Talk me out of buying a Uni-Vibe pedal

JDB2

Tele-Afflicted
However, instead of transistors, the Tube-Vibe utilises vacuum tubes, photocells and a pulsating filament lamp to generate exceptionally rich, swirling chorus and vibrato effects"

Not sure about tubes but I think photocells are probably essential for a good Uni Vibe sound, eg the Deja Vibe. The original didn’t have tubes . . .

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
I know, I know... asking people on TDPRI to talk me out of buying something is like selling ice to Eskimos.

Anyway, I am on a quest to get a modulation pedal that would give me a bit of movement for clean(ish) tones while playing chords and all the way to heavier gain solos (fuzz for example).
I have a flanger but, how would I say it, the effect is a bit too strong. I have a chorus but can never get on with it cause I just dont like its sound.
I need something more subtle, without changing the sound too much and lately I have been thinking about:
-Tremolos
-Phasers
-Rotary
-Uni-Vibe

I think I will go with a Uni-Vibe, probably MXR.
Your thoughts are more than welcome.
If you're talking classic, Uni-Vibes are big and stupid. Just don't.

52BIGSBY

Tele-Meister
Do not bother, buy a flanger with a regeneration knob. No more throbbing bass frequencies screwing up your "driven" tone.
Set as mild as possible and you might find it works. From my own experience only... Think Zappa.

TeleBluesMan

Tele-Holic
A few years ago I wanted something that would give me that Leslie sound. Tried various chorus, uni-vibe, phaser, modulation pedals, etc. but wasn't satisfied until I bought a Neo Mini Vent. Exactly the sound what I was looking for.

Tele-friend

Tele-Afflicted
Thanks for your comments! I will respond in a combined answer below:

I love my Fulltone Deja Vibe
It seems to be the best uni-vibe, a standard, according to many. But a bit too pricey for me unfortunately.

The “wobble” of a Uni-Vibe bugs me. It’s an uneven modulation to my ears, if that makes sense.
I can kind of agree and thanks for trying to talk me out. But I am planing to use it with subtle setting and hope it will work.

A real Leslie or Vibratone is hard to beat.
Agree.

I have an MXR Uni-Vibe. Works well, but I would prefer a Leslie if I were a performer. A Univibe just doesn't sling the sound around a room like an analog Leslie/Vibratone!
Agree again, but for bedroom playing (I am not a performer) it should do the job.

TC Viscous Vibe and download/install the Shin Ei patch/Toneprint.
Been thinking about it. TC makes great pedals.

Do not bother, buy a flanger with a regeneration knob.
My EHX NeoMistres only has a rate and feedback knob, so it is hard to make the effect subtle. Instead of buying another flanger, I would prefer another type of effect.

but wasn't satisfied until I bought a Neo Mini Vent
Mick from That Pedal Show loves it. A bit pricey though.

Vibroluxer

Tele-Afflicted

Blues Twanger

Tele-Afflicted
Be careful, chasing vibes is expensive.

I've been through a lot of vibe pedals and after lots of time and money I have returned to my "fake-vibe" setup that got me started in the first place: a Script Phase 45 before an optical tremolo.

No, it's not the same exactly, but it has the impact I want the effect to have. Had I known I'd end up back there I could've save a few hundred bucks buying and selling the vibes.

radiocaster

Doctor of Teleocity
I have a couple, a BBE Soul Vibe and a Tom's Line Mod Station, which has a Univibe model. And a model in my Zoom G3.

The BBE looks really cool, but the sound is too vintage for me. I don't dislike vintage sounds, bur that pedal doesn't really fit my playing. Plus it boosts too much.

Tom's is by far the best for me. Ir's not a traditional sound, and in fact sounds better after dirt pedals, unlike regular Univibes. It sounds like it has some sort of automatic double tracking, and sounds awesome.

The one in the Zoom is o.k., but I haven't worked it into my playing. I did like an ADT sound I got from that processor, I think it was the Detune model or whatever they called it. ADT is a totally different effect than Univibe.

Leonardocoate

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I know, I know... asking people on TDPRI to talk me out of buying something is like selling ice to Eskimos.

Anyway, I am on a quest to get a modulation pedal that would give me a bit of movement for clean(ish) tones while playing chords and all the way to heavier gain solos (fuzz for example).
I have a flanger but, how would I say it, the effect is a bit too strong. I have a chorus but can never get on with it cause I just dont like its sound.
I need something more subtle, without changing the sound too much and lately I have been thinking about:
-Tremolos
-Phasers
-Rotary
-Uni-Vibe

A good option is a Zoom MS-50g. You can have all of them and you won’t be disappointed

pippoman

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter

-Tremolos
-Phasers
-Rotary
-Uni-Vibe

Don’t buy the uni-vibe. I owned one and never really found any use for it.
There. I tried to talk you out of it. But you’re gonna get one anyhow. Aren’t you.

Oh well, just trynna help.

SixStringSlinger

Poster Extraordinaire
I have one of these:

1660437765838.png

It has three modes that basically go from subtle to wet, wild and in your face. It also has a Blend knob that adjusts the mix between the effect and your dry signal, so achieving something subtle should be easy enough.

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
Don't buy it: the MXR is not a very good pedal. It doesn't sound gooey like a real Univibe.

I did a head to head with what was available 10 years ago and settled on the Voodoo Labs Micro Vibe, which is a fantastic (if a bit noisy) pedal. It even uses a lightbulb and photocells inside like the original.

SRHmusic

Tele-Afflicted
Anybody try a Wampler Nirvana chorus + vibe?

I've played with the model in Amplitube 4 and get some cool Larry Carlton 80s kind of sounds, and it gets pretty groovy with different settings, but I haven't tried a real one with an amp, yet. I like the slight pulsing frequency warp it gives.