list as long as your arm of "projects". Not as much fun as a geetar, but likely more necessary.

The backstory is that a few months ago I had refinished the very first partscaster I ever assembled, more of a kit guitar really. I used white auto paint that aged poorly (doesn't look like a vintage Olympic White Strat if you know what I mean). I redid it with a blue metalic that looks pretty much like Fender's Lake Placid blue, and got a much more even finish than the first go around. The refinishing bug is apparently not out of my system, but maybe after I paint the front porch railing, the eaves of our house, the patio furniture, etc., I won't want to go near a paint can for a long time!

And to those of you who mentioned building and painting a new one, I was thinking of building a hollow body ES style from a kit and doing a nice sunburst (which I have never attempted). I just have to work up an airtight explanation to the missus of how this is nothing like all of the other guitars I already have.

cloink50, Skamania and Tulk like this.
  15. Tulk

Tulk TDPRI Member

FYI, Minwax rattle can poly yellows things like crazy.

As far as a solid color, you'll need to grain fill the hell out of that ash. I mean lay it on with a paint brush!

Also if you color is a acrylic lacquer you need that type of primer otherwise it will react and your flat surface will not be quite so flat.. See belly cut in pic. for clear in a can go with some sort of 2k in a can that combines.

20180821_063502.jpg

Skamania and davila182 like this.
  16. davila182

davila182 TDPRI Member

Refinish to a solid or sunburst, never cared for the natural finish

Tulk likes this.
  17. davila182

davila182 TDPRI Member

Nice

Tulk likes this.
  18. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

Sell the body and do another one

19. gypsy jim

gypsy jim Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I say shake up a can in your favorite color and go at it.

20. brobar

brobar Tele-Holic

Plenty of "rock" guitarists have used natural finish guitars... off the top of my head, Nuno Bettencourt, The Edge, Jerry Garcia, Keith Richards just to name a few. I'm sure there are tons more. Rarely do I look at the finish on a guitar and think "that screams rock", "that screams country", "that screams rockabilly", etc...

Not trying to talk you out of or into anything... just saying plenty of guitarists of all genres have used natural finish guitars.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.