Talk me out of buying a Uni-Vibe pedal

Tele-friend

Tele-Afflicted
I know, I know... asking people on TDPRI to talk me out of buying something is like selling ice to Eskimos.

Anyway, I am on a quest to get a modulation pedal that would give me a bit of movement for clean(ish) tones while playing chords and all the way to heavier gain solos (fuzz for example).
I have a flanger but, how would I say it, the effect is a bit too strong. I have a chorus but can never get on with it cause I just dont like its sound.
I need something more subtle, without changing the sound too much and lately I have been thinking about:
-Tremolos
-Phasers
-Rotary
-Uni-Vibe

I think I will go with a Uni-Vibe, probably MXR.
Your thoughts are more than welcome.

Last edited:

JDB2

Tele-Afflicted
I love my Fulltone Deja Vibe and it fulfills my chorus needs. I tried the MXR but it didn’t quite have the sound in my head from the classic recordings. Lots of people like it though.

Weazel

Tele-Afflicted
I had a Voodoo Labs Micro Vibe once.
I hated it, cause it added a lot of unwanted treble and noise other than the vibe effect.

I now have a NUX Roctary, which i like very much, and the price was nice as well. It does about everything from light chorus, vibe to full organesque stuff.

Wooly Fox

Tele-Meister
I was in the same position last year with wanting a wobbly sound but needed more tweakability.

It turns out the best vibe sound I found was the excellent ThorpyFX Pulse Doppler phaser. It's based on a Lovel Pedal Doppelganger (Dan Coggins helped design both pedals). Look up some videos on it and see what you think.

The sweet spot for me is the manual knob just above 11 o'clock, depth and rate at 9 o'clock and Enhance off. Can get very throbby if you wind up the blend knob.

nickmm

Tele-Holic
A real Leslie or Vibratone is hard to beat. SRV, Beatles, Frampton, Pink Floyd, Hendrix, Mike Campbell.

A Univibe was an early attempt to simulate a Leslie using phase shifting, a bit of a one trick pony.
The TC gold is pretty useable for Chorus/Flanger/Vibrato.
Electric Mistress is a good for chorus/flanger. (Police and Pink Floyd)
CE-1 clones can be very cool if run in Stereo. Cocaine Eric Clapton when in chorus mode.
MXR Phase 90 is a sound of the 70's.
A Tremolo pedal is cool but not a modulation effect.
Fender style Tremolo aside most mod effects are a reference to a Leslie cab with the Chorus/Tremolo Fast Slow settings.
Flangers where to recreate the Tape Flanging effect of the psychedelic 60's songs.

Last edited:

OlDefGuy

Tele-Meister
Currently have a Keeley Darkside on my board, it does a respectable phase/vibe/Leslie/flange/delay thing with a distortion/fuzz as a bonus. Add an expression pedal and a Wah and I’m good to go.

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I am probably not one that could really help you with that .... :twisted:

DarkSidePed-large.jpg.auto.jpg r37dtyjr9ikgkdaqzidf.jpg

Last edited:

Doctorx33

Friend of Leo's
Everyone needs a little vibe. If you don’t want to spend a lot of money you can check it out with an inexpensive one like the Kokko Vibe or the Shaky Jimi. If you like the sound you can upgrade but these are pretty good sounding pedals for the money.

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
I’ll give it shot. The “wobble” of a Uni-Vibe bugs me. It’s an uneven modulation to my ears, if that makes sense. Maybe it will bug you as well.
I had a Dunlop Rotovibe that I got mostly for vibrato to try to get that Magnatone sound--this was after that Robert Ward Fear No Evil album came out early 90's--and it just sounded anxious and nervous to me. I hated it.

Boreas

Doctor of Teleocity
I know, I know... asking people on TDPRI to talk me out of buying something is like selling ice to Eskimos.

Anyway, I am on a quest to get a modulation pedal that would give me a bit of movement for clean(ish) tones while playing chords and all the way to heavier gain solos (fuzz for example).
I have a flanger but, how would I say it, the effect is a bit too strong. I have a chorus but can never get on with it cause I just dont like its sound.
I need something more subtle, without changing the sound too much and lately I have been thinking about:
-Tremolos
-Phasers
-Rotary
-Uni-Vibe

I think I will go with a Uni-Vibe, probably MXR.
Your thoughts are more than welcome.
I have an MXR Uni-Vibe. Works well, but I would prefer a Leslie if I were a performer. A Univibe just doesn't sling the sound around a room like an analog Leslie/Vibratone!

schmee

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I have had a Deja Vibe ....twice. I love the tone playing lead. It vocalizes. Having said that... I tend to over use them and get tired of them pretty fast. I set mine very strong but on dead slow wobble. More like a strong slow-cycle chorus. I heard a touring player once play one with a Super reverb in a club, no OD, and just the Mini Deja Vibe. Man that sounded sweet.

Today I would rather have a B9 pedal or something as good as that, but nah, ain't spending that kinda money.

Mikecito

Tele-Meister
I would look more at tremolo and maybe other chorus pedals for the more subtle movement under your tone. Imo univibe is better as a loud stunt effect.

Friend of Leo's
TC Viscous Vibe and download/install the Shin Ei patch/Toneprint.
Set the speed around 10 o'clock and max the intensity and vol. :cool:

Fancy some thing more 'swirly'.... Switch to Chorus mode and back the intensity off to 2 o'clock.

RetiredUnit1

Tele-Holic
I have one. It's in the unwanted pedals drawer, with about $5000 worth of other pedals I've used in the past 55 years....

It sounds good, but it is SUCH a one trick pony that I removed it from the pedal board 20 years ago.

JDB2

Tele-Afflicted
I set mine very strong but on dead slow wobble. More like a strong slow-cycle chorus.
That’s exactly the way I like to play my deja vibe. Think Robin Trower. And put them in the chain before overdrive.

And I disagree somewhat about one trick pony because to me it sounds like a regular chorus on weaker settings.

If it’s a one trick pony it’s an awesome trick.

Hey_you

Friend of Leo's
Out of many's budget, but nice to know about. I own one.

"The Tube-Vibe™ is a no compromise, innovative and original re-design of the classic Uni-Vibe pedal. However, instead of transistors, the Tube-Vibe utilises vacuum tubes, photocells and a pulsating filament lamp to generate exceptionally rich, swirling chorus and vibrato effects"