1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Talk me out of (or into) buying a supro

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Bobandy, May 14, 2016.

1. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

?? I had to sell my Vibrolux (~35watts) because it was way too loud for any shows we did. Heck, in a small club, my Deluxe Reverb was too loud to hit the sweet spot a lot of the time.

Anyway, are you talking about the new reissues or the vintage? Different animals.

2. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

Ha! I didn't even see that. Man, I loved that song! In the pre-MTV days – probably around 1978 or 79 – there was a tv show called Video Jukebox with Brit Ekland as the host. That song was in heavy rotation.

Not to hijack or anything... heh...

tubegeek and songtalk like this.
  3. Bobandy

Bobandy TDPRI Member

I might have to get out the smokey outfit to pay for one of these. I'd like the royal reverb but the 35 watts is more then I'll need for home. I can get a used tremoverb for a good price but how much difference is 25 watts compared to 15?

RyCo1983 likes this.
  4. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

I had many great amp over the years , deluxe 67 , twin 66 , duncan convertible etc , my tone recipe as always been amp cord cable guitar . The blackface twin was really great sounding , deluxe a little treblely to me , now i own a princeton and a old Oahu with 6973 and when ever i can use the Valco without the attenuator its sound scary good i cant even play it without shaking like a virgin on a wedding night . I really like it , i tried the reissue that came out 2 year ago it sounded good but not like mine the circuit is really different but the new one is my amp .

The tone stack is minimal , in those amp i think you should see the guitar controls as part of the amp you have to learn to use it , i use to be a everything on full guy not anymore ...
    It take effect well but really most amp do if your sound is from a box .

I play for fun no gigs my tone is my tone i do not need to sound any different for anyone so this amp is for me . It drove me into my own i like to say i great instrument can change someones life , that one turned mine 180 degrees . It has to be played loud , it gets dirty pretty quick and dirtier and really thick playing loud and clean not sure ...

You need to try it anyway ... would i buy replace mine already working on it .

I made many videos of the amp i will share a few , there is more on my ch .

I hope this helps .

Best regards

Mark

sonicsmitty and Wally like this.
  5. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I have the Dual Tone re-issue. Have had it for about 2 years, it's fantastic. On the day I got it, my GF came over and said "did you get a new amp"?, I said "yeah", she said " I thought so, I could tell from out in the driveway, it sounds awesome!"

Trying to figure out which in the line will be my next one.

tubegeek likes this.
  6. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

I played 4 or 5 of these a GC a few weeks back, liked them all a lot, but the one I kept thinking about after I left the store was the little 24-25 watter with the 10...very cool little amp.

7. Mekhem

Mekhem Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Dooo Iiiiiit! Use a coupon. The tremoverb is small, it can be hidden in a corner....

even if you have another amp - bigger/smaller/twin/vox/marshall/etc - that tremoverb will be a great addition. Its light - has great a great reverb/trem circuit and can get loud. Usable bass and treble controls.

No - its not an exact repro of an original valco amp (which comes up in *every* *single* thread about these) but they are a nice line of amps.

One thing that pretty consistent feedback about these amps from people that have played them or own them is.... They are not like any other amp.

Treynor likes this.
  8. Aliengtr

Aliengtr TDPRI Member

I picked up a supro Saturn (traded in a vox ss and a champion 100 Both solid state)plus 500 cash for it. It was new and was about $1100. and man it is amaZing but took a little getting used to. Kind of like deluxe reverb with a huge tight low end.not as loud clean wise as it breaks up at high volumes, but after a while I figured it out.it is awesome!!the low end is really something to behold.for me, you really have to play it for a while to “get it” .man, you have to be the amp whisperer lol. It’s like in that movie where you kind of have to tame the amp before it feels right in your setup. At first I had it way to loud and not dialed in correctly lol

9. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

Never owned but have played thro Supros ... they get loud and dirty quick, so for home use ... mmm?
    1610RT - Switchable 14/7 Watts might be OK?

10. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

You mean she has a sister?!

Your GF sounds like what we call "a keeper."

Wally likes this.
  11. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

I built a 1616T clone, certainly mine deviates from the original amp, but I'm very happy with it, and it was not much more complicated to build than a Champ (differs by one additional tube, a tone control, speed & intensity controls, and an extra R/C in the coupling circuit which I believe is a big part of the nice sound.). I used a Hammond 125CSE output transformer, a bunch of recycled stuff including a power transformer, and I made a couple of small changes to the tremolo circuit to slow it down and extend the speed range as well. There's a switchable cathode bypass on one stage (which doesn't make as much difference as I would have expected.)

It sounds like a clean-to-grungy little single ended amp. The tremolo was good before I messed with it; now I like it even better.

Definitely a buildable project if you like doing that stuff.

I have an old alnico 12" for it, which sounds quite good as a combination.
    20200410_142609.jpg

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  12. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

FWIW I've not heard good things about their quality. I know a local dealer who couldn't wait for their dealer contract to be over because he wanted them out of his shop. Above average returns and Supro isn't good about warranty service. Or so I'm told. YMMV.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

13. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

A nos EH5751instead of 12ax7 & Jan6v6gt's in the egnater may be all you need. I do like the thought of buying new amps myself but then realise what I have fills the bill.

tubegeek likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.