Talk me out of buying a Uni-Vibe pedal

Tele-friend

Tele-Afflicted
Talk you out of it? OK if you buy a Uni-Vibe pedal I'll tie your tongue in a not. How's that?

Don’t buy the uni-vibe. I owned one and never really found any use for it.
There. I tried to talk you out of it. But you’re gonna get one anyhow. Aren’t you.

Oh well, just trynna help.
Yeah I am getting one, but hey, thanks for trying :)

radiocaster

Doctor of Teleocity
I don't have any experience with any of these, but apparently there are several Moen models.
hcjopcjwxxzi5wkdgque.jpg

uf695o3oimjpnjditaww.jpg

t1agqxhfncdctotbstim.jpg

mrfitz98

Tele-Meister
I've had a Voodoo Labs Micro Vibe for something like 15 years. Intensity around 1 o'clock, speed just above the slowest setting - around 5 o'clock. It is a little noisy, but it has that authentic uni-vibe sound.

Boreas

Doctor of Teleocity
Whatever you get, go fairly cheap. It will give you an idea if you like or use the effect much. If you like the effect, you wi likely jump down the rabbit hole after more of them. If you don't like it, you won't be out much. I wouldn't worry so much how good of a unit you get ar first. The MXR should be fine to test the waters.

Slip Kid

Tele-Afflicted
I’m a Univibe fan and a Voodoo Lab Micro Vibe has been a constant on my pedal board since the late 90’s. I sometimes substitute a MXR Phase 90. I’ve been thinking about getting the JHS Unicorn since it is smaller than the MV.

I love the swirly sound so can’t talk you out of it!

JuneauMike

Poster Extraordinaire
With Univibes it is buyer beware. Many imposters out there, but even they have their uses. The pedals that are commonly thought of as "univibe" and/or list right up front that they use photo cell are well over $200-250 and some can run into the thousands. The ones that don't use a light emitting architecture are digital and cheaper, but tend to lack that characteristic "whomp" or throb that makes a Univibe unique.