1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Talk me out of (or into) buying a supro

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Bobandy, May 14, 2016.

1. Bobandy

Bobandy TDPRI Member

Want a new amp. I've been eyeing the supros for awhile now and think I'm gonna make a purchase soon. Right now Ive got an egnater rebel 20 with a Panama guitar cab that sounds great but I rarely ever use anything more then medium overdrive and it seems like the rebel is made for drive. I mostly play clean to lightly dirty and want an amp with a great clean tone. I actually think I prefer my bugera v22 clean to the rebel strangely enough. Considered a fender prri or drri but the clips of the supros speak to me much more. Also I mostly play at home so don't need more then 25 watts. Anybody have any input or suggestions?
    Sell the rebel and buy a supro or is there something else in that price range you can recommend more?

mystarryeyes and Tazz3 like this.
  2. vegie1

vegie1 Tele-Meister

I own and gig a supro coronado reissue. I can honestly say that the quality of these far exceeds modern Fender amps in both components and build. I have gigged it non stop since I had it in November and never had any problems.

brookdalebill and Tim S like this.
  3. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

8 months and counting!

vegie1 likes this.
  4. Bobandy

Bobandy TDPRI Member

Just want I wanted to hear. Thanks guys. Been through 4 amps in past year hoping this one will be it for me. Hopefully I can test drive one first but if not most places have good return policy's.

5. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's

Ive always wondered if any of the "NEW" Supros actually sound like a Supro?
    I heard a booteek clone once that sounded really accurate but dont know about the NEW supros.

6. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Since the old Valco company made 27+ amps with Supro on the front (and a bunch of other completely identical amps with different names on them) I often wonder if people just hear "Supro" and think "uh...Supro...Jimmy Page...6973 tubes..."

Q: I want a Fender amp !

A: "Ok - do you want a Champ or a Twin ? Tweed or blackface ? "

Q: I want a Fender amp !

A: Oyyy...

Tim S and xafinity like this.
  7. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's

Isnt that the amp that Supro is banking on people identifying with to sell its amps? And its tremolo? Its the one I most associate with that band name.

Taking orders Mike? I want a 50w blackface Champ with a reverb and a 1/2 stack. :rolleyes:

8. Bobandy

Bobandy TDPRI Member

I've actually never played an old supro so I have nothing to compare to but the demos I've heard give me the impression that it has a unique sound and would fit my style well. I'm not after the vintage supro tone or the Jimmie page tone I just want a nice rich clean tone thats a bit unique. The one I'm after is the Saturn reverb which to my knowledge isn't a reissue of anything. I also know that it's hard to judge an amp from YouTube demos and I may plug into the thing and end up not liking it at all so I guess I'll see.

dross11 likes this.
  9. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

My tech has an old one with a 15. Awesome. It looks brand new, even the plastic cover. The Vibrate Oh! is incredible!

10. Tazz3

Tazz3 Friend of Leo's

I have burgea V 22 head and i love it
    I want a supro also. Have a clone built

11. Maxwell Street

Maxwell Street Friend of Leo's

if you want clean, I'd go more watts than 15...Dual Tone gives you the clean and dirt at 24 watts, Royal Reverb 35 watts switchable etc...

Last edited: May 15, 2016
    songtalk and SunnySky like this.
  12. Fatschlamp

Fatschlamp Tele-Meister

I'm with bobandy...few people have played the original supros and im not sure theyre even aimed at people who have, or even care to sound like the originals - rather, they're a cool looking american made amp with a distinct idea of what they want to sound like, and slotting right into the boutique market for people looking for interesting gear. I played the saturn last weekend and if i had the dosh, it would make the perfect partner to my 68 princeton

13. Sean65

Sean65 Tele-Holic

The most Supro sounding of the new Supro's is alleged to be the Tremo Verb.

They all look great but the Tremo Verb really caught my attention.

14. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

The Supro with 10 or the new SF princeton would work if you are not fighting with drummer.
    Supro more unique but the new SF line are nice.

15. mystarryeyes

mystarryeyes TDPRI Member

I would go for one of the Supro amps. I was originally looking to buy a Fender '65 resissue Deluxe. Tried one of them, then a '68 reissue Deluxe, and also the Vibrolux.
    The only one I liked was the '65 reissue. Then I tried the Supro Royal. It blew each of the Fenders away, imho. The Supro has far more depth and warmth to the sound, and is capable of great clarity, with a super-clean sound, and - with or without decent pedals -
    a really ballsy overdiven sound, not at all mushy like many amps of lesser quality.
    Plus when you turn on the Supro, it's partcically noiseless. Just to be sure, I asked a couple of other musicians who were present, to give the Supro a try and also the Fender '65 reissue. They both came to the same conclusion as me. So, I bought the Supro Royal, took it home and I can honestly say it's awesome! I discovered that I can even play my Martin acoustic through it and it sounds way better than when I plug it into my dedicated acoustic amp!
    The lead guitarist in my band - 'The Records' - namely, Dennis Taylor, an IT guy, who also plays lead guitar for Matthew Sweet - has an Egnater, and knows a great deal about amps and technology in general, anyway, he played my Royal and fell in love with it.
    So I highly recommend you try out the different models in the Supro range, and I'm sure you'll find one that fits your requirements.
    Hope this helps.
    Good luck!

John

Tim S likes this.
  16. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

The 'Starry Eyes' Records??

tubegeek and songtalk like this.
  17. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    I wish I had first hand experience, but I've never played one. The guy I bought my Vibratone from has one for sale, it's in fairly good shape and I know the tech that looked it over for him, he's a good tech. Price seems much cheaper than some of the new ones on the market today. It's the amp in the pic on the far right.

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/msg/5601443166.html

Attached Files:

18. Sean65

Sean65 Tele-Holic

Good to hear such positive reports from someone using one.

19. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

His handle is "mystarryeyes"

tubegeek likes this.
  20. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted

A man's gotta eat Bobandy...
    Make sure you can afford it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.